MRA Loeb Range Fan

I was there Thursday of last week, and the issue seemed to be that the breaker was being thrown when the fan was switched on.

Hmmm... there is supposed to be some pin shooting and I was gonna shoot today. Going to run out of daylight if I don't re-arrange my schedule.Guess I better bring some plated ammo for the pins instead of my usual lead.

I'm new to the MRA - does this sort of thing happen often? Are they usually good at getting things fixed quickly, or might we expect to have the Loeb range down for a while?

I can't shoot outside because it's dark by the time I get out of work, and the upstairs range is always full of kids, so it's basically the only place I can shoot during the week.

I have been a member for a year and half, this is the first time this has happened. The real problem is that they have not fixed it for two weeks! Next year I am going to let my membership lapse and join Harvard.

2 weeks???? if its not fixed by next weekend then im demanding a refund on the shooting time ive lost!!!!

they charge enough for a membership and the loeb is the most popular range there what the hell get some one i nthere to fix the damn thing or im going back to danvers and taking about 6 other members with me

Well the problem was that it is an on and off issue. They flip the breaker (that regular members don't have access too) and it works for a while and then stops. Took them a while to decide it was actually broken. I just went for pins and they have a sign saying pins is cancelled and the range is closed. They also posted a reminder that Fazio only allows .22.

well like i said they need to get their asses in gear and fix it...they were quick enough to put their hands in my pocket for the membership fee now they should cough the money up to fix the problem

Tru Dat bloodhound...that 285 bucks should mean fixing the range in a timley manner...2 weeks doesnt cut it for me...if harvard wasnt so far i would join i have been there to qualify for work and liked it alot...i might just join ne wayz

Just so everyone reading this knows the situation... it is as follows:
1.Yes the breaker had been tripping occassionally.
2.Friday the motor for the fan completely died, it was Sunday before we could get someone to look at it and determine the problem.
3.The motor is just not a stock "off the shelf" motor and needed to be ordered, which takes some time.
4. The MRA is run completely by volunteers, most of which also work during the week.
5. We all have a club to shoot at just 7 miles from dowtown Boston, 24 hour access for 99.9% of the year....all for $13.75/month if you pay dues of $110/year plus $50 for work time if you can't be bothered to help out around the club.
Massman

2 weeks???? if its not fixed by next weekend then im demanding a refund on the shooting time ive lost!!!!

they charge enough for a membership and the loeb is the most popular range there what the hell get some one i nthere to fix the damn thing or im going back to danvers and taking about 6 other members with me

blood hound,
As Massman pointed out - The Massachusetts Rifle Association is a volunteered based organization - the Directors at the club and everyone who does work at the club is a volunteer and volunteers their time because they love to shoot.

Mass Rifle is not a moneymaking operation, it is a non-profit organization - every penny that MRA receives goes towards paying the bills to run the facility and to improve the club.

The target carries are repaired by volunteers, the range is cleaned by volunteers, the trash is emptied by volunteers, the office is run by volunteers, the safety course is taught by volunteers, most everything done at the club is done on a volunteer basis - if it was not the membership fee would be a lot higher.

Our club needs members who actually care about the facility and treat it and talk about it with respect.

If you have a problem with the way things are done at the club I suggest you show up at the next Board of Directors meeting and voice your opinion. The BOD meets the first Monday night of every month.

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in Paul. MRA has the best indoor range anywhere in this state. I have been a member for a few years now and this is the first time that I have seen anything like this happen. Certainly it is upsetting, but this is OUR problem not THEIR problem. I am quite sure that when Paul showed up to shoot this weekend and found himself climbing on the roof instead that it was not the highlight of his day. A little patience is in order here.

No complaints here (well okay, yeah, I'm complaining 'cause I have nowhere to shoot, but I understand that shit happens and it takes time to fix).

What I'm wondering is, is there any way MRA can communicate this stuff to its members? If the fan is broken, the fan is broken, and I'll wait for however long it takes to fix the thing. But I was showing up to the range almost daily for about a week, playing with switches and trying to get the fan working, thinking that I was doing something wrong. Finally a sign goes up saying the fan is broken, and the MRA knows about it. So I show up a few more days in a row, just to read the sign that the range is still closed.

So now how do I know when it's fixed again? Do I just keep showing up, hoping that it's been fixed? That's an awful waste of time. Or do we have to rely on the hopes that Massman or someone else logs in and keeps us updated?

The MRA needs a better way of communicating with its members, be it an update on the website, email, phone hotline, or official forum.

I should clarify what I said, I don't have a problem with Loeb being closed, it happens and when a machine is on the fritz it is hard to identify whether it is actually in need of repairs. I have other unrelated reasons.

well like i said they need to get their asses in gear and fix it...they were quick enough to put their hands in my pocket for the membership fee now they should cough the money up to fix the problem
<rant>
I'm the Vice President of a gun club. Although my club is considerably smaller than Mass Rifle, I suspect that our experiences are similar.

Our club is a non-profit, volunteer organization. There are no paid employees. Not one. All work at the club is done by volunteers. At our club, the same 1/2 dozen people do 80% of the work. Maybe a dozen people do any work at all. The rest don't do a thing to help the club. They simply ride along on our backs. They take from the club, but they don't give back. If we continue to have more takers and less givers, then the club will go under.

The big "benefit" of being an elected officer is that I don't have to pay dues. However, I pay for postage and mailing materials out of my own pocket. In the unlikely event that doesn't add up to the dues I haven't paid, then I'm getting paid way, way below minimum wage. In the meantime, I've got a job, a life, I'm taking a class at night school, and somehow I have to get some sleep.

Mass Rifle may have more resources than our club. Nevertheless, I sincerely doubt they're rolling in dough, given how low gun club dues are. So when something breaks, we try to get a gun club member who is a tradesman to fix it at reduced cost. We have to do this, because our financial resources are limited.

First, we have to know that something broke. Communication being what it is, there may be some delay. Second, the club leadership has to agree on what to do about it. Third, one of us has to find the time to try to contact someone to fix it. And fourth, the gracious club member/tradesman has to find time in his schedule to do a low-paying job.

You know, I've seen a lot of folks who say they're quitting GOAL or NRA because they paid their dues (woopdeedoo, ~$50/year) and gun laws are still bad in MA. These same folks can't be bothered to call their legiscritters, or volunteer in elections. But they paid their $50 and they want their "customer service."

The same mentality appears at gun clubs. So pardon me if I'm not AT ALL sympathetic to folks who complain that they paid their $100 at the club and didn't get XYZ fast enough. Where are they when the range needs to be mowed? Where are they when it's time to stuff invoices? Where are they when it's time to do a range-rules class for new members? Where are they when it is time to hold a disciplinary meeting with a member who violated the range rules? Where are they when it is time to update the club mailing list? Where are they when it is time, once again, to debate about changing range rules? Where are they when the neighbors call to complain about the noise? Where are they when real estate issues come up? Where are they when the security fence needs to be repaired? Where are they when the lock on the range gate is frozen? Where are they when we have a Turkey Shoot open to the public and instructors are needed for each position on the line? Oh, yeah, I know where they are -- they paid their dues so all this is just customer service and they want it now.

The only reason Mass Rifle is still in existence "to put their hands in my pocket for the membership fee" is because gun owners have been working many hours every year for over 100 years on a volunteer basis to keep it running. What sort of thanks do they get for their selfless work? Complaints from whiners who don't lift a finger to help.
</rant>
The MRA needs a better way of communicating with its members, be it an update on the website, email, phone hotline, or official forum.
A great idea. At my club, the way we handle such great ideas is that the person who thought it up is now in charge. Get in touch with the leadership, tell them about your great idea, and tell them that you just volunteered to implement it. And if you're not willing to do so, then <expletive deleted>

Yes, this was a rather obnoxious rant. But try walking in the shoes of the club leadership before criticizing quite so freely. Given how the average club member does not lift a finger to help out, I have zero tolerance for such criticism.

Last edited:
Absolutely. As a board member of a club, we face ALL the same issues.

5% of the members do 100% of the work.

If there is something that needs doing at YOUR club, don't bitch about it. Do it!

M1911 - well put...you hit the nail on the head.

Here's an update/recap as of this morning.

Saturday while at the club to shoot I discovered that the Loeb Fan was not working so I contacted the head of Buildings and Grounds - after taking his direction I climbed on the roof and inspected the fanbelt/motor, reset switches and breakers and determined that I could not get the unit to work - so I posted a sign on the switch that the unit was broken and that MRA was notified - note that I am a Officer/Director of the club.

One club member did fill out an "incident report" to notify that the fan was not working - thanks to that member..

On Sunday the chairperson (volunteer) of Buildings and Grounds inspected the motor and determned that it was fried.

Another club member/volunteer (who is an electrician) has ordered the motor - the motor that is needed is not a stock motor and needs to be shipped in. The motor is also very heavy and will require a lift/crane to get it on the roof - this too takes time.

As soon as I (or another Director) gets an expected install date it'll be posted here.

Additionally - the web master has been notified that the Loeb fan is broken - however, they are on vaction and as soon as they get back from vacation updates will be posted to the website.

For now info will be via word of mouth and via forums..

Thanks for your patience...

Last edited:

+1

i wouldnt have been pissed off had i known ahead of time...all someone has to do is send out a mass email and then i dont waste my time getting all my gear ready and taking out a few eager shooters who end up being upset cuz they cant shoot and cant believe no one informed me about it...it takes about 2 seconds to shoot off an email saying "sorry guys loeb range is closed and under repair"...problem solved...then i can tell my guests sorry i cant take you until the range is fixed

i really hope MRA plans on buying an extra fan too so that if this happens again in the future i dont have to wait a month to shoot

maybe ranges should start charging higher dues then and hire a maintenance person that can fix most of the problems...i have no problem paying the extra money

i was a member at danvers for 3 years and never once could i not shoot because of a broken fan...or becuase the carriers were all busted as is usually the problem at mra...now your gonna say if i want something done i should go there and help out...fine...let me know...ill get rid of all the string on the carriers and replace it something more durable...hell ill even write yo ua check for it...moneys no object for me but when you pay your dues you expect to be able to use the range in a timely fashion

What sort of thanks do they get for their selfless work? Complaints from whiners who don't lift a finger to help.

whats the address of your range? ill mail a fruit basket there for ya as a sign of thanks

Or a "News" section that just tells all relevent info for the next week or so. I was looking all over the MRA page to check and see if the fans were fixed, and found no info one-way or the other about it.

I can understand stuff breaking. What isn't right is now this forum is my #1 news source for the range.

Thanks for all the info, tho, and keep us posted on the repairs.

-Weer'd Beard

I am a member of the MRA as i already stated. You guys say well go fix it...I would more than willing to fix the issues if i know how. When there are more than 1/2 the carriers down at one time thats an issue for me. If someone would show me how to properly fix them i would be happy to go there multiple times a week and make sure they are working. I am not going to try and fix things that i have no idea how to becuase i will just f*** it up more. I will be willing to lend some time and fix up the place but i dont hear anyone asking or posting in the lobby when they need stuff done...just a heads up

Here's the latest info I have:

Old motor was removed today.
New motor has been ordered and is being shipped.
There is a slight possibility that the motor will arrive on Friday - but not guaranteed.

Once I have more info I'll post it here.

As I noted earlier the webmaster is on Holiday so chances are the MRA website will not have current info..

Cheers.

All you folks have great ideas. Why don't you go to the next MRA board meeting and volunteer to help implement them?

It sounds as though they've only got a single webmaster, who is on vacation. So volunteer to work as a secondary webmaster to help out.

Rather than "they out to do x", try "we ought to do x and here's what I can do."
i really hope MRA plans on buying an extra fan too so that if this happens again in the future i dont have to wait a month to shoot
If their range is like ours, that fan has worked for many years before going wonky. If it was something that had to be replaced every 6 months, sure keep one in inventory. If something has to be replaced every 10 years and is expensive (which I suspect this one is), don't keep it in inventory.
maybe ranges should start charging higher dues then and hire a maintenance person that can fix most of the problems...i have no problem paying the extra money
You might not, but quite a few other members probably would. At my club we definitely see a correlation between dues increases and reduced renewals.

More importantly, most clubs don't have ANY employees. If you already have 10 employees, hiring an 11th isn't a huge marginal cost. If you don't have any employees, hiring the first employee is a HUGE marginal cost. Now you have to worry about workman's comp, payroll taxes, payroll, timesheets, OSHA, etc. It's a huge cost, far above the actual payroll costs, and a huge headache with large liabilities.

Update as of 1:30pm 2/23/07.

I stopped by the club and the motor has not yet arrived.
Looking more and more like a Monday install.
Massman is going to stop by the club after work and will update us a bit later today.
As soon as I get an update I'll try to post..

This all sounds so familar. I'm and officer and a director of a southern NH club. The same few are the ones that show up to do all the interior and exterior work. We require just five hours of work time to avoid paying the Work Fees. We have members that feel that their $75.00 per year should entitle them to all the shooting they desire but also should exempt them from any work at all. Other members put in hours that number in the hundreds and ask for nothing.

A gun club barely breaks even at the end of the year. But members demand facilities that are always up and running and look forward to constant improvements.

Last week at our Memebers Meeting we swear in new members. All new memebers are required to attend a orientation which runs about an hour and is held before the meeting. Two members felt that they shouldn't have to attend but were upset when they were denied full memebership until they complete the requirement. It's no wonder that finding Directors and Officers for club's is almost an impossible task.

Back
Top Bottom