• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Last Rifle

Not so much for me. In my prime I could bench 200 and squat 600. Just before my heart attack, I could curl only 35# and barely squat the weight mount only. Now I can just barely lift a 50# bag of rabbit kibble. Bringing it to the second floor is maximum effort for me. On the positive side, I couldn't even do that 2 years ago. I started declining in my 30s. I'm lucky to be here at all, so I make do with what I've got.
t

Last edited:
Turns out the trigger has a a sort of a rough spot that acts exactly like a double stage trigger. Its the only Mosin I've held that I actually know when the trigger will break.
t
Are you sure it doesn't have the Finnish mod to the trigger?

Not so much for me. In my prime I could bench 200 and squat 600. Just before my heart attack, I could curl only 35# and barely squat the weight mount only. Now I can just barely life a 50# bag of rabbit kibble. Bringing it to the second floor is maximum effort for me. On the positive side, I couldn't even do that 2 years ago. I started declining in my 30s. I'm lucky to be here at all, so I make do with what I've got.
t

Gotta count your blessings and keep on keeping on the best you can. i had back operation #8 last October as my legs just weren’t working right but I am back to getting around reasonably well with a cane.

Bob

IIRC, these shoot high don’t they?
t
Yes they do....mine are all about 8 in he's high at 100 yards. Russia trained troops to aim for the belt buckle......pretty much guaranteed a "hit" between the abdomen to the neck at any distance. A pretty sound tactic in my opinion.

IIRC, these shoot high don’t they?
t

No idea about the Finnish Mosins, but the M91/30 I owned shot a little high, but nothing crazy at 100. Though, mine was a refurb and shot fairly well. If a rifle's zeroed for around 200 meters, it should hit POA at around 20 meters, too.

I'd try it at around 25 yards first and see what happens. Bring a few big targets, or staple a bunch of little ones together, just in case [laugh]

Good for you...had surgeries 17, 18, and 19 last year. Was able to hang up the cane in October and get a part time job in November. That doesn’t take into account the 13 concussions and heart attack I’ve also had. Depending on testing in April, I may be looking at surgery #20 later this year for a heart defribulator.
t

Are you sure it doesn't have the Finnish mod to the trigger?

Gotta count your blessings and keep on keeping on the best you can. i had back operation #8 last October as my legs just weren’t working right but I am back to getting around reasonably well with a cane.

Bob

No idea about the Finnish Mosins, but the M91/30 I owned shot a little high, but nothing crazy at 100. Though, mine was a refurb and shot fairly well. If a rifle's zeroed for around 200 meters, it should hit POA at around 20 meters, too.

I'd try it at around 25 yards first and see what happens. Bring a few big targets, or staple a bunch of little ones together, just in case [laugh]
Can’t do rifle at 25 at my range...50 if I want to. I’ve 20 rounds and 4 targets. Shooting cart loaded up.
t

Good for you...had surgeries 17, 18, and 19 last year. Was able to hang up the cane in October and get a part time job in November. That doesn’t take into account the 13 concussions and heart attack I’ve also had. Depending on testing in April, I may be looking at surgery #20 later this year for a heart defribulator.
t

Yikes. It is amazing what they can do these days. I‘m glad that you were at least able to hang up your cane.

Bob

There was one other guy with me at the 100 range....and he was shooting a 1943 Mosin carbine...Ba-WHAM...he spent his time shooting at the gong and was doing very well. It was a Russian kind of day. When he was taking a break, I swiveled left and took one shot at the gong....and hit it. Made myself look very good considering what the paper results looked like.
t

Meh is about right for most mosins
I remember my very first shot with my 1928 unmodified dragoon - split the X at 50 yards - never did that well again.

As I suspected, this 1922 does have a functional dual stage trigger. I'm not sure what anomaly caused it, but I'm not complaining.
t

Back
Top Bottom