• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Guns Thread from start to future

DarkJoker33

NES Member
So as the title says, I just got my license to carry.

After being disappointed by not being able to get 4 of my 7 choices, I decided on my first 9mm that I'll be picking up this week.

Hk vp9

My other choices were (before figuring out they are not mass compliant)

Iwi masada
Beretta apx
Beretta px4
Beretta 92x compact (I'm assuming this one)
Hk vp9sk

Last choice before deciding I didnt need a race gun and because it was a tank of a gun

Sig sauer p320 X5 legion

Now I'm down to deciding what gun #2 should be.

Either a pocket 380.

Kahr ct380
Walther pt380
Smith and Wesson bodyguard 380

Shotgun

Keltec ks7

22lr

Hk416 (I'm kinda leaning towards this one because itll be near full weight to a regular AR style rifle)
Smith and Wesson 15-22
Ruger 10-22 takedown

Looking for advice or guidance on my second choice. I can get one of the above for now.

Thanks
Colin

Last edited:
Congratulations Colin.

You made a fine first choice for a polymer pistol.

As for your next purchase you may have some issues with getting it as there is currently some major panic buying at the local and distributor level for firearms.

That being said a good high quality concealed carry is your next option. While the VP9 is not huge you’ll want a smaller option for carrying in the summertime and something that doesn’t print too badly. Single stack vs double stack 9mm. While .380 is no slouch 9mm is cheaper and more abundant.

I have a Bersa thunder combat .380 and Kahr CM9 in 9mm of course. Both are my smaller carry options.

Your choices above are not your only options to be sure but if that is what you are only able to get for now then stick with the Smith bodyguard. More options afaik.

For full size which I still carry is a Sig P250C in 45acp.

For full size fun at the range I have a Gen 4 G17, Beretta 92fs, and my Walther P22Q.

Everyone should have a Ruger 10/22 in some format or another.

-Daniel

Check the other threads before buying , apparently ammo is getting tough to come by. It will most likely not last long, but you may not be able to enjoy whatever you buy.

A 22 rifle, 12ga shotgun, and a small carry in .380 or larger are pretty much standard in anyones safe.

There are some good deals in the FS section on here.

@kope makes another good point as the ammo indeed is running out due to panic and it’s not like before with the election cycle more compounded with the pandemic and the unknown of what’s coming next.

Go with the BG380 for a first carry choice. The VP9 is a big fan favorite and fine striker fired pistol but keep in mind it’s got some girth to it so if you have a job where you’ll be sitting for awhile you may want to carry the Bodyguard. Note that you’ll be able to carry any pistol as long as you get the right belt and holster, so don’t let size limit your options. But consider it nonetheless when you make your decision of what to carry. Congrats on your LTC.

What you should have choice of type,or maker is up to you.1. 9mm handgun,2 shotgun,3 battle rifle 556,308,3006,
4.22 handgun,and rifle.You could add a 5 to that in a pocket pistol in 32,380,9mak,or 9mm. That is a good way to start.
Congrats.

Thanks everyone.
I'm aware of the shortages.
Luckily my brother has a good amount of 9mm.
So, if I need any , I'm sure I'll be able to get some off of him.

As for the battle rifle, I'm pretty sure it's out of my price range at the moment.
I'm only going to have maybe $400 left after the vp9

Go with the BG380 for a first carry choice. The VP9 is a big fan favorite and fine striker fired pistol but keep in mind it’s got some girth to it so if you have a job where you’ll be sitting for awhile you may want to carry the Bodyguard. Note that you’ll be able to carry any pistol as long as you get the right belt and holster, so don’t let size limit your options. But consider it nonetheless when you make your decision of what to carry. Congrats on your LTC.

I'm on my feet all day so that wont be an issue

Got the belt, holster is next.
Bought a car safe and house safe with cleaning kits and such first.

Tulster will most likely be the holster of choice.

At this time you get what ever you can.ill go for a boltaction .308 and a 9mm if i am you,then some type of .22 .our economic about to crash, you may be able to pick up what you need cheap from people that lost their job and need to pay their bill.

Thanks everyone.
I'm aware of the shortages.
Luckily my brother has a good amount of 9mm.
So, if I need any , I'm sure I'll be able to get some off of him.

As for the battle rifle, I'm pretty sure it's out of my price range at the moment.
I'm only going to have maybe $400 left after the vp9

You mentioned a Kel-tec shotgun. What about a RIA VR80? Or are you trying to keep the shotgun as small as possible?

If I was in MA, based on my understanding of the state anyway, I would be looking at a mini 14 or 30 for new basic semi auto rifles - good, short, handy - a good one is reliable enough, once you got the mags you can own a couple versions if you want (ie optic on one, irons on the other) at a substantially lower buy-in rate..

I love my SW 15-22 but if I did it again I would buy the performance center model- accuratized version, a little more $$ but I think for the $150 well worth it.

I picked the keltec because it was small and maneuverable and shoulder able. So yes.

Most shotguns with barrels between 18-24" are fairly compact and maneuverable. Kel-tecs can be fairly hard to obtain even in normal market conditions. The VR80 is becoming fairly popular and would thus be a tad more available.

Otherwise, good luck with the search.

Congrats Colin!
Get the VP9 asap!
I would get a couple extra mags.
If you are looking for home protection a 12ga shotgun is in your budget with what is left over.
Get some buckshot and a some slugs.

Buy a rifle when this crap blows over!

I would suggest something older, but still serviceable.

Great Road Firearms has a Smith and Wesson 908 listed on their website for $299. Older but damn serviceable firearm. Very well suited as a summer carry gun. I have one and love it.

I really like the Sig P938 compact 9mm pistol. I have tried a bunch of pocket pistols, and this is the one that is
the best for me.

I have seen too much bs out of keltec to ever take them seriously..

A Stevens 12 or 20 gauge pump, ones with the pistol grip, ghost sights, and 18.5 barrels, are good simple shotguns - actually prefer them in some ways to a mossberg, design is a lot simpler to strip and assemble. Else a 500, or go up to a 590a or 870, whatever floats your boat for your budget I'd say..

Agree with the above, have a 938 and 238 and prefer them as far as quality carry pistols go.

Back
Top Bottom