• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My M1 Garand has arrived! Range Report Update

DW357

NES Member
Just picked up my service grade M1 Garand from FedEx today. +1 muzzle and throat readings, WRA trigger group, 1940 SA receiver, 1954 barrel, and new wood stock. I asked for GI wood but it didn't work out, oh well. The new wood is quite nice, no dings or scratches which I do like. Eventually I'd like to seal the wood with something to keep out the moisture a little better than the staining that's on it now.

The bore is very shiny and doesn't have any pitting that I can see with a flashlight. All in all I'm very excited! I won't have time to disassemble and clean/lube until Friday or Saturday, so hopefully I can hit the range this weekend. I hope it shoots decent, I know the +1 readings aren't a guarantee it will shoot the best, I'll find out soon enough.

Here are the pictures. Forgive me if they're not the best, I was in a rush to take the photos and upload to this thread before I have to drive back down to Fall River tonight.

View attachment 114436View attachment 114435View attachment 114434View attachment 114433View attachment 114432View attachment 114431View attachment 114430View attachment 114429

Last edited:
Nice, always wanted one myself but something else always presented itself. Enjoy.

Thanks. Ya I've wanted one for a while. Can't wait to shoot it. I'd like to get my 84 year old grandfather to the range this weekend as I just recently told him I bought one. He said he had the M1 Carbine when he was in Korea so I think my next purchase will be a M1 Carbine if I can find one for a fair price.

The new wood is quite nice, no dings or scratches which I do like. Eventually I'd like to seal the wood with something to keep out the moisture a little better than the staining that's on it now.
-----------------------------------------------------
raw_linseed_oil_2.jpg

http://www.grandgear.com./m1-garand-linseed.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since it's a new stock, only apply the raw cold pressed linseed oil. Once a week apply a coat for a month, than once a month for a year.

My rifle
1560429_10203110510350106_1868802118_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice man! Congrats!

That feeling you get the first time you hear the clip eject...

Haha thanks. Ya I ejected the clip a few times just to hear the noise [laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Cool. Thanks for the info!

CMP forum has tons of info on what kind of concoctions people use on their new stocks. I used linseed oil on mine. I love how it came out. It took a couple of applications to quench its thirst.
I had to do some work on the stock where the op rod rides. It was rubbing. Again, there are several threads over there on the CMP stock tuning.
Ping !

Your trigger guard is Winchester (and forged... nice) but is the housing? Not that it matters [wink]
Just get some boiled linseed oil locally and give the furniture a few applications... then buy 2 more M1s so you can properly use the stacking swivels [smile]

Last edited:
Nice! That WRA trigger group would probably fetch a pretty penny and you could get a Springfield group that matches your gun's vintage for probably about 100 bucks.

The barrel is probably new/unused. Mine came with a 1/1 barrel too and as I was reading about them I found out that a new barrel could have a TE reading up to 2+. Should shoot great.

nice ....... shoot the hell out of it JCG wouldn't want it any other way. also shoot a lot before your eyes go. I'm struggling even with the Rx..... ****ing bullseye vanishes after 15 rounds or so!!!!
New wood .........do what you wish for finish.
my gun I use in matches has minwax tung oil finish....its tougher than the other oils....but not a layer on top like poly or varnish.
tung oil
true oil
linseed oil
ectect all good

Looks very good; as you I would have preferred GI wood. I don't seem to have the luck; the last one I ordered was FG as SG was not available. They became available 1 week after I got mine; go figure.

T

Sweet 5 digit SA. Congrats!
When are you ordering your second one? [wink]
Post range report please.
I think you'll be impressed.

Haha I don't think I'll be ordering a second one anytime soon. I think my next purchase will be a M1 Carbine if I can find one. Yes I'll definitely follow up with a range report.

- - - Updated - - -

nice ....... shoot the hell out of it JCG wouldn't want it any other way. also shoot a lot before your eyes go. I'm struggling even with the Rx..... ****ing bullseye vanishes after 15 rounds or so!!!!
New wood .........do what you wish for finish.
my gun I use in matches has minwax tung oil finish....its tougher than the other oils....but not a layer on top like poly or varnish.
tung oil
true oil
linseed oil
ectect all good

Cool, ya I think I'll eventually get some tung oil/linseed oil whatever, to put on the stock.

Mine is on order. How long did you wait?

Mailed forms 8/10
Order received 8/14
Email received 8/25
Hit estore 9/3
Shipped yesterday 9/15, Received 9/16

So just over a month, not too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks very good; as you I would have preferred GI wood. I don't seem to have the luck; the last one I ordered was FG as SG was not available. They became available 1 week after I got mine; go figure.

T

Yeah GI wood would have been nice but I don't really mind the new wood stock as it looks sharp I think.

Haha I don't think I'll be ordering a second one anytime soon. I think my next purchase will be a M1 Carbine if I can find one. Yes I'll definitely follow up with a range report.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, ya I think I'll eventually get some tung oil/linseed oil whatever, to put on the stock.

think dead winter project!! shoot while the shooting is good!

Nice! That WRA trigger group would probably fetch a pretty penny and you could get a Springfield group that matches your gun's vintage for probably about 100 bucks.

Your trigger guard is Winchester (and forged... nice) but is the housing? Not that it matters [wink]

So what's so great about the Winchester trigger groups? Forgive my Garand ignorance lol. They built better/stronger? As I see you mentioned it's forged?

How much is a pretty penny if I sold the Winchester trigger group?

think dead winter project!! shoot while the shooting is good!

Ya definitely a good winter project! On top of reloading 30-06. Which reminds me, I need to chat with my coworker who lives in NH and see if he'll let me ship some Hornady 30 cal bullets to his house. As you said before, I need to buy them while they're still available.

Ya definitely a good winter project! On top of reloading 30-06. Which reminds me, I need to chat with my coworker who lives in NH and see if he'll let me ship some Hornady 30 cal bullets to his house. As you said before, I need to buy them while they're still available.

lots of those over at Glenn's

Wonder what he's charging. One of these days I'll drive over there. I'm just never in that area. But I'll make sure I stop by soon.
I was there when he first opened, the 308s he had where only 2 cents per bullet more than I could get shipped BUT you dont have to buy 2000 of them.

For one thing, you can install a winter trigger if you are sent to the Russian Front...

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/accessoryhtml/accwintertrig.html
winter3.jpg

Enjoy that rifle!

Interesting, thanks. I hope to shoot it this weekend if I can disassemble and lube it as soon as I get home on Friday.

- - - Updated - - -

I was there when he first opened, the 308s he had where only 2 cents per bullet more than I could get shipped BUT you dont have to buy 2000 of them.

That ain't bad. I'll have to stop by. I wonder if he has 150 and 168 gr bullets.

Last edited:
So what's so great about the Winchester trigger groups? Forgive my Garand ignorance lol. They built better/stronger? As I see you mentioned it's forged?

Many people like the Winchesters due to the name recognition and the 'Winchester' script on the heal. The reality is the Winchester parts as a whole tend to be less well machined than the other manufacturers. They function fine but the surface finish is indicative of Winchester not changing out their tooling as often. This is also evident in their M14 production.

The earlier forged trigger guards by any manufacturer accept the winter trigger.

Nice! I love mine! Why don't you see if you can take her down to the Old Colony CMP shoot next month? Nothing like hearing a line of M1's shooting in rapid fire!

Nice! I love mine! Why don't you see if you can take her down to the Old Colony CMP shoot next month? Nothing like hearing a line of M1's shooting in rapid fire!

Ya I'd like to get to a cmp shoot so I'll see if I can make it. My club in Gloucester had a cmp clinic in November that I may try to attend as well.

Back
Top Bottom