• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Guns Thread from start to future

New piece of "gear" came in.
Hydration pack. Same company, same color(bad lighting) ranger green.
Can be attached to amap pack, or bladder can be installed in amap pack
View attachment 676273

Gotta grab a sawyer inline filter for it soon

New pew stuff should hopefully be posted next week at some point.

Some experience ...

Do not add a sawyer filter. Carry a separate sawyer filter, only load your bladder with filtered water.

Why? ... glad you asked - 3 reasons:

1. Bladders break. I have one that is 5 years old, the rubber gasket on the hose failed during a hike 2 months ago. It was a short 7 mile hike. By mile 4 my a** was all wet and bladder half empty. Glad I had a backup plastic bottle.
If that happens, the Sawyer filter with a bag can work as water reservoir. I only hike with plastic bottles (store bought water bottles so I can crush them when I am done and re-use them. None of that fancy hard plastic, overpriced junk.).

2. Sawyer filters clog. I have clogged mine multiple times. It is a lot easier to clean it when it is separate from your bladder, you also need clean water to clean it, if all your water is in your bag and it is dirty, it will s*ck. Sometimes all you have is very muddy water, that will clog it. You can backwash it, but it needs fairly clean water.

3. You can use the Sawyer filter that comes with a bag to fill multiple bottles and bladders.

Some experience ...

Do not add a sawyer filter. Carry a separate sawyer filter, only load your bladder with filtered water.

1. Bladders break. I have one that is 5 years old, the rubber gasket on the hose failed during a hike 2 months ago. It was a short 7 mile hike. By mile 4 my a** was all wet and bladder half empty. Glad I had a backup plastic bottle.
If that happens, the Sawyer filter with a bag can work as water reservoir. I only hike with plastic bottles (store bought water bottles so I can crush them when I am done and re-use them. None of that fancy hard plastic, overpriced junk.).

2. Sawyer filters clog. I have clogged mine multiple times. It is a lot easier to clean it when it is separate from your bladder, you also need clean water to clean it, if all your water is in your bag and it is dirty, it will s*ck. Sometimes all you have is very muddy water, that will clog it. You can backwash it, but it needs fairly clean water.

3. You can use the Sawyer filter that comes with a bag to fill multiple bottles and bladders.
I was thinking the inline one. So chop it into the hose.
But you raise a very good point of the after cleaning aspect.

They do also have those filters that attach to bottles.

I was thinking the inline one. So chop it into the hose.
But you raise a very good point of the after cleaning aspect.

They do also have those filters that attach to bottles.
You don't want the inline.
You want the one that comes with its own bag. You fill the bag with water then filter into your bladder. It works very fast, I filled a 2 liter bottle in maybe 2 minutes.

Forget about the one that attaches to a bottle.

Trust me, get this instead:
https://a.co/d/1e7NAcQ

I am all about simplicity and low weight, all the others have too many downsides.

Last edited:
You don't want the inline.
You want the one that comes with its own bag. You fill the bag with water then filter into your bladder. It works very fast, I filled a 2 liter bottle in maybe 2 minutes.

Forget about the one that attaches to a bottle.

Trust me, get this instead:
https://a.co/d/1e7NAcQ

I am all about simplicity and low weight, all the others have too many downsides.
That one even screws onto most soda bottles if you really love that Instagram life.

But you're 100% right - the bottle is better to store clean water

Got an M grip module for the arex.
Along with an extended mag release.
Found a guy on thingyverse that also made magazine spacers, so I could still use the L magazines without having a gap.

Aestheticly I like the M grip, bevause the slide just pokes out a bit.

Got the M grip, because the L model doesnt have 10 round mags.

IMG_20230107_224914.jpg

Some experience ...

A question for experienced person.
Say you ran across a stream/river/creek with flowing water.
Would you fill the bladder then dump iodine pills or something similar?
I know boil is the best way and addition for overkill with iodine (boyscouts/camping) when I was little taught me that

A question for experienced person.
Say you ran across a stream/river/creek with flowing water.
Would you fill the bladder then dump iodine pills or something similar?
I know boil is the best way and addition for overkill with iodine (boyscouts/camping) when I was little taught me that
I never used iodine or anything else besides the Sawyer filter, so I can't comment.

I also never put anything in my drinking bottles or bladder (when I used a bladder) that wasn't already treated, either by filtering or boiling.

Also, I stopped carrying a bladder, if it fails you are f*cked. I replaced it with 2 or 3 smaller plastic bottles from the supermarket and my sqwyer filter bag as a backup. If you drop the bottles they don't break and when empty you can crush them, then refill them. After trying several things in multi day hikes and having a bladder fail, the plastic bottles turned out to be the best option (and also the cheapest, if that matters).

Granted, my bladder failed after a few years of use and hundreds of miles. I used it for hiking and mountain biking.

The other downside is a bladder takes too much space in a hiking bag.

But, if you are looking at going all tactical and have it hanging from a plate carrier, a bladder might be a good option.

If you carry a bladder, still carry a small plastic water bottle as a backup. When my bladder broke, I had a couple of small bottles so kept using those. It was just a day hike so it wasn't a huge deal.

Last edited:
Some experience ...

THIS.

Use the sawyer with the dirty water squeeze bag to fill up your bladder. Don't put dirty water in your bladder unless your are putting disinfectant tabs in there too.
It takes time/effort to filter the water. With the squeeze bag you can quickly grab water and filter it as you need it and it is also a back up should your bladder/hose/nozzle fail.
I use source bladder/hose/nozzles and the nozzles fail every 12-18 months or so and the bladders ever 3-4 years with hard use.

Theres a spot in the attachment pack that the bladder can go in.

As well as rigging it to the external of the pack
Putting it on the outside of a bag will add heavy weight where you don't want it. You want the heavy stuff low in the bag and close to you, not far from you.

Unless you are attaching it to a plate carrier for a very specific use, I would not consider a bladder.

Another good use for a bladder is during winter. Just make sure you blow the water back into the bladder after drinking.

Putting it on the outside of a bag will add heavy weight where you don't want it. You want the heavy stuff low in the bag and close to you, not far from you.

Unless you are attaching it to a plate carrier for a very specific use, I would not consider a bladder.

Another good use for a bladder is during winter. Just make sure you blow the water back into the bladder after drinking.

The pack does attach to the carrier.the pocket is within the pack.

View: https://youtu.be/4aSGzsnfyzQ

Is there a Sawyer kit with a bag I'm not seeing? Or a stand alone bag for this purpose? I'm trying out a bladder in my car bag but I've always been concerned about a leak. We usually have a few hard personal water bottles in the car if traveling so a bag to scoop and filter would be nice to have.

Is there a Sawyer kit with a bag I'm not seeing? Or a stand alone bag for this purpose? I'm trying out a bladder in my car bag but I've always been concerned about a leak. We usually have a few hard personal water bottles in the car if traveling so a bag to scoop and filter would be nice to have.
Probably talking about the bags that comes with the Sawyer. Even though I have a few, I have not been impressed with the material (the plastic) on the Sawyer bags. Good to have if you want to filter small.

b6a7bc5a-b6f0-4ba2-b33d-d3d56a4c39ad._CR0,0,750,1000_PT0_SX300__.png

I like the CNOC ones - easy to fill, small footprint, can tag team the sawyer as a gravity filter as well.
31H2uj0lK8L._AC_.jpg

Finally got to shoot the .308 yesterday.
Runs so much smoother than the c308 hk clone I had.
Took less than 20 rounds to get the gas tuned and sighted in.

Runs like a sewing machine.
I'll be getting the jp enterprises silent capture system for the .223 and the 7.62x39.

Also got to dial in the 7.62x39.
Only issue I had with that was light primer strikes on steel ammo. I had igman brass that it ran flawlessly.

Then I went to fire the .223 wylde re-barrel.
But I grabbed thw wrong lock and didn't have the key.

Sighted in the red dot on the arex delta.
All good there.

And as always I'm going to curiously follow up with a question.

I find that anytime I try when I shoot any pistol my shots are on target but all over the black.
But when I just instinctually shoot(with speed) without trying, everything thing groups up super nice.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Yes. I posted the link.

Again: https://a.co/d/9W3enmo

Works great. Fills a 2L bottle in no time, it works by gravity. No need to hang it from a tree like some pictures. I tried this and found it was a waste of time, couldn't find any nice branches low enough that would hold the weight.

Also, you might want to skip the "hard" plastic bottles, they are junk and can easily break when dropped. The cheap $2 store soda bottle is much better. Empty the soda and fill with water.

Yes. I posted the link.

Again: https://a.co/d/9W3enmo

Works great. Fills a 2L bottle in no time, it works by gravity. No need to hang it from a tree like some pictures. I tried this and found it was a waste of time, couldn't find any nice branches low enough that would hold the weight.

Also, you might want to skip the "hard" plastic bottles, they are junk and can easily break when dropped. The cheap $2 store soda bottle is much better. Empty the soda and fill with water.
Somehow I missed that link. My wife and I have smallish yetis that one or both come with us on longer drives and the kids have their own cheap plastic ones. But I will try and save a cheap soda one if we ever buy soda again 😂. I do like the idea of scooping water and then filtering into a bottle/bladder. I have a single wall kleen canteen I used to keep in the car if I had to boil something.

Looking at this.
Waterdrop Gravity Water Bag for Camping, Travel, Backpacking, Hiking and Emergency, Compatible with Water Filter Straw, Flex Foldable, 1.5 Gal Bag https://a.co/d/hKaiiFU

Last edited:
Also got to dial in the 7.62x39.
Only issue I had with that was light primer strikes on steel ammo. I had igman brass that it ran flawlessly.
Do you have an extended firing pin? May also need a heavier hammer spring - which doesn't effect the trigger pull weight. I had to do this with my Rise Armament trigger in my AR x39. The Bear Creek Arsenal upper and BCG had their extended firing pin already.

Do you have an extended firing pin? May also need a heavier hammer spring - which doesn't effect the trigger pull weight. I had to do this with my Rise Armament trigger in my AR x39. The Bear Creek Arsenal upper and BCG had their extended firing pin already.
Yup. Got both from black rifle arms.

I find that anytime I try when I shoot any pistol my shots are on target but all over the black.
But when I just instinctually shoot(with speed) without trying, everything thing groups up super nice.
Can you more fully describe the bold part? It'll help us understand what you're solving for.

IMG_20230112_163132.jpg

Explain with assisted viewing.
Ok, so the green represents me trying to hit the center. Blue represents me trying to headshot.

Red is faster paced not really focusing/trying on hitting that 1 area.

Side note, I do tend to shoot left of center.
I also have a nasty flinch that happens and @MICHAEL GILLETTE has tried to help me out with in the past.

Hes also seen how I go from hitting any piece of steel, to missing it all in the next mag.

Pistol shooting.

View attachment 708580

Explain with assisted viewing.
Ok, so the green represents me trying to hit the center. Blue represents me trying to headshot.

Red is faster paced not really focusing/trying on hitting that 1 area.

Side note, I do tend to shoot left of center.
I also have a nasty flinch that happens and @MICHAEL GILLETTE has tried to help me out with in the past.

Hes also seen how I go from hitting any piece of steel, to missing it all in the next mag.

Pistol shooting.
my immediate reaction is that it looks like an issue with your Natural Point of Aim

tl;dr: your body isn't aligned with where you want to to shoot. if you learn to fix that misalignment, things should improve.

So today I said good bye to the 45-70.
I gained a bit brother to the usp 9mm I have.
Snagged a usp 40 S&W.
IMG_20230223_213858.jpg

Finish is pretty much exact. Its just the lighting.
Ill have a replacement for the 45-70 in the future, but in a somewhat semi auto variant.
It won't be 45-70, but it'll be close enough.

New gun post

So this one I've been debating on back and forth for a while.
As far back as my G3 clone.
Back then, I saw this video.

View: https://youtu.be/TyaO77pOXNQ

And since that video, I wanted something similar. Besides the full auto unicorn 🦄 state. Because reasons.
I thought the 45-70 I had would fix that itch. Sadly it did not.
I had a name picked out already for the new pew.
After researching for a while on shorty .308's, many people just flat out said it's not really worth it.
I started looking into big bore AR's.
Mainly 450 bushmaster, .458 socom and .50 Beowulf.
After 3 months of going back and forth on the calibers, I decided on the 450 bushmaster due to cost and availability.

I made it's born on date July 4th 2023.
I introduce to you, the fu(k you gun.

Parts list:
Sharps bros live wire lower
AR-15 parts.com big bore upper
Shaw barrels 16 inch bull 416R stainless
Bootleg inc mid length gas tube
Bootleg inc adjustable bolt carrier(leftover)
Superlative arms adjustable gas block
Stngr USA HWK handguard
Cryptic coatings bolt
Kaw valley precision linear comp
Spikes tactical forward assist
Strike industries lpk
Odin works adjustable buffer(H3)
Springco red buffer spring
Generic buffer tube
Houge stock
Breek arms Warhammer charging handle
Sylvan arms QD buffer tube bracket
And the typical fab defense furniture

Sig 2x8 bdx( permanent home for this rifle)
IMG_20230713_183705455.jpg
IMG_20230713_223600455.jpg

New gun post

So this one I've been debating on back and forth for a while.
As far back as my G3 clone.
Back then, I saw this video.

View: https://youtu.be/TyaO77pOXNQ

And since that video, I wanted something similar. Besides the full auto unicorn 🦄 state. Because reasons.
I thought the 45-70 I had would fix that itch. Sadly it did not.
I had a name picked out already for the new pew.
After researching for a while on shorty .308's, many people just flat out said it's not really worth it.
I started looking into big bore AR's.
Mainly 450 bushmaster, .458 socom and .50 Beowulf.
After 3 months of going back and forth on the calibers, I decided on the 450 bushmaster due to cost and availability.

I made it's born on date July 4th 2023.
I introduce to you, the fu(k you gun.

Parts list:
Sharps bros live wire lower
AR-15 parts.com big bore upper
Shaw barrels 16 inch bull 416R stainless
Bootleg inc mid length gas tube
Bootleg inc adjustable bolt carrier(leftover)
Superlative arms adjustable gas block
Stngr USA HWK handguard
Cryptic coatings bolt
Kaw valley precision linear comp
Spikes tactical forward assist
Strike industries lpk
Odin works adjustable buffer(H3)
Springco red buffer spring
Generic buffer tube
Houge stock
Breek arms Warhammer charging handle
Sylvan arms QD buffer tube bracket
And the typical fab defense furniture

Sig 2x8 bdx( permanent home for this rifle)
View attachment 774477
View attachment 774478

looks like a fun build.

but what makes a 16" AR in 450 bushmaster like a SBR'ed PTR91 in 338?

Back
Top Bottom