• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzle Brakes

SKS Ray

NES Member
Muzzle brakes... legal or not legal? I know some pre ban rifles come with muzzle brakes already on them and they're legal. Whats the legality in installing a muzzle brake on a pre ban rifle though? I'm asking this because there is a company that I recently found that offers an SKS muzzle brake that supposedly increases accuracy and of course reduces muzzle climb, plus it looks damn cool. I'd like to instal it on this Chinese SKS which is pre ban:

1a425277-1.jpg

Its my sniper project that I'm still dragging my feet on finishing.

Muzzle brakes... legal or not legal? I know some pre ban rifles come with muzzle brakes already on them and they're legal. Whats the legality in installing a muzzle brake on a pre ban rifle though? I'm asking this because there is a company that I recently found that offers an SKS muzzle brake that supposedly increases accuracy and of course reduces muzzle climb, plus it looks damn cool. I'd like to instal it on this Chinese SKS which is pre ban:

1a425277-1.jpg

Its my sniper project that I'm still dragging my feet on finishing.

If I'm not mistaken, there's no "pre-ban" with the SKS because it was never part of the AWB.

Someone posted a link to laws about the SKS. Since I have no desire to run afoul of any MA gun laws, I'll leave my SKS alone until I move to NH... [smile]

pre and post bans can have a muzzle brake. pre bans can be threaded on. post ban has to be permanently. post bans can't have flash hiders

All advertising claims aside, I can't imagine any way for a muzzle brake to contribute to the accuracy of a rifle except for the coincidental vibration dampening effect of its' weight on the barrel. The Browning "Boss" and its' derivatives are an example of a muzzzle device that can be used to "tune" the barrel until the muzzle is at a vibration node. BTW, it is said that the steps in a Mauser System rifle barrel serve the same function.
Further, a muzzle brake is not the best solution for recoil reduction on any non-magnum rifle caliber as the slight decrease in recoil is more than offset by the disadvantages of increased muzzle blast. Shooter comfort is more effectively increased by a better recoil pad or a padded patch on the shooters garments.
A muzzle brake can, however, be usefull to keep a full auto gun pointed generally in the right direction, the above compromises being noted.
The most significant advantage to a muzzle brake on a rifle is probably the enhanced "cool" factor.[wink]
It may be significant that Marlin has dropped the ported guns after many people complained/requested/bought other brands.
As the current MA laws are essentially copied from the old Federal AW Ban, the same general conditions should be noted. The muzzle brake, if installed on a threaded barrel, must be mounted permanently by arc welding or high temperature silver soldering. Clamp-on or bolted/set screwed muzzle brakes, on unthreaded barrels are OK as-is. The device must also have been sold only as a muzzle brake, with no mention of flash hiding capabilities.

The legal status of preban SKSs is a very gray area. Depending upon whom you ask, ANY change to a preban SKS might not be legal. I certainly am not temped to be a test case for the SKS mess, refering to the link posted in your previous thread.

The preceding reflects my experiences and opinions. YMMV

Last edited:
The SKS laws link I posted was more Chinese than the rifle it was describing.
This SKS pictured has had the bayonet lug ground off, hence a reason I got it so cheap. From things I've read I'm thinking with the right amount of US made parts its more acceptable and becomes just another registered semi auto. Losuy Mass greay area laws.[frown]
And Jay... leave your SKS alone. That was one of the first imports and is already considered a collectable.[wink] Plus the C&R factor of it makes modifyng it another grey area. Mine pictured however is an early 80's built Chinese Norinco.

The SKS laws link I posted was more Chinese than the rifle it was describing.
This SKS pictured has had the bayonet lug ground off, hence a reason I got it so cheap. From things I've read I'm thinking with the right amount of US made parts its more acceptable and becomes just another registered semi auto. Losuy Mass greay area laws.[frown]
And Jay... leave your SKS alone. That was one of the first imports and is already considered a collectable.[wink] Plus the C&R factor of it makes modifyng it another grey area. Mine pictured however is an early 80's built Chinese Norinco.

So YOU posted the link to SKS laws?? D'OH!!!

Don't worry, I have no plans on modifying that SKS even if I were to move to NH. If I'm going to "evil-up" a gun once I escape, it's going to be an AK-clone or AR-variant...

So YOU posted the link to SKS laws?? D'OH!!!

Don't worry, I have no plans on modifying that SKS even if I were to move to NH. If I'm going to "evil-up" a gun once I escape, it's going to be an AK-clone or AR-variant...

Escaping to a free state doesn't fix the SKS legal debacle, as there is still the
federal 89 import ban that still exists. In order to add "evil features"
to the gun, you'll always be barred by 922r, unless you replace the requisite
amount of parts with US made ones. Apparently because a chunk of steel
or plastic has the letters " US " stamped in it, that makes it all better. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom