• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre Ban AR-15 Muzzle Brakes

Hey Guys,

Noob to the board, apologies if this has been answered thousands of times but I can’t seem the find an answer.

I have a pre ban that came with a 20” barrel (colt sporter HBAR), I just purchased a 16” barrel (not including muzzle and not threaded)

Can I attach any muzzle brake (not flash hider or compensator) to my barrel?

I do not need to have this welded because it’s a pre ban correct?

Thank you in advance

You are fine. Install your muzzle device of choice. No need to pin and weld. If the barrel was less then 16” you would have to pin and weld due to NFA stupidity, but that’s a different matter.

Last edited:
You are fine. Install your muzzle device of choice. No need to pin and weld. If the barrel was less then 16” you would have to pin and weld due to NFA stupidity, but that’s a different matter.
Thank you! This was my assumption but I just wanted to make sure 🙏🏼

Hey Guys,

Noob to the board, apologies if this has been answered thousands of times but I can’t seem the find an answer.

I have a pre ban that came with a 20” barrel (colt sporter HBAR), I just purchased a 16” barrel (not including muzzle and not threaded)

Can I attach any muzzle brake (not flash hider or compensator) to my barrel?

I do not need to have this welded because it’s a pre ban correct?

Thank you in advance
Muzzle brakes are what you can use on post ban and pre ban guns. Flash hiders are what you can't use on post bans. So no matter how you cut it, muzzle brake is fine. Personally I would not put a brake on that, 223 doesn't need a brake. Just leave the muzzle as is, the blast is going to be SUPER obnoxious with a brake.

Back
Top Bottom