My holstered gun scared a Boston media wuss

You're obviously a far more grizzled veteran of the mean streets, and live a much more tactical lifestyle that the various police officers, federal agents and air marshalls who shoot USPSA/IPSC matches and are actually able to follow the match rules.

IPSC is as relevant to gunfighting as skeet is to duck hunting. [thinking]

What's wrong is that apparently "guy carrying a concealed gun = off duty cop" is what first came to this match director's mind.

A shooter should know better.---jose
I don’t know what was going through the MD’s mind and nobody else here does either. But I’d guess he was sizing up an unknown entity, a smart move on his part.

Idiots carrying guns do show up at IPSC matches (as do idiots with cased guns) and the MD or RO getting a feel for a new/unknown shooter is not uncommon. And of course carrying a gun doesn’t mean you’re safe or knowledgeable about the sport you were planning to shoot.

I think that it was a “good” question as both USPSA and IDPA are very safety conscious. You’re being upset about is the curious thing.

Perhaps I will just stay away from IPSC…---jose
USPSA will miss you.

IPSC is as relevant to gunfighting as skeet is to duck hunting.---jose
Absolutely true, both improve your shooting skills!

jkelly

At my range, they specifically state in the briefing that if you are carrying your competition gun, find a RO who will bring you to the firing line and clear the weapon at that point. No big deal.

USPSA rules (the US flavor of IPSC) will require this service at matches starting 1/1/2008.

At my range, they specifically state in the briefing that if you are carrying your competition gun, find a RO who will bring you to the firing line and clear the weapon at that point. No big deal.

I love my range.

Same here, at most of the shooting events I go to, I just talk to
an RO and then they observe you make safe / show clear. It's not
a big deal. Even in MA most RO's are concious of the fact that
some people carry loaded firearms with them just about everywhere.

-Mike

Ross,

Almost 100% of the people who shot at my former clubs were like this. They looked aghast at anyone who carried a gun. And I'm not talking about any matches that forbid loaded guns, so there were no range rules to consider.

There was even some comments passed when a person sitting near me at a MF&G meeting noticed that the president was CCW'g. The comment had me aghast so that I asked Fred if there was any kind of rule against it (nope) . . . I know that there were a number of people at that meeting that were CCW'g and I don't want to be part of any club that prohibits that!

That's why I call them FUDDs!

Like I said, Len, what optimism. At Riverside they require you to unload any guns before going inside. I assume that they mean for meetings, too, since there's no exception listed on the sign.

Always seemed kind of stupid since, after all, it's a GUN club. But I guess that's what you get when you have a BAR on premises. I guess they think that all members are potential drunks who can't control themselves. [rolleyes]

Always seemed kind of stupid since, after all, it's a GUN club. But I guess that's what you get when you have a BAR on premises. I guess they think that all members are potential drunks who can't control themselves. [rolleyes]

Or it could be a result of an insurance policy requirement??????

This being the VolksRepublik of MA, that's entirely possible, Bob.

Or it could be because the club is, by and large, run by FUDDs.

Or it could be a result of an insurance policy requirement??????
I have been involved in the purchase of gun club insurance on several occasions, and have never encounered such a requirement.

The Hopkinton club did away with the "no carry guns" requirement years ago when I was on the rules committee. While there is reason to run cold ranges when people carry guns in rigs totally unlike "carry rigs", someone exercising concealed carry should be using a holdter that does not present such an issue. Requiring "unloaded in clubhouse" at a gun club, without providing a gun clearing/reloading area without a backstop, encourages actions like "unload in car" or "step to the side of the club interest and unload - both actions that are less safe than allowing the gun to remain holster.

My experience is similar to some here- go to the SO, tell them you're carrying, they'll let you go downrange to clear. No biggy... as long as the only gun handling is at the safe area (with no ammo) or with the direction of an SO.

I've shot at both cold and hot ranges before... doesn't make much difference to me. In either case if I see anyone unholstering a gun NOT under the conditions I described a few sentences earlier... the antennas go off and I usually will firmly tell them NOT to do that. I love shooting and trust myself and many others... but I've been in the presence of people that don't take safety as seriously as they should and that bothers me.

Last edited:
On another list somebody was discussing a shoot at which the they decided to make things a little more realistic. When you checked in they asked you to show anything you were carrying at that moment. You were then only allowed to run the course with whatever gun and magazines you had on your person. No gun was an automatic DQ. No spare mags tended to really slow you down. [smile]

Ken

I LIKE that...it does make it realistic![wink]

Like I said, Len, what optimism. At Riverside they require you to unload any guns before going inside. I assume that they mean for meetings, too, since there's no exception listed on the sign.

Was a member at Riverside and thought that would be one hell of a place to break into a car or too..since you can't carry inside the building!!![wink]

I was thinking more along the lines of insurance due to the bar being there.
The club I was involved had general liability & fire as well as liquor liability insurance for the bar - this issue never came up with the policy, but one company required additional details regarding use of the club pond.

Was a member at Riverside and thought that would be one hell of a place to break into a car or too..since you can't carry inside the building!!! ---Fith
I got to think that breaking into cars in the proximity of shooters is not a good idea.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I remember the orientation meeting at Braintree Rifle and Pistol club. When the club officers came in and put their coats down, each one made a very LOUD thunk as it was laid on the bench. That definitely made me grin. [smile]

UN armed....---FITH
I wouldn't count on every club member going into the club house or that all those that do to follow the rules.

Respectfully,

jkelly

The two ranges in Florida that I've shot at were great. Walk in, greet the guys setting up, and then after the opening pleasantries just ask where one can unload and get shown to the nearest backstop like its a normal part of the day. In fact, I saw plenty of people just walking down and unloading before they sign in.

NOBODY unloaded at a 'safe area'.

Arizona, Texas, and Louisiana did group clearings with announcement. Until that time people just left their guns in their holster.

In Ohio, Idaho, Hawaii, or Colorado I never really noticed if anyone came in carrying. (and I wasn't)

When I travel, I like to arrive early and help set up. Get to know a few people that way, and it's cool to see what other clubs do and more importantly HOW they do things.

Was a member at Riverside and thought that would be one hell of a place to break into a car or too..since you can't carry inside the building!!![wink]

No rule about leaving a gun in car. Just that if in the bar area, you can't carry.

Bartender has the ability to check a firearm. You ask for a check, they hand over a cable lock, you unload, lock it and keep the key.

No rule about leaving a gun in car. Just that if in the bar area, you can't carry.
Do they specify bar area? The sign outside just says "no loaded firearms in building".

Bartender has the ability to check a firearm. You ask for a check, they hand over a cable lock, you unload, lock it and keep the key.
Ahh... another well-kept secret of Riverside. Been a member for 20 years and never knew this - no signage, never mentioned at member orientation...

Harvard is looking better and better. [rolleyes]

Harvard allows its members to have a card key to the clubhouse and indoor range, as does Hopkinton Sportsmens.

Westford Sportsmen's Club members also get key cards to the clubhouse and indoor ranges, and nobody cares whether you're carrying openly or concealed anyplace at the club. Get our your car, walk up to the line, sign in, draw from your holster and empty your gun as fast as you can keep your bullets in the target area. When you're done, unload and case your gun or reload and reholster as the spirit moves you.

Ken

Braintree R&P issues keycards for 24x7 access to the facilities (indoor only after dusk of course). MANY carry concealed or openly on the club property. NOT an issue at all as long as you keep it holstered (except when at a shooting station).

Mansfield F&G also allows CCW or open carry on the property. Again, keep it holstered except when at a shooting station.

Sharon F&G (at least until 2000 when I resigned) was the same as Mansfield F&G in this regard. Although many members were FUDDs and would comment negatively upon seeing a member with a holstered gun.

Westford Sportsmen's Club members also get key cards to the clubhouse and indoor ranges, and nobody cares whether you're carrying openly or concealed anyplace at the club. Get our your car, walk up to the line, sign in, draw from your holster and empty your gun as fast as you can keep your bullets in the target area. When you're done, unload and case your gun or reload and reholster as the spirit moves you.

Ken

+1 with North Leominster.

Back
Top Bottom