• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First batch of reloads - the most expensive ammo I've ever owned!

I've been enjoying the process, and based on the records I am keeping, I have saved about $1k+ versus buying equivalent factory ammo. The problem is, I have shot a whole lot of centerfire in the last seven months - far more than I ever would have in a normal year. So, the reloading gear has gotten close to paying for itself, but I've spent quite a bit to shoot a whole lot more than I ever would have without the reloading gear! 😜

I've been enjoying the process, and based on the records I am keeping, I have saved about $1k+ versus buying equivalent factory ammo. The problem is, I have shot a whole lot of centerfire in the last seven months - far more than I ever would have in a normal year. So, the reloading gear has gotten close to paying for itself, but I've spent quite a bit to shoot a whole lot more than I ever would have without the reloading gear! 😜
you really dont save money
Its just the $1000 or what ever you spend in factory ammo a year translates into $1000 in reloading “stuff” a year to shoot what would cast you $3000 a year to buy factory ammo.

This is exactly what everyone says
You won't spend less hut you'll shoot more.

The real fun in “savings” starts with casting your own and shooting reduced loads, yeah yeah I know many dont want to shoot light ammo.
If your reduced to 100 yards max heck even 200 yards you can load up some nice cast plinking loads for Plinking practice.
Or have a old rifle you like to shoot but the rifle itself is not that accurate , why waist good bullets.
Cast up some plinkers, Maybe recoil is a issue.
I consider my cast bullets free I was able to get just about everything I needed close to free. For the exception of a few molds I paid retail for.
Depending on the powder choice it will range from 8-28 grains of powder 10-18 being the norm and a primer —- where talking .15/round
I dont factor my time , I could probably just pick up a part time job to cover shooting expenses but I already dont have much time to go shoot.
Ex. Friend of mine wanted to reload to save money. He Hated the process. So he picks up a few hours over time and learned to keep well stocked on his ammo.
He also learned to like shooting 22s especially with the kids.

Back
Top Bottom