• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Muzzle Brakes Vs. Compensators for AR

Rocky Mosasaurus

NES Member
From what I understand, muzzlebrakes divert gasses sideways whereas compensators divert gasses downrange.

What are the advantages of each? Do compensators have better accuracy than muzzlebrakes? From a legal standpoint, can compensators be installed instead of muzzlebrakes? I read this answer to this last question is ‘yes.’ Please school me on the difference between muzzlebrakes and compensators, especially for ARs.

Compensators are great for reducing muzzle climb vs. a muzzle brake which focuses on reducing recoil. That's why you see a lot of SMG's with a compensator, and something like a .50bmg with a muzzle brake.

On my ar I have a BCM comp mod 1. So far it's a thumbs up and definitely would recommend. Compensators are great for follow up shots and will keep you on target during a fast string.

Last edited:
compensators are legal in MA and more friendly for your neighbors on the line. They should result in a bit more recoil...so it'll go from "a little" to "some"...
But would a linear compensator reduce muzzle rise slightly? Or do all compensators contribute to felt recoil?

But would a linear compensator reduce muzzle rise slightly? Or do all compensators contribute to felt recoil?
Linear comps generally do not reduce muzzle rise. Some have ports on top to sacrifice a little forward direction in favor of reducing muzzle rise a little, like the Griffin Armament M4SD Linear Comp.

Most comps do not add to felt recoil. Linear comps are unique because they direct the blat forwards and there’s the whole equal and opposite reaction deal.

But most comps that focus on reducing muzzle rise/stabilizing the muzzle do not add to felt recoil. They just don’t reduce felt recoil as much as a brake.

Linear comp Will always increase perceived recoil due to Newton’s 3rd law. That being said for a low recoiling cartridge like 223 with a low magnification optic a linear comp is great. Kaw valley, Troy claymore,etc. For higher mag optic or cartridge like 308 no thanks. Brakes are straight annoying. When I was stuck in MA I pinned the 2A T3 comp because it checked the boxes while not blasting gas all over town. the single chamber brakes are the worst. Multi are awful too.

Linear comp Will always increase perceived recoil due to Newton’s 3rd law. That being said for a low recoiling cartridge like 223 with a low magnification optic a linear comp is great. Kaw valley, Troy claymore,etc. For higher mag optic or cartridge like 308 no thanks. Brakes are straight annoying. When I was stuck in MA I pinned the 2A T3 comp because it checked the boxes while not blasting gas all over town. the single chamber brakes are the worst. Multi are awful too.
It’s interesting that you mention Newtons 3rd law because that’s totally what I was thinking about with gasses forward so ^ felt recoil...the classic F_12=-F_21

@92G Also since I’m running mostly a Sig big dot and iron sights but planning on grabbing a couple more red dots the linear comp makes total sense.

11 degree target crown? Is this a special kind of Muzzle Brake?
It means their barrels have no muzzle device at all. There's a bevel cut in the end of the barrel (called a crown) that makes the outer edge proud of the bore. This protects the bore from incidental damage and is alleged to improve accuracy.

It means their barrels have no muzzle device at all. There's a bevel cut in the end of the barrel (called a crown) that makes the outer edge proud of the bore. This protects the bore from incidental damage and is alleged to improve accuracy.
the recessed target crown is good to.

There are a lot of devices that are comps & brakes combined (like the Lantac Dragon for example). Right now I am trying to decide between the Dragon and the VG6 Gamma SL. Both basically do the same thing, gases go up and out the sides. The difference is pretty amazing... feels like shooting a .22

There are a lot of devices that are comps & brakes combined (like the Lantac Dragon for example). Right now I am trying to decide between the Dragon and the VG6 Gamma SL. Both basically do the same thing, gases go up and out the sides. The difference is pretty amazing... feels like shooting a .22
Wow that’s actually a game changer. And I thought I had a lot to consider deciding between a Brake or Compensator...

I have the VG6 Gamma 7.62 (not familiar with the SL version) and haven’t put it on yet. The range I shoot at has a pretty tightly packed outdoor rifle range and I’ve been reading how disruptive the side discharge is, so I’ve been reluctant to put it on.

Anyone have direct experience with it? It would be replacing the birdcage on an AR-308.

Maybe try this:

Maybe try this:
Wow those prices are incredibly reasonable

I have the Battle Comp and BCM Mod 1 and both are fine pieces. Here is the best, most scientific review of muzzle devices ever. There are three parts and the links to the other two are in the beginning of the article

Any particular ones you would recommend?
BCM and Griffin both make compensators that look like A2 flash hiders. I would put one of those on a AWB compliant rifle to make it somewhat usable in a low light scenario and not offensive to all forms of life within 500 yards from your muzzle.
Sorry, I don't remember model names.

BCM and Griffin both make compensators that look like A2 flash hiders. I would put one of those on a AWB compliant rifle to make it somewhat usable in a low light scenario and not offensive to all forms of life within 500 yards from your muzzle.
Sorry, I don't remember model names.
Thank you, I will definitely look into them. There is a lot of meat in this thread now I’m going to have to devote a day or two in order to read through everyones links and check out the different products people have recommended.

A billion years ago, I got a Bushmaster with an AK74 brake on it. Took it down to Taunton to shoot. They have this metal shed roof over the 100yd (or maybe 50) firing line.

With good muffs, my teeth were rattling every shot. Just the combo of the brake pushing sound BACK and then it hitting the metal shed roof and slamming back down on my shooting position. It was awful.

What is that thing?!

Do the benches clear because it is so loud or because it is so ugly?

9B95256E-5ED8-420F-85C6-E2E192A2A8C8.jpeg

Maybe try this:

Maybe I'm confused, I think we're saying the same thing: the bore is recessed compared to the outer edge of the barrel, yes?
Like this:
Im just busting balls as I just dont like brakes/comps on ARs
I hacked the last of my muzzle deviced ARs off last year and gave it a 11’ target crown. My others have a “straight” recessed match/target crown
48F7ADA0-692F-47AD-81B0-F578DD56DE8A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom