My Venezuelan FN-49

USMA-82

NES Member
Last weekend I stopped by Renaissance Firearms in Gonic, NH (just south of Rochester off Route 125). I had never been in before, but heard good things from others.

Wouldn't you know it - the owner, Ernie, just got in a bunch of milsurp rifles. When I was there, there was an FAL, several SKS's, several Enfileds, and a Mosin or two. But there was also this:

VeneFN-49014.jpg

VeneFN-49015.jpg

VeneFN-49021.jpg

Unfortunately, not all matching, and the muzzle brake is a repro, not an original. But, it has at least 95% (+) bluing, a really nice stock, and decent barrel. I just about crapped my pants when I saw it marked at only $365.00.

I asked Ernie about it - and he told me several people had looked at it, but didn't know much about them. Also, for some reason, the bolt carrier would not lock back. Well, when I told Ernie I knew a little about the rifles, he pulled out a gun vise, his bore light, and any tools I needed. I discovered the firing pin had broken off and was wedged at the back of the receiver. Two seconds later, it was out of there, and the carrier locked back just fine!

After I put the rifle back together, I asked Ernie for his best price. He said, $275.... I said "SOLD!" So, for $295 (had to buy the replacement firing pin), I now have the rifle you see above.

Oh, one other goodie.... Ernie said the owner brought the gun in with a .50 ammo box of ammo, so he threw that in as well! Inside were approx. 200 rounds of 7mm Mauser surplus (FN 70), a handful of .30 carbine rounds, some .308 and some .223 rounds! And two Garand clips! Holy crap!

I brought the rifle to the range yesterday after installing the firing pin (2-piece), and found it shot very well with the surplus - even better than with commercial ammo. I'll have to work up a few loads to see what she'll do.

In summary - if you're ever in the Rochester, NH area, be sure to stop in to see Ernie. Nice guy, nice deals.

Nice Vennie! GREAT price! Looks like an early one, I think the mag looks Egyptian though but I see parts avail. for them from time to time. Man, you stole that!

Yeah, the mag is the only nasty part on it. The serial number is 66X, so it is one of the "early variant" Vene's - first 2000 delivered in 1949 - that did not have the stock stamp.

I ordered an original FN-49 sling for it, but the sling that was on it was so much more robust I decided to stay with it. Close enough.

Nice thing is that these were pretty much all imported in the 1960's so no import stamp.

Another surprise - the surplus FN rounds are all boxer primed! They're downstairs being tumbled right now.....

Nice score and bonus ammo to boot! Sounds like a great deal.

Now PM me with info about the SKS types along with contact info for Ernie in case I need it. [wink]

Ken... you know why you got this rifle don't you?

This is the last part of your reward from the Surplus Gods for passing on that $250 Hakim at the Wilmington show that year when you saw me fondling it like some stripper's boobs on $10 lap dance night.

Your first score, if I remember, was the heist at Stricklands. From there you upped your earnings in the God's eyes by telling us about the deals there. (I still have people trying to buy that mint No4Mk2 Enfield off me for twice as much as I paid btw.[smile])

Good deeds in the surplus world don't go un-noticed. Enjoy that beauty.[wink]

Man, you stole that!

Music to a Milsurp Collector's ears...

Yes, the Milsurp Gods have been good to me. For every carcano with a bulged barrel, there have been many more nice guns.

By the way, Milsurps 4 Me, the Hakim was in Marlboro, not Wilmington....

And I still don't have one, damn it! I'm just waiting for the Two-fer Egyptian rifle sale in the near future - Hakim and Rasheed together for under $700.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

Back
Top Bottom