My First Catastrophic Failure

The Goose

NES Member
After almost 20 years and literally thousands of rounds of ammo reloaded I finally blew it big time. My first instinct (once fear, disgust and embarrassment have subsided) is to completely bury this, pretend it never happened and move on. My next instinct is to share the experience in the hope that someone else does not make the same mistake.

I hit the range today to try out my brand new S&W 686 +1 snubby in .357 mag. I was about half way through my second box of reloads, I pressed the trigger, gun went boom, something hit me in the face, safety glasses went flying, the left lens of my regular glasses also went flying and I was standing there going WTF just happened. Then I was frantically scrambling trying to find my lost eye glass lens so that I could see clearly again. I popped the lens back into the frame and below is what I found.

I was shooting a 158 gr. JHP over the starting load of True Blue from the Lyman manual. Recoil was fairly mild and then BOOM. A double charge (I believe). The good news is that other than a bruised cheek bone (and ego), pitted eyeglass lens and a completely mangled brand new revolver no real harm was done. Thank God for safety glasses (and thank God that no one else was there cause pieces went flying). They probably saved my left eye, given that the safety glasses were smashed and my regular lens had a good ding in it. I will say that this type of event really gets the blood pumping and heart pounding.

After composing myself I packed up and while driving home I just kept thinking about what could have happened to cause this. I am (was) meticulous when I reload. I always focus and I check the powder charge about every 10 rounds or so. The session that produced this load was no different. I went over every detail in my mind and then I think I might have figured it out. At one point a piece of debris had fouled up the primer feed and I stopped to clear it. Once cleared I continued reloading and I think this is where I made the mistake. I should have cleared everything off of the shellplate at that point. Just dump the powder back and started over. Instead I just went "Oh yeah, this is where I left off" and kept on going. No doubt I double charged it at that point. A really stupid mistake and completely avoidable. If memory serves the load was 8.6 grains with a max load of 9.5 (I do not have the data in front of me). So a double charge would be more than 17 grains. So this is the result of not taking a few minutes to be safe. The .357 magnum is a fairly hot round to begin with and with a case that can accept 2 and even 3 times the safe load of some powders it ain't no foolin' around.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear you made it out with every body part in tact.

I'm grateful that all the calibers I load are the kind where a double charge is immediately apparent (9mm, 223, etc.). That's a scary prospect.

I hate reloading 38 special/ 357 magnum for this very reason, it is hard to see the bottom of the case. Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

Chris

Glad you are ok, and thank you for the lesson that complacency kills. No one is perfect and you can't be too careful.

After almost 20 years and literally thousands of rounds of ammo reloaded I finally blew it big time. My first instinct (once fear, disgust and embarrassment have subsided) is to completely bury this, pretend it never happened and move on. My next instinct is to share the experience in the hope that someone else does not make the same mistake.

I hit the range today to try out my brand new S&W 686 +1 snubby in .357 mag. I was about half way through my second box of reloads, I pressed the trigger, gun went boom, something hit me in the face, safety glasses went flying, the left lens of my regular glasses also went flying and I was standing there going WTF just happened. Then I was frantically scrambling trying to find my lost eye glass lens so that I could see clearly again. I popped the lens back into the frame and below is what I found.

I was shooting a 158 gr. JHP over the starting load of True Blue from the Lyman manual. Recoil was fairly mild and then BOOM. A double charge (I believe). The good news is that other than a bruised cheek bone (and ego), pitted eyeglass lens and a completely mangled brand new revolver no real harm was done. Thank God for safety glasses (and thank God that no one else was there cause pieces went flying). They probably saved my left eye, given that the safety glasses were smashed and my regular lens had a good ding in it. I will say that this type of event really gets the blood pumping and heart pounding.

After composing myself I packed up and while driving home I just kept thinking about what could have happened to cause this. I am (was) meticulous when I reload. I always focus and I check the powder charge about every 10 rounds or so. The session that produced this load was no different. I went over every detail in my mind and then I think I might have figured it out. At one point a piece of debris had fouled up the primer feed and I stopped to clear it. Once cleared I continued reloading and I think this is where I made the mistake. I should have cleared everything off of the shellplate at that point. Just dump the powder back and started over. Instead I just went "Oh yeah, this is where I left off" and kept on going. No doubt I double charged it at that point. A really stupid mistake and completely avoidable. If memory serves the load was 8.6 grains with a max load of 9.5 (I do not have the data in front of me). So a double charge would be more than 17 grains. So this is the result of not taking a few minutes to be safe. The .357 magnum is a fairly hot round to begin with and with a case that can accept 2 and even 3 times the safe load of some powders it ain't no foolin' around.

Glad you weren't hurt.

Coincidentally the closest I came to a reloading incident was with .38/357 as well. The cartridge is long and relatively narrow and depending on how your press is set up a double dump can be easy to miss, as well as a no-dump. For things like 9mm and .45 its very easy to see if there is no powder or you doubled it. For .38 or .357, not so much. Whenever I had a malf on the press on .38 I was twice as paranoid. Even quarantined an entire lot of like 30 rounds once. Eventually I found the squib in the lot that I KNEW was there. [laugh]

-Mike

Thank god you are ok. I just ordered a press and plan to get into reloading and I'm glad you shared this to show me the severity of a simple mistake. This put the fear of god in me.

Glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing; it is good to reinforce that safety equipment is so very important and should be worn at all times. Sorry for your loss of a sweet revolver as well.

I wonder if they could fix it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I hate reloading 38 special/ 357 magnum for this very reason, it is hard to see the bottom of the case. Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

I'm grateful that all the calibers I load are the kind where a double charge is immediately apparent (9mm, 223, etc.). That's a scary prospect.

Holy s***! Glad you were wearing safety glasses and that you're uninjured.

I also reload 357 mag (using 2400 powder though) but it's easy to notice a double charge if you're using a true slow burning magnum powder like 2400 or H110/W296 as the charge will overflow by a lot.

My issue is when I load my light 357 mag loads (38 spl load in a 357 case) using Bullseye and it is hard to see the charge and is possibly to double or triple charge the case. I've already had 1 squib load from these light loads - luckily I noticed the even lesser recoil than the loaded rounds themselves and did not shoot another round with the bullet stuck in the barrel.

Are you still going to buy Henry 45/70 now? [laugh]

Last edited:
On the bright side, the gun can be replaced, and your ego can be rebuilt. Not loosing any digits or your eyesight is priceless.

I need to rethink this too, as I were glasses and never have bothered to use anything else but

When I started shooting I wore safety glasses over my regular glasses. Than I got out of the habit. At some point I started wearing them again. I don't think that just my regular glasses would have protected me.

I was going to say time for the ammo company to buy you a new wheel gun. Then I read they were home loads.... Sorry man.

If this was factory ammo, what is the process to get things replaced? Contact both the firearm and ammo manufacturers? Save the box with production/lot number?

Back
Top Bottom