• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzleloader Registration Question

Ae1m

NES Member
I am a hunter who is interested starting to use a muzzleloader. I was surprised to learn the vendor could mail it directly to me unlike a center fire rifle. This is a modern current model CVA break-action muzzleloader.

I am assuming this is classified as an "antique firearm" under federal law and not a firearm under GCA. Please comment if I misunderstand the law.

In MA, must I still register it in the portal once I receive it?

I am getting some conflicting information.

Thanks,

Following as I am in a similar situation and assumed I would have to go to a FFL.

No registration. Will still need to have FID/LTC for components purchased/possessed in MA.

To clarify, you will need to show an FID to purchase the components.

Possession depends on the muzzleloader because of the definition of ammunition in this state. Because the modern inline muzzleloaders use a 209 primer the primer falls under the definition of ammunition.

Bob

''Ammunition'', cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term ''ammunition'' shall also mean tear gas cartridges.

Muzzleloader Registration Question

THIS. Read it again and comprehend.

you will need a LTC/FID to purchase components in MA.......or simply go to NH

if you get FID/LTC you are on the radar, car stop for broken tail light, cop:" you got dem guns in car with you?" This way you are under the radar.

Cannons are not firearms too, you don't need to register them either, not even if it shoots 10 pound volley of ball bearings.

if you get FID/LTC you are on the radar, car stop for broken tail light, cop:" you got dem guns in car with you?" This way you are under the radar.

Cannons are not firearms too, you don't need to register them either, not even if it shoots 10 pound volley of ball bearings.

But you need a special license to shoot it....

Are you dropping hints about you next build? [wink]

Muzzleloaders are not firearms, have it shipped to your door, do not efa10 anything, period, end of story.
Bud’s Gun Shop website insists that the CVA Accura is a break action so needs to be shipped through an FFL fo MA, so I am using my favorite place, Great Road Firearms in Acton.

Bud’s Gun Shop website insists that the CVA Accura is a break action so needs to be shipped through an FFL fo MA, so I am using my favorite place, Great Road Firearms in Acton.
That's completely wrong, just fyi, I'd buy it from somewhere else

Bad advice - what does he do when he's got the broken tail light stop and the cop finds the powder and primers in the car?

Bad advice - what does he do when he's got the broken tail light stop and the cop finds the powder and primers in the car?
op said he is a hunter, pretty sure has fid/ltc, but it is stupid advice, f*** if that's the case when i get pulled over the cops must call the national guard when they see my fa10 list lol

209 primers require an FID/LTC for possession, in the DPRM. Caps for other ignition systems, and Black Powder or substitute don't require FID/LTC for possession, only to purchase, in Mass.

Finally got the info, since CVA break actions must be registered and must be received (if being shipped) by FFL since they are "break action" and can be converted to centerfire.
Muzzleloaders are not firearms, have it shipped to your door, do not efa10 anything, period, end of story.

Buds Gun Shop online says that break-action muzzleloaders like the CVA models, are convertible to shoot rimfire so under MA Law they must be transferred (when buying online) through an FFL, so I have one on the way to Great Road Firearms instead of direct to me.

They have a MA law policy document here: https://www.budsgunshop.com/feeds/state_reg/massachusetts_restrictions.pdf

Tried scouring the MA General Laws and could not find evidence either way.

Bob

If it's not prohibited, then it's legal. There doesn't need to be a law to allow it.

Finally got the info, since CVA break actions must be registered and must be received (if being shipped) by FFL since they are "break action" and can be converted to centerfire.

Buds Gun Shop online says that break-action muzzleloaders like the CVA models, are convertible to shoot rimfire so under MA Law they must be transferred (when buying online) through an FFL, so I have one on the way to Great Road Firearms instead of direct to me.

They have a MA law policy document here: https://www.budsgunshop.com/feeds/state_reg/massachusetts_restrictions.pdf

Bob
That's buds gun shops opinion. I can order one of those anywhere and have it shipped to my door. Just because it can be "converted" doesn't mean anything. I can convert a ruger old army or 1858 to shoot .45 colt but that still doesn't make it a firearm when it's in it's usual cap and ball form.

Bob

Order it here and be done with it.

Order it here and be done with it.

This is exactly what I did at the beginning of the season. Muzzleloaders.com had the same gun to my front door in a week. Threw in some free swag also.
Buds is running you in circles, unnecessarily.

Bob
From that MA law policy.
Self-defense sprays (pepper & chemical sprays) may be sold only through a licensed in-state Massachusetts firearm dealer.
That is no longer true correct?

From that MA law policy.
Self-defense sprays (pepper & chemical sprays) may be sold only through a licensed in-state Massachusetts firearm dealer.
That is no longer true correct?
Still true in MA. Nothing prevents you from buying them outside MA however.

For instance, Costco has a 4-pack of no-name OC (2 keychain, 2 larger) for $29.99 in their Nashua store. They can't sell them in Commiechusetts as only MA gun dealers can sell them in MA.

Back
Top Bottom