My CMP Garand arrived

jpm

Got my first CMP Garand at the end of last week! I requested a WW2 serial number and got an early April 1945 Springfield Armory in Service Grade.

It seems to be all SA except for the trigger group which is all HRA. The barrel is a 1955 replacement and is 1+ TE and 1+ ME. Woohoo! And the wood appears to be GI with nice color and character. Also has the DoD cartouche on the left side and the P stamp on the base of the grip. No other cartouches seem to be present.

It looks like the receiver has the original finish on it too. It certainly doesn't look like it was refinished when they replaced the barrel. I've seen the re-parkerized ones and it doesn't look like them at all. Looks vintage to me. Is this more desirable with the original finish??

P1012084.JPG
P1012075.JPG
P1012077.JPG P1012078.jpg
P1012076.JPG
P1012079.JPG
P1012080.JPG
P1012082.JPG
P1012083.jpg

After I finished checking it all out, I started the task of stripping it down completely and cleaning out the cosmo from every nook and cranny. Thanks to NESer Xcom for the suggestion of wrapping the stock in towels and a trash bag and letting it bake on the radiator. That worked very nicely. Also cleaned and oiled every bit of metal in it and of course greased it where it wanted to be greased when I put it back together.

Took it to the range today and had a blast shooting it. What a great rifle! I was using the HXP ball ammo the CMP sells and it all functioned flawlessly. Not a single FTF or misfire in the several dozen rounds. And the sights were pretty close too. Just needed a click to the left and a click or two up and I was taking out the center at 50 yards from the bench. The one at the bottom left (yeah I mounted the target sideways) was a shot at the small target on the lower left from that distance. The shots at the main target started with the group at the lower right quadrant and moved to the center and up with sight adjustments.

IMG_00000157.jpg

I'm definitely hooked now! Time to order more ammo lol.

You got this last week, and you're just posting it now? FAIL. [laugh]

Congrats. Nice score.

It took me a while to get it all cleaned and reassembled. I was pretty persnickety about it, wanted to get it all done right. Once I was done I couldn't waste time posting, I had to get it to the range lol.

Nice looking rifle with nice looking wood also. To the serious collector these "service grades " are not very interesting. Original finish on the reciever means little.
You have to understand that cmp cherries picks everything. Anything remotely collectable is put up on cmp auction. I have posted a few of the auctions here to show some of the craziness. Check it out. Still a fine rifle you got and you can easily trade trigger groups with a HRA owner

oh yeah I've seen some of those crazy auctions. I'll have to look at them again, I haven't checked them out recently. Overall I'm very happy with it, and its such fun to shoot that its probably a good thing I didn't have more enblocs. It slowed me down from going thru the entire can of ammo. It was funny watching the reactions of some of the other people at the range when I shot the last round and the clip goes pinging out. I think they thought something broke the first time lol.

Great rifle, I have my second on order. I am curious as to when you placed your order. Care to share that info?

Sure, I sent the order in around the end of september, they got it on October 4th. It hit the credit card on 11/5 and arrived here the 7th. Pretty quick, I thought it'd be closer to xmas before I got it. My box of ammo went in on the same order and had arrived literally the day before. Now that's timing.

oh yeah I've seen some of those crazy auctions. I'll have to look at them again, I haven't checked them out recently. Overall I'm very happy with it, and its such fun to shoot that its probably a good thing I didn't have more enblocs. It slowed me down from going thru the entire can of ammo. It was funny watching the reactions of some of the other people at the range when I shot the last round and the clip goes pinging out. I think they thought something broke the first time lol.
You want to see some funny stuff........I shoot some seriously light cast loads. I have tried them through my garand. I have had people run over to me and start to explain how the garand is a semi auto and I shouldn't need to cycle the bolt. Along with the "your ammo sounds funny"......still the best deal going to get a nice milsurp rifle.

Sure, I sent the order in around the end of september, they got it on October 4th. It hit the credit card on 11/5 and arrived here the 7th. Pretty quick, I thought it'd be closer to xmas before I got it. My box of ammo went in on the same order and had arrived literally the day before. Now that's timing.

Odd, I have an email confirming my order dated 8-22, but nothing yet. Time to email them.

Thanks

yeah that's way too long I think, unless its for something backordered. Mine was a service grade. I would just give them a call tomorrow, they're very pleasant to deal with.

Great looking original stock!

That was my first thought.. beautiful piece of wood with a little curl in it. Nice score!

My HRA service grade is from 1954 with all HRA parts except for a new CMP stock and the trigger which is SA. It's not a milled trigger guard though.. it's stamped. If you're interested in swapping them to see how it looks and make sure it works, shoot me a PM.

DSC05749.JPG

DSC05780.JPG

Also remember HRA IHC could verywell have came from the factory with SA parts. Especially in the last years as they used up supply.

Also remember HRA IHC could verywell have came from the factory with SA parts. Especially in the last years as they used up supply.

The last years would have been the higher serial numbers too, right? I didn't mention it above but mine is a 4795xxx. Either way it shoots great!

It's funny how people react to an M1. I took my nephews to the range the other week and they were shooting one of my M1s and a Carbine and there were some guys next to me with various tacticool ARs and they stopped and just looked and started talking and then begging to squeeze off some rounds (of course I let them...need more addicts, just a taste). After that they were hooked. Those ARs were cold for a while.

take any SHTF scenario out of the decision and my ARs would be tossed aside without hesitation in favor of a garand.

You want to see some funny stuff........I shoot some seriously light cast loads. I have tried them through my garand. I have had people run over to me and start to explain how the garand is a semi auto and I shouldn't need to cycle the bolt. Along with the "your ammo sounds funny"......still the best deal going to get a nice milsurp rifle.

There's a guy on youtube that said he removes the gas plug screw so the rifle doesn't cycle semi-auto. So he can he remove the brass manually and catch it so it doesn't fly out and get dinged up (or grab attempt by a brass rat).

If you remove the gas screw though I don't see what's holding the gas tube on [thinking]

Odd, I have an email confirming my order dated 8-22, but nothing yet. Time to email them.

Thanks

I believe if you ordered an HRA it's a long wait. It seems to me the crates with HRAs dried up and it's mostly SAs right now.
HRA ordered back in April took 4 months and I think it's running 4-6 months now if I'm not mistaken.

If you really don't care if its an HRA you might want to request to switch the order to an SA SG with WWII receiver s/n and USGI wood instead of an HRA SG.

That was my first thought.. beautiful piece of wood with a little curl in it. Nice score!

My HRA service grade is from 1954 with all HRA parts except for a new CMP stock and the trigger which is SA. It's not a milled trigger guard though.. it's stamped. If you're interested in swapping them to see how it looks and make sure it works, shoot me a PM.

Thanks! I may take you up on that. I'll have to pull mine out and see if its milled or stamped, I'm not sure offhand.

Yeah the wood is great, very happy with it. Just the right amount of character to it. I'm not planning to do anything further to it either, just removed the cosmo and wiped it lightly with a silicon cloth. I think it looks just right as is.

- - - Updated - - -

If you really don't care if its an HRA you might want to request to switch the order to an SA SG with WWII receiver s/n and USGI wood instead of an HRA SG.

This is what I did. When I first sent the order in, they were listing only HRA's on the site and no SA's. Right after it hit the estore they changed the site to no more HRA's and only SA's so I sent an email requesting a change to SA with WW2 serial # and it shipped about a week later.

I believe if you ordered an HRA it's a long wait. It seems to me the crates with HRAs dried up and it's mostly SAs right now.
HRA ordered back in April took 4 months and I think it's running 4-6 months now if I'm not mistaken.

I did indeed order an HRA because I already had a Springfield. They responded to my email today and said they had more HRAs in and my order will be processed quite soon. Giggidy...

Back
Top Bottom