My M1 Garand has arrived! Range Report Update

I was there when he first opened, the 308s he had where only 2 cents per bullet more than I could get shipped BUT you dont have to buy 2000 of them.

I just called him and he's got Sierra and Hornady 150s and 168s both in BTHP, FMJ, Soft Points etc. Prices ranged from $25-$40 per 100.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats looks great. I need to get my hands on one soon.

Thanks. Ya you should definitely get one while they're still available and affordable.

I just called him and he's got Sierra and Hornady 150s and 168s both in BTHP, FMJ, Soft Points etc. Prices ranged from $25-$40 per 100.

he's also got some bags of pulls for a good price as I recall. You can also find some clips, garand cleaning tools, etc there

he's also got some bags of pulls for a good price as I recall. You can also find some clips, garand cleaning tools, etc there

Nice. Ya I'll stop by sometime in the next couple weeks to get some bullets to try. I've only got 1 pound of IMR-4064 so that's like 150 rounds so rather than have to buy 1000+ bullets online to get a good price I can buy a couple hundred from Glenn's for a few dollars more.

Nice! I love mine! Why don't you see if you can take her down to the Old Colony CMP shoot next month? Nothing like hearing a line of M1's shooting in rapid fire!

I agree few weeks ago I had the kids down Pembroke for breakfast rapid prone had just went off. The kitchen window and doors where open my kids all jumped and said WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT!

I only hope they remove some of the rubber stuff from the impact area so we can have proper target pulling\scoreing......

That said I have Karma running for this last event of the year @ Old colony Pembroke Ma. Thanks to NES Member Mountain for paying his karma forward.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...MP-M1-CLINIC-OLD-COLONY-PEMBROKE-MA-10-5-2014 There is also a Service Rifle match running along with the garand clinic.... AR/sks/Ak/m14s ectect

So jealous. Fun fact. My grandfather's last name is Garand. He'll be 100 in January. A WWII Vet. Wish he had one of these bad boys laying around. I WILL own one someday.

Yea, if you guys want one make it your top priority. I just sent in the order today with my check, and was surprised that between the price increase and the increase in shipping, the price increase is about $75 bucks, give or take. But even at that, once the CMP runs out the prices will go up, even if the next president lets in those crates from South Korea that Barry banned. They clearly are a good investment.

Now, I don't think they're going to run out of rifles soon, but hey, they don't have any more M1 Carbines either. One day, the CMP will be out of Garands. At least reasonably priced ones anyway.

Last edited:
I was able to hit the range yesterday afternoon and blow through 72 rounds! That was a quick $47 spent haha. Anyway, it shot great and was so much fun! I easily could have shot the whole ammo can yesterday. But I don't think my wallet or shoulder would like that. I was only wearing a T-shirt so my shoulder was getting a little sore but nothing crazy.

After getting a feel for the recoil and sights, it was shooting pretty darn good I thought!

These were a few 3 shot groups at 50 yards:
View attachment 114827View attachment 114828

And these were at 100 yards (still need to get use to the sights a bit, but not bad for my first time I'd say?):
View attachment 114829View attachment 114830

I think this one is a good shooter, especially once I start reloading soon. Which brings up a question/concern I have. Most of my brass was getting ejected at the 2 o'clock position but a few were going to the 3-330 position. But the brass was getting really banged up, just the casemouths were getting dented and nothing else.

There's concrete all around the bench tables and then grass in front of the table so most of the brass was hitting the grass/dirt but the one's hitting the concrete were definitely getting dinged up bad. There were a few that landed in the grass that were still getting banged up. But I don't think it's really the concrete causing the casemouths to get dented, probably just the action of the gun I assume? Most of them I think are still reloadable but there's a few I doubt whether they can be salvaged:
View attachment 114831View attachment 114832

I got the brass tumbling as we speak so I'll find out later this week if they can be 'ironed out' when I resize them.

Last edited:
I was able to hit the range yesterday afternoon and blow through 72 rounds! That was a quick $47 spent haha. Anyway, it shot great and was so much fun! I easily could have shot the whole ammo can yesterday. But I don't think my wallet or shoulder would like that. I was only wearing a T-shirt so my shoulder was getting a little sore but nothing crazy.

After getting a feel for the recoil and sights, it was shooting pretty darn good I thought!

These were a few 3 shot groups at 50 yards:
View attachment 114827View attachment 114828

And these were at 100 yards (still need to get use to the sights a bit, but not bad for my first time I'd say?):
View attachment 114829View attachment 114830

I think this one is a good shooter, especially once I start reloading soon. Which brings up a question/concern I have. Most of my brass was getting ejected at the 2 o'clock position but a few were going to the 3-330 position. But the brass was getting really banged up, just the casemouths were getting dented and nothing else.

There's concrete all around the bench tables and then grass in front of the table so most of the brass was hitting the grass/dirt but the one's hitting the concrete were definitely getting dinged up bad. There were a few that landed in the grass that were still getting banged up. But I don't think it's really the concrete causing the casemouths to get dented, probably just the action of the gun I assume? Most of them I think are still reloadable but there's a few I doubt whether they can be salvaged:
View attachment 114831View attachment 114832

I got the brass tumbling as we speak so I'll find out later this week if they can be 'ironed out' when I resize them.

whoo hooo............. If I didnt send it already I could send you the "good enough for GI" 1000 inch target to see if your M1 is up to par! looks good though

As for your brass..............Hahahahahaha M1 beats the sknot out of the brass. Those are fine. You can run a tapered punch or other similar items to get them ironed out a little before running through the sizer.

whoo hooo............. If I didnt send it already I could send you the "good enough for GI" 1000 inch target to see if your M1 is up to par! looks good though

As for your brass..............Hahahahahaha M1 beats the sknot out of the brass. Those are fine. You can run a tapered punch or other similar items to get them ironed out a little before running through the sizer.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy with the HXP ammo and my first time shooting it. I had to adjust the windage quite a bit to center the shots on the target. Now I just need adjust the elevation just a tad to lower the shots into the black.

Ya it really destroys the brass. I was getting pissed because I knew they were costing me 65 cents each and the thought of not being able to reload them was getting me mad haha. I'll have to search for a tapered punch you speak of.

no need for a tapered punch, just take another live round and stick the tip into the neck of the dented case to straighten it out.

no need for a tapered punch, just take another live round and stick the tip into the neck of the dented case to straighten it out.

Now that's a cheap creative solution. Hopefully the casemouth that's shaped like a pear can be straightened out with a live round lol.

that's the way I do it and the beauty is you can shoot the 'punch' afterwards [wink]

Seems like a win-win solution to me. I'll have to check it out.

Can't wait for my Hornady 150 and 168 gr bullets to arrive. Got 4 pounds of 4064 now, that should last me a little while.

Also I hope the corn cob media will be aggressive enough to clean the cases. That brass is quite dirty.

Now, I don't think they're going to run out of rifles soon, but hey, they don't have any more M1 Carbines either. One day, the CMP will be out of Garands. At least reasonably priced ones anyway.

I dont know when, but i think it is closer than you think. they are down to two options. service grade and field grade. you have been able to pick manufacturer for years. Now that's gone.

I remember when they ran out of carbines. I had an open order for 2 M1s for $500 each (field grades). Money got tight and i called CMP and cancelled them. 2 months later they were gone!!! they would have been easily worth $800 each today.

if you don't have one, get one..... time is running out.....They will be $1K each two years later (at the latest)

or just wait until then and i will sell you one. [wink]

I dont know when, but i think it is closer than you think. they are down to two options. service grade and field grade. you have been able to pick manufacturer for years. Now that's gone.

I remember when they ran out of carbines. I had an open order for 2 M1s for $500 each (field grades). Money got tight and i called CMP and cancelled them. 2 months later they were gone!!! they would have been easily worth $800 each today.

if you don't have one, get one..... time is running out.....They will be $1K each two years later (at the latest)

or just wait until then and i will sell you one. [wink]

This is exactly why I bought mine. Still affordable and available now so why not get one. I wish the carbines and 1903s were still available when I first got my LTC.

I'm buying a carbine from a fellow NESer next weekend. I honestly need to take a break on spending, especially with a wedding next October. But I want to hurry up and get one before they're outrageously expensive.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy with the HXP ammo and my first time shooting it. I had to adjust the windage quite a bit to center the shots on the target. Now I just need adjust the elevation just a tad to lower the shots into the black.

Ya it really destroys the brass. I was getting pissed because I knew they were costing me 65 cents each and the thought of not being able to reload them was getting me mad haha. I'll have to search for a tapered punch you speak of.

make sure your front sight is tight, so far of the 6 M1s I recieved from cmp the front sight was loose enough to push with fingers on 5 of them.
The bullet will wor also insead of a punch. I have the punch handy on the work bench near my case prep area.

Andrew, when you find yourself having to move the rear windage knob a significant amount to center a group, you're better off moving the front sight. Center the rear windage and then move the front sight to the right if missing left, or to the left if missing right. Depending on the rifle, sometimes the front sight has to be moved quite a bit. Then use the rear windage for fine adjustments.

Here is a good article on zeroing her in.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id23.html

This is exactly why I bought mine. Still affordable and available now so why not get one. I wish the carbines and 1903s were still available when I first got my LTC.

I'm buying a carbine from a fellow NESer next weekend. I honestly need to take a break on spending, especially with a wedding next October. But I want to hurry up and get one before they're outrageously expensive.

If its reasonable to get these things now do so, once married,house,kids come into play it gets harder to find money and time for "your" fun stuff

If its reasonable to get these things now do so, once married,house,kids come into play it gets harder to find money and time for "your" fun stuff

That too, very true. I hope she doesn't want kids as I'm content with just having our puggle dog lol. I keep telling her I don't want the stress financially/physically of raising a family haha. But that's a whole other discussion.

But yes that is my plan, buy now while I still can.

- - - Updated - - -

Andrew, when you find yourself having to move the rear windage knob a significant amount to center a group, you're better off moving the front sight. Center the rear windage and then move the front sight to the right if missing left, or to the left if missing right. Depending on the rifle, sometimes the front sight has to be moved quite a bit. Then use the rear windage for fine adjustments.

Here is a good article on zeroing her in.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id23.html

Good to know, thanks! Learn something new everyday here on NES.

That too, very true. I hope she doesn't want kids as I'm content with just having our puggle dog lol. I keep telling her I don't want the stress financially/physically of raising a family haha. But that's a whole other discussion.

Congrats on the Garand. Im going to head over to the CMP site right now and print out the app. I dont know why Ive been putting it off, but I know if/when the supply dries up, or some legislation or executive order comes down putting an end to them I'll be kicking myself in the ass for not pulling the trigger.

Congrats on the Garand. Im going to head over to the CMP site right now and print out the app. I dont know why Ive been putting it off, but I know if/when the supply dries up, or some legislation or executive order comes down putting an end to them I'll be kicking myself in the ass for not pulling the trigger.

Thanks. Ya the supply is certainly not unlimited as 40 caliber mentioned. I think I'll be done with gun purchases for the year after I get the M1 carbine next weekend. Then I need to focus my money/time on reloading. Just bought a bunch of Hornady bullets for the Garand and 300 rounds of 30 carbine ammo, 30-06 dies, 30 carbine dies, powder etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom