• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first AR: to buy or what not to buy

Chuck Would,

You are 110% correct about buying knowledge. I think 99.9% of this purchase is finding everything out about an AR and going from there. Plus, i think half of the fun is the search process. Thanks for the book titles, i think they will come in handy...

Yup, I had a lot of fun doing the research and finding out a bunch I didn't know about black rifles. I called Fulton Armory when I started thinking about an AR. I had heard they could be had in "lefty", but had never seen one. I spent about an hour on the phone with them and their reccomendation was those two books and go from there. I bought those two books and studied them.

You don't necessarly have to get them from Fulton Armory. I believe they can be bought from several different places. Midway and maybe even Brownells. Take a look at Amazon.Com. They may even have them.

Glad to be able to help,

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and recommend the S&W M&P15FT - with the spring rebate deal you will end up at just over 1k ($1160ish not including tax). Judging by features alone, the S&W is the highest quality production AR made in ban configuration. The S&W AR's (not including the PC models) are now running quality LMT BCG's (sand cuts, properly staked gas key, etc.). Some people don't like the fact that they have a 1:9 twist and rifle feedramps - but really, no big deal. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a model with a mid length gas system and M4 feedramps but overall, I am supper pleased with my FT.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=33803&isFirearm=Y

I'm going to go ahead and recommend the S&W M&P15FT - with the spring rebate deal you will end up at just over 1k ($1160ish not including tax). Judging by features alone, the S&W is the highest quality production AR made in ban configuration. The S&W AR's (not including the PC models) are now running quality LMT BCG's (sand cuts, properly staked gas key, etc.). Some people don't like the fact that they have a 1:9 twist and rifle feedramps - but really, no big deal. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a model with a mid length gas system and M4 feedramps but overall, I am supper pleased with my FT.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=33803&isFirearm=Y

Excellent suggestion. Smith and Wesson is also now offering complete and stripped lowers and upper half assemblies. You could build the rifle you want....Also give Jon at www.anvilarms.com a call...

Back
Top Bottom