Muzzle Brakes Vs. Compensators for AR

Lots of guys, myself included, put a lot of effort into getting their dream rifle — whether a factory build or home build. I get how guys get bent when other guys crap on their pride… many guys have several, but we all have our favorite. It’s funny how something not personal becomes so personal.

I currently have 14.5” also… previously also had a build with a Ballistic Advantage barrel, BCM KMR rail and the Strike Industries King Comp and really love that setup. I decided to sell it at the time and subsequently replaced it with something else.

@cams if you think the Lantac Dragon is heavy, don’t try the Hera LC, LOL
"I get how guys get bent when other guys crap on their pride… many guys have several, but we all have our favorite. It’s funny how something not personal becomes so personal."

I agree, I also don't understand why muzzle devices also turns into a compliance dick measuring contest.

You get it though, I am trying to really dial in a rifle. At first I thought it would be cool to just have lots of rifles but not I think I would prefer to have one or two very nice ones. It's difficult to to really know what you want because it seems like every other month I will see something I wish I bought instead. I just found these scalar rifle works iron sights that I wish I had bought instead of multiple sets of MBUS.

I am also hoping the hera will have less blast than even the a2 flash hider. I could just use that but I'm willing to experiment.

Why would one neuter the barrel to 13.5 just to attach heavy muzzle devices back to 16”. That makes no sense. A barrel is a pressure vessel. I want my projectile move as fast as possible. Run a 16” to get the mid length gas system and a lightweight muzzle device for whatever purpose is needed. Or better yet I mostly run 18” rifle length suppressed to get the benefits of max velocity and smooth rifle length gas system.
Yeah, I don’t understand intentionally going short on the barrel just to have to put on a long muzzle device that doesn’t do anything for you. Now, I do understand going with a 13.9” barrel to attach a surefire flash hider. Both because it’s a good flash hider and in case you can have a silencer. It’s a great small non-SBR general purpose length for those in free states or if you have a Preban. The reduced velocity is worth it for the shorter length with good flash hiding properties. But to go with a short barrel length to add on something heavy, which functions the same as a smaller and lighter muzzle device… I don’t get it.

When I want a longer barrel though, I just go with 20”. It seems many loads gain more velocity going from 18-20 than they do from 16-18.

Noveske makes quality components, but most of their products are gimmicky, driven by aesthetics and horribly overpriced. This rifle is a perfect example. It is a complete contradiction. the 308 cartridge has only 13 and whatever inches of barrel yet still brought to 16” overall…it just makes no sense. The gas system appears to be carbine? Good luck getting that to run reliably or smoothly. Hopefully it has an adjustable gas system (Noveske makes a very cool one but it’s expensive and clunky). Unfortunately their website has zero info, again because they rely on fancy cerakote to sell their overpriced rifles.

Regarding this barrel length….
Of late there has been enthusiasm for the 13.7 or 13.9 pinned to 16” with a longer keymo muzzle device like the SOLGW NOX. The idea behind this is that one can get a mid length gas system with a QD muzzle device for attachment of suppressor, yet still maintain shortest possible OAL. In absence of suppressor, dwell time is very short so these run on the margin of reliability unsuppressed. Triarc, Rosco and SOLGW have popularized this barrel setup. Ballistic Advantage and others have joined in. My guess is that Noveske is pulling a “me too” only they’ve totally missed the point from a functional perspective.

For $3500 I could have two LWRC’s or two PWS rifles, or an LMT and a BCM. Or if i were insisting on 308 I’m pretty sure $3500 would get a POF and another nice rifle. No comparison. Noveske is out to lunch.
Mid length 13.9s are very reliable. And those brands may have popularized it, but Black River Tactical was one of the first with a 14” mid length barrel. It shoots great.

Yeah, I don’t understand intentionally going short on the barrel just to have to put on a long muzzle device that doesn’t do anything for you. Now, I do understand going with a 13.9” barrel to attach a surefire flash hider. Both because it’s a good flash hider and in case you can have a silencer. It’s a great small non-SBR general purpose length for those in free states or if you have a Preban. The reduced velocity is worth it for the shorter length with good flash hiding properties. But to go with a short barrel length to add on something heavy, which functions the same as a smaller and lighter muzzle device… I don’t get it.

When I want a longer barrel though, I just go with 20”. It seems many loads gain more velocity going from 18-20 than they do from 16-18.
Assuming its for a state like Mass, where most ar builders seem to follow compliance strictly, then a pin and weld for a 16" will add about 2 inches. If you are going to pin and weld anyway then there is a lot of appeal to going to a longer barrel to gain a truer 16" rifle setup.

The other aspect of muzzle devices are people who just have a specific purpose in mind. If I was in a freer state I would just have a three prong surefire and suppressor and call it a day.

How do suppressors work in NH? Do you assign it to a single weapon? Is it worth getting a pistol one?
Lol they "work" the same way they do in like 30+ other states. Buy can at dealer. Fill out ATF paperwork pay 200 tax. Wait 6-9 months for form 4 ATF bullshit. Pick up can from dealer once it goes through. done. You can use it on any gun you want.

FIFY (picturing someone duct taping a 30cal suppressor onto a 10/22)

My 10/22 is wearing an ancient AWC 9mm Jupiter Eye can with the booster replaced by a sleeve of electrical conduit 🤣🤣

Thats how much i used my pistol can, literally never.

My Volquartzen Scorpion MK4 thingy has a sico 22 can on it, thats the only suppressed pistol im really interested in.

Back
Top Bottom