Muzzle Brakes Vs. Compensators for AR

Im just busting balls as I just dont like brakes/comps on ARs
I hacked the last of my muzzle deviced ARs off last year and gave it a 11’ target crown. My others have a “straight” recessed match/target crown
View attachment 382015
Hopefully yours look better than the one in that picture...I think I could do better with one of these:
1597868568007.png

This thing from Guntec is pretty cool. It's a slip-over barrel shroud with linear compensator and muzzle brake features. I plan on using this with a 15" handguard to get that suppressor look going. Adds less than 1" to the length of the barrel.
1597880542078.png

Looks pretty cool too, def makes the list, but currently out of stock must be in stock somewhere though.
The previously mentioned Griffin M4SD linear compensator is pretty cool. Does what it says it does. It's notably quieter at the range than guns with flash hiders or other brakes.

Sadly, they’ve been out of stock for some time. I finally emailed them asking if they’d be made again, but no response for a few weeks now.

Looks pretty cool too, def makes the list, but currently out of stock must be in stock somewhere though.

Another, in-stock, option is the Black River Tactical Covert Comp. It doesn’t have any top-compensating ports and is just a linear comp. It is also not long enough to make a 14.5” into a pinned 16”. You’d need a shim.

But, it is much nicer looking and smaller than most linear comps (aside from the Griffin M4SD). It also has decent flash suppression properties. Personally I’m confident in it just being a comp, but some may be scared about AWB violation status because of its advertising claims and it’s “covert” name. Just a heads up.

This thing from Guntec is pretty cool. It's a slip-over barrel shroud with linear compensator and muzzle brake features. I plan on using this with a 15" handguard to get that suppressor look going. Adds less than 1" to the length of the barrel.
View attachment 382063

I'm planning on putting one of these kaw xl 4inch models on a 9mm build I have coming together. Hoping it functions as advertised but if not, isn’t a huge investment. Will look cool but if thats all it does will pick something else...

KVP-XL-COMP-BLACK-2T.jpg

Sadly, they’ve been out of stock for some time. I finally emailed them asking if they’d be made again, but no response for a few weeks now.
Jeez, they must have gotten completely swamped. Maybe they were unequipped production-wise to deal with the heavy demand.
Another, in-stock, option is the Black River Tactical Covert Comp. It doesn’t have any top-compensating ports and is just a linear comp. It is also not long enough to make a 14.5” into a pinned 16”. You’d need a shim.

But, it is much nicer looking and smaller than most linear comps (aside from the Griffin M4SD). It also has decent flash suppression properties. Personally I’m confident in it just being a comp, but some may be scared about AWB violation status because of its advertising claims and it’s “covert” name. Just a heads up.
That is sleek. I actually have an Anderson upper and Colt upper (minus the handguard which is Magpul) that might work with this that aren’t 14.5” but I’d have to verify. My Radical Firearms upper was my guinea pig and I just have a standard muzzle brake with the three holes on either side. Not thrilled with the looks but its been decent, definitely want to invest in a comp/brake/combo for the Colt barrel and would take a cooler comp for the Anderson just for the sake of upping my game.

The A2 birdcage is perfectly acceptable for like 97% of builds. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.

I have a SF 3 prong on my gucci SBR because if it doesn't look cool, whats the point?
(I also dream of one day moving to a free state and getting a can for it).

The A2 birdcage is perfectly acceptable for like 97% of builds. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.

I have a SF 3 prong on my gucci SBR because if it doesn't look cool, whats the point?
(I also dream of one day moving to a free state and getting a can for it).
The two uppers in question both have birdcages but unfortunately I do not have preban lower for them so they must be modified accordingly. Just want to make the right call on the mod this time around because last time the gunsmith was nice enough to pick one out for me but this time I want to come with a couple I’ve chosen.

How obnoxious are those? Of course, I realize, if you want to knock it down, I think those are the ones that will take the warden on top....

The warcomp isn’t obnoxious. It’s just their three prong flash hider with ports on top to control muzzle rise. Their muzzle brakes though, I can’t speak to how obnoxious they are.

RoofTopDefense has SF Warcomps for $124 shipped. He is a vendor on Ar15.com with all positive reviews. I bought one last night and seemed like a real nice guy through e-mail interaction. VG6 Epsilon is good too if you can find one. CapeGunWorks has a few in stock, not sure of price. Also, I believe the law reverts to the manufacturers description. It can have minimal brake/comp capabilities and be a good flash hider as long as it's labeled as a comp/brake and not an FH.

I'm planning on putting one of these kaw xl 4inch models on a 9mm build I have coming together. Hoping it functions as advertised but if not, isn’t a huge investment. Will look cool but if thats all it does will pick something else...

View attachment 382066

my 7.5” 9mm has the normal length version of this under a 9” rail. For the price it is hard to beat.

... Also, I believe the law reverts to the manufacturers description. It can have minimal brake/comp capabilities and be a good flash hider as long as it's labeled as a comp/brake and not an FH.

The law makes no such distinction about what is or is not a flash suppressor. Federally during the AWB, the ATF would test muzzle devices to approve them as non-flash hiders. We don’t have that anymore. I believe California has stipulations about devices being advertised with flash suppression properties, but not Massachusetts. We only have a direct link to the federal ban text:
“A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor”

A manufacturer’s claim about being a brake or comp is a good start, but who knows. I mean, BRT’s Covert Comp had covert in the name and claims to have flash suppression properties. But in testing, it has less flash suppression than the Battlecomp, which was approved by the ATF as “not a flash suppressor”. ATF approval and comparisons against approved devices doesn’t necessarily mean much in MA. But it’s more easily defensible in court.

Last edited:
my 7.5” 9mm has the normal length version of this under a 9” rail. For the price it is hard to beat.

Cool - they seem to indicate the bigger one might work better so going to line it up with that and see what I think. Going for the outside of the rail setup w/ a 7 inch rail.

Have 2 lowers, will probably put a 2nd together in close proximity, go up to a 9 inch rail, down to the shorter comp etc etc. Whatever parts don't quite make sense will incorporate them into the next build.

View attachment 382066

I've got one on my 300BLK upper. Now if I hadn't putzed around last Winter and had ordered some ammo I could tell you how good it works. ROFL!

I've got one on my 300BLK upper. Now if I hadn't putzed around last Winter and had ordered some ammo I could tell you how good it works. ROFL!

Whenever it shows if my AR9 isnt yet done I will screw it on my PC Charger and see the results with and without. Was hoping would arrive for the weekend but looks like Monday.

Im just busting balls as I just dont like brakes/comps on ARs
I hacked the last of my muzzle deviced ARs off last year and gave it a 11’ target crown. My others have a “straight” recessed match/target crown
View attachment 382015
I'm with you. I used to think it HAD to have an A2 or birdcage compensator on the end to look right. Now, not so much.

I'm with you. I used to think it HAD to have an A2 or birdcage compensator on the end to look right. Now, not so much.

Well I will say, when I pickup my mini 14 which I really do enjoy as a simple stainless semi auto rifle, the lack of a birdcage is obvious - even in daylight I see a flash that isn't present with my AR's.

Not on a post-ban. It’s a flash hider and Surefire even advertises it as such. They just added “comp” to the name to differentiate it from the standard three prong flash hider.
That is what I assumed. I was reading a lot more “flash hider” than I was reading “muzzle brake.” I’m still heavily leaning towards a hybrid brake/comp like @gxx9sdb mentioned or the Covert Comp you recommended, you would need a washer for your standard “pencil” barrel, correct?

That is what I assumed. I was reading a lot more “flash hider” than I was reading “muzzle brake.” I’m still heavily leaning towards a hybrid brake/comp like @gxx9sdb mentioned or the Covert Comp you recommended, you would need a washer for your standard “pencil” barrel, correct?
Yeah, you’ll want a shim if you have a pencil barrel. BRT sells them if you go that route.

Back
Top Bottom