Muzzle brake on AR15?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I don't have any muzzle devices on my two AR15's. I am wondering if there is any point to a muzzle brake. I don't really have any problems with the recoil at this point, so does it make any difference in accuracy or follow up shots?

I don't have any muzzle devices on my two AR15's. I am wondering if there is any point to a muzzle brake. I don't really have any problems with the recoil at this point, so does it make any difference in accuracy or follow up shots?

Though not necessarily a "need" per se, a good muzzle brake can help with accuracy and follow up shots...Plus, they look bad... [wink]

muzzle400.jpg

Depends on the brake installed.

Some are designed and installed more for aesthetic reasons and offer little reduction in felt recoil or muzzle climb.

Those designed more for competitive shooters will have a noticeable reduction in recoil and muzzle climb... allowing quicker follow-up shots. The Miculek brake being one example (however IMHO looks awful on an AR).

A couple of disadvantages of adding a muzzle brake is that they can increase the loudness of the rifle (more of an issue shooting in doors... even more so if there are other shooters on the range). Bushmasters Mini Y Comp is said to be awful in that regard (plus... it looks like crap).

Another disadvantage (from a tactical standpoint... probably not a concern to %99 of us here), is that some of the older designs will kick up dirt/dust when firing from the prone position giving away the shooters location. Properly/newer design brakes eliminate the problem by omitting the 6'oclock port. Muzzle brakes also have to be "timed" properly by use of a crush washer so that the escaping gases are vented upwards and/or to the sides.

Again... depends on the brake.

A good brake, carefully installed by a good gunsmith, will result in a rifle with no muzzle rise, making followup shots a piece of cake.

I have brakes on all of my ARs.

They make a difference, but recoil control is going to depend more on your stance and ability to control the recoil. I found that when shooting off a bipod on a solid surface, without the brake, I wasn't able to see the bullet impact, with the brake and 4895 or Re15, it was alittle better but still some hop. when I use H335, the rifle stays put and I can see the impact. This saves me alot of time at 300 yards when you waste alot of time listening for the hit

Does the permanently installed muzzle brake inhibit your ability to remove the gas block assembly?

Yes, unless it is a two piece block. You can cut the brake off if you need. But then you'll need to buy a new brake.

Back
Top Bottom