My first evil black rifle!

So I stopped by the gun show in Brattleboro VT yesterday to sniff around and see what I could see. I ended up eye humping what appeared to be a Chinese variant of the AK. The guy running the table strolls over and says "I had $350 on it but you can take it for $300 cash".

I was expecting him to give a price upwards of $500, so I got pretty excited. I think I blacked out shortly after that because the next thing I knew I was walking out of the building, rifle in hand, with 40 rounds of Wolf ammo.

As pure of an impulse buy as there has ever been.

So, since this is the first non deer hunting rifle I have ever owned (hell, even fired) I know pretty much nothing about it. Side the fact it's Chinese, and fires the 7.62x39.

I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a few pictures in hopes you guys can answer me a few questions about the functionality of my new toy. It did not come with any manual or documentation so you folks on here and the general interweb will be my only sources of info.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd go!

Here it is in all its glory. Complete with 30 round mag and folding stock.
IMG_1190.jpg

My first question would be, what is that stainless rod for underneath the barrel?
IMG_1193.jpg

Second question, does this lug serve any sort of funhctional purpose?
IMG_1195.jpg

Third question, what is this lever for? Stripping the rifle?
IMG_1196.jpg

Fourth question, what is this rotating arm for? (right side of the rear sight)
IMG_1197.jpg

Chinese markings I was referring to. Can anyone tell me more about this rifle based on these?
IMG_1199.jpg

Looks like a SKS to me, with aftermarket folding stock. The lug is for a bayonet.

For a wealth of knowledge, head on over to the milsurp area of the forum. There's more information than you'll ever need over there.

It's an SKS, with the stock replaced and an aftermarket mod for a replaceable magazine. You can start learning from:

http://www.sks-rifles.com/

Start by checking if the serial number match on the different sections to determine if it is whole or a parts gun. I don't know what a fair price is today. I bought mine in '89 and paid $99 for it and $99 for a 1000 rounds of Chinese steel core ammo.

man prices have really gone up. I picked up a chinese SKS about 4 years ago for $150. but considering the prices on em now $300 (seen em in shops for $350-$450, and if thats the tapco stock it's worth about $75 iirc) was a steal and it's a hell of a nice gun and reliable as hell, just stay away from the corrosive ammo.

Yes definately an SKS. The next time you go to a show the guys with all the little gun manuals have an excellent one for the SKS. It shows exactly what all those little levers and buttons do. The rod under the barrel is the cleaning rod.

300 dollars is a very fair price. I am not sure if the Chinese version you have has a chrome lined barrel the Russians do. Not a big deal just a litttle more care and dont leave it sitting out in the weather or humidity witout swabbing it out. Are you in VT?

Lastly enjoy the heck out it. Buy lots of cheap steel ammo and shoot the heck out of it it will eat any ammo you can put in it they are not fussy guns.

Loud, cheap and smokey a great day outdoors.

Last edited:
Yes definately an SKS. The next time you go to a show the guys with all the little gun manuals have an excellent one for the SKS. It shows exactly what all those little levers and buttons do. The rod under the barrel is the cleaning rod.

300 dollars is a very fair price. I am not sure if the Chinese version you have has a chrome lined barrel the Russians do. Not a big deal just a litttle more care and dont leave it sitting out in the weather or humidity witout swabbing it out. Are you in VT?

Lastly enjoy the heck out it. Buy lots of cheap steel ammo and shoot the heck out of it it will eat any ammo you can put in it they are not fussy guns.

Loud, cheap and smokey a great day outdoors.
If he were in MA, the detachable mag would be the qaulifier and he would only be able to have one "evil" feature. The pistol grip would essentially take that spot and the folding stock would need to be pinned/welded and the bayo lug ground off.

If he were in MA, the detachable mag would be the qaulifier and he would only be able to have one "evil" feature. The pistol grip would essentially take that spot and the folding stock would need to be pinned/welded and the bayo lug ground off.

Yes, That is why I had editted the post when I saw it had the pistolgrip as well. I figured I would PM him depending on VT status. It is quite easy to blind pin those stocks.

And the attachment point is for this bipod........

http://www.combatoptical.com/catalog/SKS-BAYONET-MOUNT-ALUMINUM-BIPOD-7.html

Last edited:
Yes, That is why I had editted the post when I saw it had the pistolgrip as well. I figured I would PM him depending on VT status. It is quite easy to blind pin those stocks.

And the attachment point is for this bipod........

http://www.combatoptical.com/catalog/SKS-BAYONET-MOUNT-ALUMINUM-BIPOD-7.html
Unless the bayonet lug is modified so that it can no longer accept a bayonet attachment as originally designed it is still a restricted feature.

One thing that was not discussed is the Mfg date. Most SKS's were made pre-94, as very well his could be. No need to cause the guy panic over a 30 year old rifle.

Unless the bayonet lug is modified so that it can no longer accept a bayonet attachment as originally designed it is still a restricted feature.

One thing that was not discussed is the Mfg date. Most SKS's were made pre-94, as very well his could be. No need to cause the guy panic over a 30 year old rifle.

If the manufacture date is pre-94 is it free for all the evil features? This would be great. Mine is pre-94 and I will convert to the detachable magazine in a second if that is the case. Like I mentioned in my original pre-edit response I don't know every nuance of the rules and this could be a major knowledge pick up for me today. Gotta love this forum.

If the manufacture date is pre-94 is it free for all the evil features?

How can I tell if mine is pre '94? Some way to research it via the serial number in guessing?

I just got back from shooting it and OMFG what a fun rifle. Some diet Pepsi cans really pissed me off so I picked up 30 of them from Walmart to teach them a lesson.

Also, this thing is INCREDIBLY accurate. I was going 5 for 5 hitting soda cans from 30+ yards (good for me with iron sights). I never really realized how powerful the 7.62x39 round is. I was putting holes through a 10" hemlock like it was butter. On that note, it was pretty sobering thinking that this is the type of firepower that our boys across the pond are getting shot at with. Now I gotta get something in .223 to see what that can do.

Few pics.

Me with my handsome new toy. Wasnt able to catch an action shot.
IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

My brother in law with a Ruger 10-22.
IMG_1205.jpg

The generous property owner Todd
IMG_1203.jpg

No pics of the cans after we taught them a lesson though.

Lastly, what do you guys recommend for ammo?

The steel cased Wolf? Whats a fair price to pay per round?
Can Wolf be reloaded?

This is just what I've heard here, YMMV:

Wolf is pretty crappy I hear. Smells bad, underpowered, poor quality. But cheap as dirt. [grin]

And I've been told over and over that steel cases cannot be reloaded.

Good buy, A lot of people agree that every gun owner needs to own an SKS at some point in their life. [grin]

If the manufacture date is pre-94 is it free for all the evil features? This would be great. Mine is pre-94 and I will convert to the detachable magazine in a second if that is the case. Like I mentioned in my original pre-edit response I don't know every nuance of the rules and this could be a major knowledge pick up for me today. Gotta love this forum.

From what I've been told there are no pre-94 conversion magazines available. So while the conversion would be legal, the magazines would not be. Which on that note brings up whether or not the OP's is pre-ban. This would only matter depending on his location of which we still do not know...

The ebr bug claims another vitim

. Now I gotta get something in .223 to see what that can do.

Its starting already.

From what I've been told there are no pre-94 conversion magazines available. So while the conversion would be legal, the magazines would not be. Which on that note brings up whether or not the OP's is pre-ban. This would only matter depending on his location of which we still do not know...

Oh well I wont burn through the $$$ at an even crazier pace this way. Save the 30 rounders for the AR.

AND for the OP shoot the cheap Wolf steel ammo unless you are a reloader. You will still kill the cans easily out to 100 yards or more. And yes the iron sight shooting is fun and these guns can be pretty accurate.

FS has the Wolf ammo on sale for 6.99 a box of 20. 35 cents a round are is pretty decent by todays standard. Like I said in an earlier post the smoke and grime that comes with this ammo is part of the experience with an SKS in my book.

You can actualy get scope mounts and other addons for these things. Cheaper Than Dirt is a good source for ideas.

Enjoy the new toy.

Back
Top Bottom