Muzzle Device Advice: pinned for MA

I would like a Mass-legal muzzle device visually similar to those (but not flash hiding) that you would get on say an AR556 or M&P Sport etc as bought in a free state, but pinned and welded/whatever I need for MA.

I know the usual “why do you need it” “I don’t wanna stand next to you at the range” etc arguments.

I’m mostly just wanting to have what everyone else can have in free states (but not removable and not sold as a flash hider).

Is there a reputable place in MA (south shore ideally) that still does this type of work? My LGS doesn’t do it thanks to Maura.

Last edited:
Thanks whalerman69.

Others feel free to PM me (so long as we don’t make a list for Maura to use) unless you know they don’t give a crap.

The standard muzzle device on pretty much every AR-type rifle bought in a free state is an A2 flash hider. If your rifle has a pistol grip, then the flash hider would make it an Assault Weapon regardless of whether it's pinned or not.

The feature you will be adding is this:

a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

There are some muzzle brakes that look like an A2 flash hider, so if you get one of those then you'd be good.

For example: AIM Sports Inc A2 Barrel Muzzle Brake PJ006T Caliber: Range .223 - 5.56, Color: Black, 28% Off

Take your pick of gunsmiths, really. A muzzle device pin & weld is a common service. Just make sure what you get is marketed as a comp or brake instead of a flash hider. Because Massachusetts.

They make simple thread protectors. Guess those could be permanently attached as well.

There are some muzzle brakes that look like an A2 flash hider, so if you get one of those then you'd be good.

For example: AIM Sports Inc A2 Barrel Muzzle Brake PJ006T Caliber: Range .223 - 5.56, Color: Black, 28% Off
I have this one. Bought at optics planet. Waited forever, but at $6 and some change, well worth it. Good quality. They do come with the washer by the way.

Also my understanding is that flash hiders have an open end, and brakes/comps have,a small hole the size of the caliber being shot thru it

Mass = brake
World = flash hider

What do you want , a flash hider or brake? Sounds like you asked your lgs to weld on a flash hider.

Really? A gunsmith refused to do a pin and weld?
My LGS refuses to do any work on AR's. I think due to a liability issue or something. It really shouldn't be a big deal as long as it's not a flash hider on a post 94 rifle. I had to go all the way to the North Shore and they did the pin and welding for my compensator - no problem.

I would like the standard muzzle device that you would get on say an AR556 or M&P Sport etc as bought in a free state, but pinned and welded/whatever I need for MA.

I know the usual “why do you need it” “I don’t wanna stand next to you at the range” etc arguments.

I’m mostly just wanting to have what everyone else can have in free states (but not removable and not sold as a flash hider).

Is there a reputable place in MA (south shore ideally) that still does this type of work? My LGS doesn’t do it thanks to Maura.

Get a new LGS. What does the AG have to do with pinning a muzzle device on a barrel?

Mass = brake
World = flash hider

What do you want , a flash hider or brake? Sounds like you asked your lgs to weld on a flash hider.
No, I promise that I’ve always known that mass requires a brake and never a flash hider. I know my first post was poorly worded, sorry. I just re-edited it for clarity (although it won’t win a Pulitzer)

Good info so far thanks everyone

Last edited:
Just make sure what you get is marketed as a comp or brake instead of a flash hider. Because Massachusetts.

Right my understanding is that it is literally often just how it is marketed. Gotta keep Maura looking good for 2020 VP run don’t we.

+1 for Pullman in Worcester. They pinned & welded a Griffin flash/comp on my .308AR barrel. Nice work. Good guys. They checked my headspace for free while I waited, too.

I know you said you want what you want e.g. flash-hidey BRAKE, but if you have a minute check out the Griffin muzzle devices. I put the M4SD linear comp on my PDW, and love it. It definitely has muzzle 'brake' functionality (my gun is a soft shooter, even by AR standards), and the laval nozzle shape on the front really does throw the noise downrange more than most other devices I've heard at the range.

(Shhh I live in NC and it's NOT pinned or welded)

Last edited:
If the upper is going on to a pre-ban lower does the muzzle device need to be pinned/permanently attached?

If the upper is going on to a pre-ban lower does the muzzle device need to be pinned/permanently attached?

No, unless you need it to make the 16" barrel length requirement. Pre-ban in MA exempts you from the AWB features just as the federal law did.

Just be mindful if you're using an upper with a barrel less than 16" and need the muzzle device added to meet the 16" length, it must be permanently affixed which is federal law (unless you SBR it).

did not refuse just said they dont do it. Theres a lot "smiths" wont do.
I have these brakes on my carbine and A2 ..... I much prefer brakeless:p
Military Style Muzzle Brake

OP if you don't want the increased loudness of a brake (chambered with closed end) but want the appearance of an A2 flash hider use a NY style fake one that is just barrel extension . You want the one that is Open end not Closed end. This place had them but all I can find now is the Open ended A1 or A2 that has holes on the side. I would contact them for the NY fake A1 or A2
Open ended no extra holes. Relatively cheap and also extensions for >16" if you have a 14.5" barrel.

Northern Gun Parts--High Quality Firearm Parts and Tools at Low Discount Prices! - Powered by Network Solutions.

Back
Top Bottom