• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first post, need advise...

Xak

I have a MA Class A LTC/ALP, moved to a "bluer" area a couple years ago (filing all the proper forms of course), and it is time to renew. Everyone I talk to says it's impossible to get ALP in this area, and that they only issue ALP to people with the power of arrest and in some cases buisness owners (but they really have to jump through hoops to get it). They say my LTC/ALP will be renewed as "target & hunting", thus not allowing me the right to carry a firearm.

I've been working this area in a public service type fashion for 7 or 8 years, have gotten to know the area very well and have gotten to know several of the LEOs, though I hear that it won't help my situation. Guess I should have known the gun laws before movig, huh? Durr.

Anyhow, I went to MassGunLaw.com and read somewhere that I should write a letter saying why I am a good candidate for ALP.

Would it be too pretentious to start off writing letters, etc.? Should I just apply, hope for the best and address the problem when they offer me "target & hunting", or should I just go meet with the chief before I apply and say something like "hi chief, I heard a rumor that my LTC/ALP may be renewed as "target & hunting. What can I do to renew it as is?"

Help! I can't believe this may happen to me! [crying]

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
...oh! Where are my manners?

I was refered to you guys while on another great forum (Sigforum). I've been reading through some of the posts here before registering and look forward to being a member. You guys/gals seem like a great, interesting, and knowledgeable, bunch.

-Xak

Where are you from? You currently have an ALP now from the same town/city you are renewing in correct?

Better advice can be given if we know the town you are in currently. Since it is up to the chief, past SPECIFIC history of said chief can go a long way.

I also don't know what you mean by
I've been working this area in a public service type fashion for 7 or 8 years

No disrespect meant, but working for the DPW is a "public service type fashion", but so is a deputy sheriff. Don't expect that both would be viewed the same by a local chief.

I know a lot of Boston (and Boston area) Constables that have been refused LTCs of any sort with a "you don't need it" brush off (NOT due to personal issues or records).

A fellow Constable in Norwood had to go thru 5 interviews and they held up his RENEWAL (his original LTC was from another town and he had moved to Norwood during its term) >6 months after his old LTC had expired.

In some cases you could talk with the chief in advance.

In some cases, nothing less than hiring an attorney up front will help (but still no guarantee of outcome).

Besides the ton of info here in Gun Laws forum (set UserCP to show ALL Threads) and either sift thru the pages and pages in the index or use Advanced Search after reading the Stickies at the top of the forum, you should find much of what you need to be "properly armed" to address your upcoming problem.

Well, I've worked in Lowell in EMS, first as an EMT then as a Paramedic, for about 7 or 8 years now. I moved here (Lowell) over 2 years ago and my LTC/ALP from another town (yes, I filed the propper paper work for change of address) is going to expire the end of April.

I've had a few partners/coworkers over the years that have gone on to become LEOs, one of them in Lowell, and one of them is now NYPD. I always worked well with PD on scene and I've gotten to know a few officers on a first name basis. Like I said, though, I hear it's not going to matter.

Lowells Chief has gone on to Boston and now has an acting chief, Kenneth Lavallee. I don't know much about him, though he looks very familiar.

After reading the above links provided it sounds like I should get all my ducks in a row, write up a nice letter, and perhaps see if I can attend some sort of gun class before I reapply, but time is running short. Should I contact MassGunLaw.com and see if I can have one of thier attornies help me write up a letter?

On another post someone had suggested they didn't want overkill, or to look too gung-ho by doing too much.

What do you guys think?

TIA

I'd make an effort to go talk to the new acting chief or whoever his appointed license authority is. Surely that will give you a much better idea of what kind of challenge you face.

Use the link Scrivener posted above (he IS a lawyer specializing in firearm law) He has a nice letter template in that thread.

MassGunLaw is run by Darius Arbabi aka Cross-X here on the forum.

If you are a member of GOAL (You are aren't you?), call Nancy and ask her if she has heard anything new regarding Lowel.

Overkill? Providing a new license authority who doesn't know you with as much evidence as you can that you are a good upstanding citizen isn't overkill, it's good practice.

It is sad that a citizen has to beg for his rights like this, but you didn't create the game, just be sure to play it to win.

Welcome to the NES forums. Good luck in your search and stick around no matter what the outcome of your permit application. There are a lot of helpful people on here and some good advice, but you need to weed through just like anywhere else.

Welcome to the forum!

Since you are in the sister field of EMS, I'd just walk into the PD and have a nice friendly chat with the acting chief. From that chat, you could determine what additional steps (if any) you might have to take.

At one time I was looking to relocate closer to the late DEC (where both my Wife and I worked). I flashed the badge and had a nice sit down with the Lt. (highest ranking officer in the station at that time) in Bedford and learned enough not to make an offer on a house there. I did the same thing in Carlisle and learned a lot, etc. VERY FEW do this, but it's a great way to meet the officials and learn what you need to learn (in this case wrt LTC).

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!

Since you are in the sister field of EMS, I'd just walk into the PD and have a nice friendly chat with the acting chief. From that chat, you could determine what additional steps (if any) you might have to take.

Good idea. Wear your uniform when doing this if possible.

Good idea. Wear your uniform when doing this if possible.

I must admit, I think that helped when I got my original LTC/ALP. [smile]

Another thing, is it 60 days or 90 days before expiration date that I must send application?

TIA

I must admit, I think that helped when I got my original LTC/ALP. [smile]

Another thing, is it 60 days or 90 days before expiration date that I must send application?

TIA

Get it in as early as possible, and get a receipt for your check. Just because the law says that they have 40 days to get your license to you doesn't mean that they are expected to follow the law. It isn't enforced. Honestly, I'd put it in now. If they tell you it's too early just ask them to process it anyway. No matter what you do, chances are that it will sit on a desk for a month or six.

Right, I'll probably stop by to see the acting chief, introduce myself, have a chat. See if I can get a feel for what I'm up against and possibly get a letter together next week to turn in with my app.

I'll keep ya'll updated, perhaps post my letter befre turning it in to see what you guys think. Thanx so much for your suggestions.

TIA

You have a 90 day grace period after you've applied, just in case your new license doesn't come in by it's expiration date. You should apply a month, at least before it expires.

Also, we have a few lawyers on this forum who deal with gun laws. Cross-X, Scrivener and jcohen. I don't know the Lowell acting Chief (and INAL), however, you might try setting up an appointment with him before you apply. Go in uniform (it won't hurt), tell him your renewal is coming up and you were wondering if you were going to have any problems getting your ALP status renewed.

My understanding from a friend in Lowel is they will renew ALP, but not issue new ones.

But I'd line up all your ducks just in case. It won't hurt.

Welcome to the forum!

Matt

"My understanding from a friend in Lowel is they will renew ALP, but not issue new ones."

Thing is my ALP is from out of town. That's what I'm worried about. If I originally got it in Lowell I could see why they wouldn't mind renewing it because I allready would have gone through them to get it.

I was too busy last week to stop by to see the chief, but I will try to this week.

Thanx again for all your suggestions.

If you are thick skinned and can take some strange/sarcastic humor, you may want to stop in at AG Guns and talk with the guys there about the current situation in Lowell.

Good luck!

If you are thick skinned and can take some strange/sarcastic humor, you may want to stop in at AG Guns and talk with the guys there about the current situation in Lowell.

Good luck!

They said very bluntly "No way. Not going to happen." I brought up the idea of getting a nice letter written, perhaps a couple letters from LEOs saying I'm worthy. They almost laughed.

I am considering having an attorney help me draft a letter, but his prices are very steep knowing the chief may just look it over quickly and say "Nope." I don't know what to do. I stopped by the police station the other day but the chief was busy. I left my name and number but no one called me. I'll stop by again this coming week and try to speak with him. Get a feel for what I'm up against. If I think there's a chance I'll get some help drafting a letter, but the cost will SERIOUSLY set me back.

I thought once I got my Class A LTC ALP I was all set. I had no idea I could have my right to bear arms called into question from here on as long as I kept my nose clean. I feel like I'm about to be punished for no reason. I'm so troubled, depressed by this.

IMO we need to sticky this somehow- I've seen more than one person
get SCREWED because they did not do their homework when they changed
localities, or changed from nonres to resident. eg, maybe a sticky entitled
"Moving IN or TO MA? Do your Homework AHEAD of time, or get screwed!"

Most of the people that I know of that got boned would not have moved
where they did if they knew the PD would have boned them come renewal
time. I mean it's not a 100% thing (because chiefs can change, etc) but
more often than not towns are pretty consistent. I don't know of any
towns/cities that have "gone red" but know a couple that have "gone
green".

-Mike

Yeah, had I known I probably would have moved to Haverhill. They had some nice Victorian houses there for decent prices at the time, but we fell in love with the house we bought here.

*Update*

I didn't get to speak to the chief, but I spoke to the person in charge of LTC applications. I was pleased to find she was a LEO I'm familiar with from 911 calls on the street so I was able to let my hair down and speak frankly with her.

Unfortunatley she said Lowell does not issue ALP, even to thier own officers. They've had too many problems in the past with so many (different kinds of people) moving into the city and everyone wanting to carry. People would walk around with it on their hip in grocery stores, etc. and cause disturbances, brandish them to settle an argument among some of the problems.

She said only under certain circumstances they will issue PP. If you are a buisness owner and can produce 6 months of reciepts or invoices or something, if your life has been threatened and is so documented by PD reports, or if you originally attained your ALP or PP in Lowell you are grandfathered in.

I also got that question (fingernails on the chalkboard) "Why do you need to carry a gun?" I tried to come up with a reason or 2 (that I hope to expound on in my letter) like my expensive telescope hobby. When I'm out in the middle of nowhere with expensive stuff it's comfortimg, etc.

She asked "Do you conceal carry?" I just said "Well... at times I do."

She said when I fill out my application she will send it to the chief as PP and if he askes about it she would mention my 8 yrs of fulltime experience as an EMT/Paramedic in the city. She said not to bother writing a letter because it isn't neccessary and won't help, but if I wanted to it couldn't hurt. I asked her what she felt my chances were and she said she would try to get it through as PP, but she seriously doubts it's going to happen.

Is this the same licensing luminary that tells people:

1. If denied, you can't apply again for X years; and

2. You can't hold both an LTC and an FID?

Is this the same licensing luminary that tells people:

1. If denied, you can't apply again for X years; and

2. You can't hold both an LTC and an FID?

Not that I'm aware of. I was originally issued a Class B in Reading where I was told "We'll see how it goes and if there are no problems you can re-apply in one year and we will issue you a Class A." They were good to their word and issued me a Class A LTC ALP when I re-applied one year later.

Back
Top Bottom