• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzle Device Advice: pinned for MA

Do you need to weld a thread protector?

If you're looking to not have your rifle defined as an assault weapon, yes.

(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of --

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,
(3) A bayonet mount,
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, and
(5) A grenade launcher;

Pullman arms f***ed up my pin and weld on my SGL21 so much that I brought it to Dave Santurri to fix it which he had to duracoat ( or what ever they do to paint , I forget) after the mess. After that I only used 1776 which I know Is not there anymore and also had good results with northeast arms

Pullman arms f***ed up my pin and weld on my SGL21 so much that I brought it to Dave Santurri to fix it which he had to duracoat ( or what ever they do to paint , I forget) after the mess. After that I only used 1776 which I know Is not there anymore and also had good results with northeast arms

Can anybody recommend anyone in central MA besides Pullman?

Can anybody recommend anyone in central MA besides Pullman?

I've had both pin & welds and a micro-weld around the periphery. All done by Pullman, all perfect.

Beautiful Weld by Pullman Arms

pullman-weld-jpg.169466

OP if you don't want the increased loudness of a brake (chambered with closed end) but want the appearance of an A2 flash hider use a NY style fake one that is just barrel extension . You want the one that is Open end not Closed end. This place had them but all I can find now is the Open ended A1 or A2 that has holes on the side. I would contact them for the NY fake A1 or A2
Open ended no extra holes. Relatively cheap and also extensions for >16" if you have a 14.5" barrel.

Northern Gun Parts--High Quality Firearm Parts and Tools at Low Discount Prices! - Powered by Network Solutions.

In your experience and/or opinion could you explain the practical differences in these two?
A-2 Style .223 1/2-28 TPI 1.75" L. NY Barrel Extender Muzzle Device w/ 5 mock slots Closed-End
A-2 Style .223 1/2-28 TPI 1.75" L. NY Barrel Extender Muzzle Device w/ 5 mock slots Closed-End (.375 exit).
NYA2MockSlotscomparison1g.JPG

and
AR-.223 1/2-28 (A-2 style) Barrel Extender open-ended w/ 5 Rows of 3X4 Holes
AR-15 / M-16 A-2 Slotted Flash Hider
A2style2233x4Holes1.JPG

A lot of it will come down to the manufacturers characterization. If it’s marketed as a FH then it generally is going to be a bad idea to put it on your barrel in MA. Also, in addition to the ATF’s pin and weld option, you can also silver solder (I think using 1100 degree SS - there is a temp specification) which is easy to do in your own garage with a mapp torch. Brownells sells SS for this purpose. Leaves no marks on the muzzle brake. Many threads on ARFCOM and other sites about how to do it. Very easy.

FH is Mass is a no go unless it's on a preban.

The closed end brake will have a chamber and is going to be loud. If you contact them they should have a faux A2 with open end that's just basically a muzzle nut like barrel extension the keeps the gas moving forward.

Reviving this thread because there were a number of mentions of Pullman Arms/Micro Arc Welding here and I thought I would update folks.

I emailed Pullman today about a pin/weld job and the response was that they currently are only doing transfers.

I knew they had closed their retail operation some time ago but thought they were still doing gunsmithing, perhaps that is not a permanent situation but they did not elaborate.

That is unfortunate they did good work for me in the past. Makes options kind of thin in proximity to north central MA.

Going to reach out to Kevin at Custom Gun Service in Winchendon although I am not sure if pin/weld is a service he offers.

🐯

Reviving this thread because there were a number of mentions of Pullman Arms/Micro Arc Welding here and I thought I would update folks.

I emailed Pullman today about a pin/weld job and the response was that they currently are only doing transfers.

I knew they had closed their retail operation some time ago but thought they were still doing gunsmithing, perhaps that is not a permanent situation but they did not elaborate.

That is unfortunate they did good work for me in the past. Makes options kind of thin in proximity to north central MA.

Going to reach out to Kevin at Custom Gun Service in Winchendon although I am not sure if pin/weld is a service he offers.

🐯

Good to know, appreciate the update. It's possible that Micro Arc is slammed with industrial work based on the general madness in the industrial sector right now. Just a guess on my part. Glad they are still doing transfers- that can't be a big money maker and it's a very nice service to have close to home.

Thanks whalerman69.

Others feel free to PM me (so long as we don’t make a list for Maura to use) unless you know they don’t give a crap.
Haven't cared much about comps or muzzle brakes or other MA compliant devices for a long while, but Rainier Arms XTC Mod 1 is a good comp. BCM Comp is another that looks like an A2 but isn't a FH. Battlecomps are hot garbage.

I've used Saxonville Armory but they are Metrowest.

Just looking at that hurts my ears.

I'll shamelessly plug Gartman on Rt1. Forget the young guys name but he was kind and did a fantastic job.
Yeah , did not bother me one bit when I cut off the barrel just behind the threads and target crown job

On my last 2 AR builds I used a Faxon barrel with a slim profile integrated brake. These make it much easier to change out gas blocks if needed and no need to find a welder.

Just dropped some uppers off with Kevin. I will get them back in about a week as he has a lot of work at the moment (including the start of motorcycle season).

He showed me an example of a pin/weld he had just done for a customer and it looked nice, a clean discrete weld.

I will post a photo when done. I am sure he will do a good job for me, you only have to look at one of his motorcycle to see he takes pride in his work.

🐯

Bumping this thread for an update as I am looking for someone to do a pin/weld and pin a stock in the near future, and will have to replace the muzzle device that comes with my build. I'm in Wmass.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread for an update as I am looking for someone to do a pin/weld and pin a stock in the near future, and will have to replace the muzzle device that comes with my build. I'm in Wmass.

KC Small Arms over in Easthampton advertises pin & weld - haven't seen their work, but the shop has been good to work with. Not sure if they will pin a stock.

If you've got a drill, all you need is one of these and you can P/W all your builds for life:
;)

If you've got a drill, all you need is one of these and you can P/W all your builds for life:
;)

Recently bought this Lincoln FC only welder. Thing weighs just 15 pounds (not counting spool).

It is not a $99 Harbor Freight bargain, but then again I am pretty sure I should be able to get parts from Lincoln, should I ever need them after the 1-year warranty period.

$279 at Home Depot

PDF Brochure

🐯

Recently bought this Lincoln FC only welder. Thing weighs just 15 pounds (not counting spool).

It is not a $99 Harbor Freight bargain, but then again I am pretty sure I should be able to get parts from Lincoln, should I ever need them after the 1-year warranty period.

$279 at Home Depot

PDF Brochure

🐯

This afternoon I did a pin and weld on my new Aero Precision 18" upper (because MA :rolleyes:).

While I do have a drill press the VG6 brake has a pre-drilled hole for pinning, which simplifies the process. The pin was a length of shank cut off with a Dremel from the same 3/32" drill bit I used to bore into the threads.

Not bad for an amateur working on his own stuff. I think it will hold up. It came out essentially the same as my 14.5" BRN180S upper that I did a few weeks ago.

One more brake and this great little Lincoln 90i FC will have paid for itself. Wait a minute -- I did the knuckle on a Sig MCX folding stock a few weeks ago also, so consider it paid off ;).

lXdR8YW.jpg

🐯

Back
Top Bottom