My First Catastrophic Failure

The press is an RCBS Pro 2000. I certainly cannot rule out that the double charge could have happened when weighing/checking the powder charge, but I do not think so. I have a routine. I do not pull out the case when it is under the powder dispenser I move it to the seating position and then pull it out before I pull the lever again. Then case goes back into that position and bullet is seated. I could check it less and may in the future, but I do not think that was it. The real interruption to the process came unclogging the APS priming strip. I should have just cleared everything at that point. However, I appreciate the feedback and will check the charge less in the future. At this point I will do about anything to make sure it never happens again.

I will agree with all and say I'm glad you are unscathed. What press are you using? A progressive or a 550?

Years ago I bought an RCBS Lockout Die and it is added insurance against what will inevitably happen to someone else in the near future.

Now this is helpful. Thank you. Just ordered one

Last edited:
Glad you were not hurt. Are you figuring it was an undercharge? I was told this often will happen with them more than even a double charge in a handgun round.

Thanks for sharing, I will not operate a progressive without a powder cop, it has saved me from a double charge of titegroup on 9mm, though it forces me to use the hated seat/crimp die, worth it to me.

Very glad that you are OK.

I need to rethink this too, as I were glasses and never have bothered to use anything else but

For those of us who wear glasses to see with, adding the Over the Glasses (OTG) glasses is a big safety plus.

Powder cop is ok for rifle I suppose but the lockout die should be included in any press kit in my opinion. It locks on under and over charge.

Powder cop is ok for rifle I suppose but the lockout die should be included in any press kit in my opinion. It locks on under and over charge.

I think the new Hornady powder cop had a lockout function.

Also, you can power through an undercharged (empty) case with an RCBS lockout die, but you would have a hard time seating a bullet in what's left of the crumpled case :).

Glad you're intact and willing to post about it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm assuming that 686 will be in the classifieds soon? "LNIB?"

Glad you're alright.

I kaboomed an AR 2 weeks ago, so I feel your loss on the gun. Always nice when you do the self assessment immediately after and there is no blood or missing appendages though! [grin]

- - - Updated - - -

Glad you're intact and willing to post about it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm assuming that 686 will be in the classifieds soon? "LNIB?"

"Frame in good to fair condition, just needs new cylinder" [rofl]

If you have a progressive press I suggest you get a powder check die. If you load using a single stage then you are loading a small enough volume that you could weigh the bullets as you check the crimp and put them into the box. I weigh my 45ACP when I load single stage and it is only a 4.1gr load. If you double charge an 8.6gr load it will stick out like a sore thumb.

It could just as plausibly have happened when a case is removed, powder charge was checked, case was replaced, and handle pulled without indexing shell plate.

It's not like the only time you can goof is while clearing a malf. It's just another opportunity to good. And if you're watching every powder charge, I can't see getting 80, or even 3, squibs.

You missed my point, a malf is a distraction that isn't a planned event. Sometimes mentally we get too wrapped up in the "event" and ignore the possible secondary consequences. Checking the powder is a planned event, in contrast.

Anyway, this is my big gripe with the 550 - an AP press is much less likely to cause a double, although you can still end up with a squib.

In probably over 10,000 rounds with the 550 I had, I had a total of maybe 3 squibs, and they all happened at the same time and I knew they were in the batch. The return rod nut was loose and the rod had detached itself from the thing that actuated it. It's not that hard to run a 550 and not blow something up. Then again it also helped that most of the cartridges I loaded, I could observe the powder level quickly before every bullet was placed. Pretty easy to see a double or empty. (I had a desk lamp to illuminate the seating station, too. )

Of course its a lot harder to do this with a deep well rifle or revolver cartridge. I think at that point a powder check system is probably a good idea if you load that stuff in volume, "at speed".

-Mike

Glad you're alright.

I kaboomed an AR 2 weeks ago, so I feel your loss on the gun. Always nice when you do the self assessment immediately after and there is no blood or missing appendages though! [grin]

That must have been a s*** yourself situation blowing up an AR - yikes.

If you have a progressive press I suggest you get a powder check die. If you load using a single stage then you are loading a small enough volume that you could weigh the bullets as you check the crimp and put them into the box. I weigh my 45ACP when I load single stage and it is only a 4.1gr load. If you double charge an 8.6gr load it will stick out like a sore thumb.

I bought a RCBS lockout die but never ended up using it. Loading on a Hornady LNL progressive, it's easier to make a squib than a double charge since it auto-indexes. The one squib I made I remembered how it happened. The primer shuttle locked up when I was raising the ram so then I lowered the ram and that case that was suppose to get charged, never did. And I managed to forget to check the case for a powder charge afterwards then seated a bullet...

Glad you're alright.

- - - Updated - - -

"Frame in good to fair condition, just needs new cylinder" [rofl]

Have a root cause?

The chamber pressure in any gun is high, using recommended factory ammunition.

That gun probably saw more than 50,000 PSI to make the steel exceed it's yield point.

Glad you were not seriously killed or maimed.

Gotta be really careful when reloading.

Glad you were not seriously killed or maimed.

Gotta be really careful when reloading.

As opposed to somewhat killed..haha In all seriousness, thanks for the reminder OP! It is always beneficial to throttle it back a bit and remember/reflect on the caution and attention to detail required to safely reload. Sorry to hear about your wheel gun, though- glad you are ok!

We Live We Learn. Unexpected science experiments can be dangerous. Dust yourself off and keep reloading glad you have all of your fingers.

Have a root cause?

Best guess: Barrel had 17k rounds and failed at the lugs. I had a FTF immediately before (not a squib, two witnesses standing on either side of me) ejected that round, next one grenaded the gun. My belief is the FTF was a warning something was wrong, but I was running timed training drills. So, tap, rack, KABOOM.

Here's a link to my post about it with pics:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...st-them-here?p=4856522&viewfull=1#post4856522

The BCG was a BCM that was only shot with that barrel and they were bought together. I don't think the bolt what teh root cause, but anything is possible.

Wow, I'm glad your in one piece.

It's humblingvto hear stories like this... And, see the results. That is a pretty solid revolver. Seeing it completely destroyed is a bit frightening.

+1. Thank you for posting

DSC02998_zpswtr0yoif.jpg

Nail that gun to a board directly in front of your reloading press as a visual reminder.

Shit like this is why I hand weigh ALL charges for my revolver ammo in .38, .357mag and .44mag.

Glad you were not hurt.

Glad you are ok. Relatively cheap lesson learned....given what could have happened.

I had a similar experience a few years back with an S&W airweight snubby. Felt like a hand grenade went off in my hand....not sure how I walked away without a scratch from that one.

In my case however, I was shooting someone *else's* reloads....last time that ever happened ;-)

I load on a Square Deal B and loading 38/357 always makes me feel a little uneasy. Simply not enough space to visually check powder with any kind of confidence (at least for me). Thinking I might stick to 9/40/45 from now on.

Back
Top Bottom