• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

a first true casualty to the press

paul73

NES Member
while depriming brass today it decided to chip off the edge of the plate. such a botheration.
it was a 750 6.5 Creedmoor plate - and i cannot even find it in their catalog.
daamn.
it was completely problem free so far - it is a first one.

plate.jpg

Dillon will replace them. Call them in the morning hours (their time) and they'll very likely be in the mail that afternoon.
i just called - was told it usually takes 72 hrs to look at email, ok, then was told the RMA number i need to put on the package, ship plate to them at my own postage, they will look at it and then send a replacement after that review.

so no, nothing in the mail for me at all any time soon.

and, what was also not very impressive at all - there is no phone number for warranty claims nor a directory entry when you call into their 800 number for claims or tickets. it is all online only - and online disclaimer says 1-2 weeks for a response!
guy i talked to was a technical support - the guy on claims was away - he could not see ticket, but was able to find the order and do RMA based on order number i provided.
not sure where all claims about great support from dillon came from - it was all rather abismal. if i did not have an extra plate now i would be out for probably a month now, it looks like.

Last edited:
i just called - was told it usually takes 72 hrs to look at email, ok, then was told the RMA number i need to put on the package, ship plate to them at my own postage, they will look at it and then send a replacement after that review.

Thank You. They never used to be this way. They have drastically changed their stance on standing behind their products since I've had any contact with them.

In light of this news, I will no longer be buying Dillon products as they've fallen behind other companies in their customer service.

Thank You. They never used to be this way. They have drastically changed their stance on standing behind their products since I've had any contact with them.

In light of this news, I will no longer be buying Dillon products as they've fallen behind other companies in their customer service.
it was rather confusing as it was not clear what to do. but there is no way to contact no one about the actual problem, it seems, other than an online form.
i am not 100% positive if guy i spoke to actually knew of what and how to do, but, who knows. maybe it was just my luck (lack of it).

does not matter, i will mail the damn plate, it is not an end of the world for me. i have a spare.

and, what was also not very impressive at all - there is no phone number for warranty claims nor a directory entry when you call into their 800 number for claims or tickets. it is all online only - and online disclaimer says 1-2 weeks for a response!
guy i talked to was a technical support - the guy on claims was away - he could not see ticket, but was able to find the order and do RMA based on order number i provided.
not sure where all claims about great support from dillon came from - it was all rather abismal. if i did not have an extra plate now i would be out for probably a month now, it looks like.
Dillon has tightened up on their once legendary warranty during the years.
- If you make a claim on the "lifetime" warranty on a tumbler purchased before the one year warranty limit, you are given a new tumbler and you lifetime warranty cancelled. This is a direct violation of the contract created by a "lifetime warranty".
- Their old policy of cutting slack for home users of 1050's was cancelled years ago
- They never used to play the "send it in at your own expense for evaluation" game. This is likely a pretext for "denied due to abuse claims".

The 6.5 Creedmoor has a .473 case head.
The same as a .308, 30-06, ect.

1647632395253.png

You don't need a 6.5 Creedmoor shell plate.
Get 2 of these.
They hold any case with a .473 head size.
I use a Dillion #1 for -
45ACP, 308, 30-06, 6.5X55, 6.5 Creedmoor,

Hope this helps you out

Dillon has tightened up on their once legendary warranty during the years.
- If you make a claim on the "lifetime" warranty on a tumbler purchased before the one year warranty limit, you are given a new tumbler and you lifetime warranty cancelled. This is a direct violation of the contract created by a "lifetime warranty".
- Their old policy of cutting slack for home users of 1050's was cancelled years ago
- They never used to play the "send it in at your own expense for evaluation" game. This is likely a pretext for "denied due to abuse claims".
I was a victim of their tumbler warranty and seeing that they are further restricting their warranty coverage of so many other parts and pieces of their products, I'm writing them off completely for any further purchases.

I used to hold them in high esteem but since their turn over to a second generation of ownership/management, they're no longer my first choice of reloading products.

Not had any issue getting warranty parts from RCBS. I broke the indexers for my PC5. First time I sent a couple of pictures in the email and they sent out the replacements (asked for a couple) pretty fast.

I've also emailed RCBS for more info, which they've provided to help me set up the press properly (included doc sucked since the pictures are all B&W and you cannot see different parts on top of each other). I printed out a color version (downloaded) and it helped a lot. But there's key information missing from the published document that (IMO) is needed. Plus for the case feed item.

I was a victim of their tumbler warranty and seeing that they are further restricting their warranty coverage of so many other parts and pieces of their products, I'm writing them off completely for any further purchases.

I used to hold them in high esteem but since their turn over to a second generation of ownership/management, they're no longer my first choice of reloading products.
Their "Your replacement by using the lifetime warranty will result in your receiving a unit with a one year warranty" is breech of contract, and almost certainly a violation of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act of 1975.

Dillon used to rebuild non-broken presses (I did that with my 550 when I moved - I sent it to Dillon with my new address as the return point), but now charges for that service.

Some of this is probably due to a mature market - when sales are slowly growing it becomes increasingly hard to bury the cost of unbilled support for previous customers into the financial noise.

Unfortunately, Dillon presses are built to a price point, not utmost quality. If a cast part is "good enough", even if will occasionally break, that's what they use. The shell plates that can crack or chip (BTDT, on the no-free-service-after-one-year 1050) would be much higher qualify if machined from bar stock, but they appear to be cast (I might be wrong about that though, but the part is easily broken). I'd rather pay a bit more to get better quality.

Vortex Optics is earlier in their growth cycle. The offer 100% lifetime warranty on their scopes without the usual "electronics excluded after N years" you see from all the other biggies (Aimpoint, Trijicon, Swavarski). It will be interesting to see if they cut back on this policy 20 or 30 years down the road when they are a larger, slower growth, company.

Their "Your replacement by using the lifetime warranty will result in your receiving a unit with a one year warranty" is breech of contract, and almost certainly a violation of the Magnuson-Moss warranty act of 1975.
Sears did the same thing with tape measures. If you returned a yellow or metal one with a lifetime warranty, you got a red one back with a 1 year warranty in return. They no longer made the ones with lifetime warranty and did not repair, only replaced.

Sears did the same thing with tape measures. If you returned a yellow or metal one with a lifetime warranty, you got a red one back with a 1 year warranty in return. They no longer made the ones with lifetime warranty and did not repair, only replaced.
I'm surprised a target as big as Sears did not get class actioned.

I think you will find person to person support dwindling with all this technology.
Warranty for tools has been hit with this. Email , attach photo and hurry up and wait. I had problems with Gear Wrench . I would entire all the "on line claim form" info and it would kick back
Product not found Call Customer Support. You call customer support and they keep telling you to do it on line. I had to be a a**h*** to get anywhere.
Lady was pissy from the get go. Really sucked I have since got 1 item sent to me out of a dozen. Everything else is on back order.

I think you will find person to person support dwindling with all this technology.
Warranty for tools has been hit with this. Email , attach photo and hurry up and wait. I had problems with Gear Wrench . I would entire all the "on line claim form" info and it would kick back
Product not found Call Customer Support. You call customer support and they keep telling you to do it on line. I had to be a a**h*** to get anywhere.
Lady was pissy from the get go. Really sucked I have since got 1 item sent to me out of a dozen. Everything else is on back order.
i sent that plate via usps to them, whatever happens now - let it be. i have a 308 plate on now, it works. it is a 0.001" thicker than a 6.5cm plate, for some odd reason, but the shell holder is obviously of same diameter, so it works.
i did not expect brass to brake steel, but, will be more cautious now of how much force to use pulling the shell out.

i sent that plate via usps to them, whatever happens now - let it be. i have a 308 plate on now, it works. it is a 0.001" thicker than a 6.5cm plate, for some odd reason, but the shell holder is obviously of same diameter, so it works.
i did not expect brass to brake steel, but, will be more cautious now of how much force to use pulling the shell out.

Use more or better lube on the brass when resizing.

Back
Top Bottom