MRA Loeb Range Fan

Update as of 5:00pm 2/23/07.

Motor did not arrive at the supply house today.

Motor was shipped from Nashville via Common Carrier.
Motor is now expected to arrive on Monday (time unknown) - safe bet would be to assume if all goes well the Loeb will be up and running sometime on Tuesday -

Please note that unfortunately the arrival of the motor is out of MRA's hands. Volunteers were at the club this afternoon ready to assist with the install -
Hopefully this will all come together early next week.

The Fazio Range (22lr standard) remains open.

I'll update as more info comes in.

Thanks PMD for the update!
I did stop by MRA after work today, to find out basically the same info. Volunteers will be working hard to get the range back up and running hopefully early next week.

Thanks to PMD and all the volunteers who are helping the fan. Although I wasn't overjoyed when I got there and saw the big sign saying LOEB RANGE CLOSED, in my view it is completely understandable that a club run by volunteers will, every few years, have a period of time where vital equipment is down. This sort of thing happens, and it just happened to be now. Just stop being girly men and use the Pope range until it's fixed, like many including myself have done, or the Summa range.

If this sort of thing happened, let's say, at American Firearms School where I also often shoot (although much less now that I'm at MRA), I would be more annoyed since they are for-profit and have a paid staff, but I'm willing to give a 132 year old club a break.

Does anyone know if the motor arrived today? Not that I’m anxious or anything, but I think my boss is getting suspicious of me taking mysterious 2 hour lunches and returning smelling like gun powder and wearing a shiteating grin.

Update Tuesday 2/27/07 8:00am.

Just got a call from Paul F.
The fan has been repaired and is up and running!

Thanks to all the guys at MRA who helped out with this project.

Now go to MRA and shoot....

Paul

Yeah, I had two new guns to shoot but didn't want to take them outside until i had made sure they were shooting straight enough.

I'm supposed to be doing tax returns tonight... yeah, fat chance of that happening! There are 5 small voices calling from my gun safe. They're saying, "Come play with us, we feel neglected!"

I have been following this thread with great interest as I am a long time shooter, gun club member, and, specifically, an MRA member. Now I know the range is fixed and I can shoot again! I did, however make three or four trips to the range, only to find it closed.

I have always found the equipment at MRA's Loeb range to be well maintained and surprisingly reliable, considering its rather fragile construction. The fan was a different problem as it was a major project with parts that had to be obtained from remote sources. All in all, I think the problem was solved in rather short order. Those who disagree are free to offer their services to solve the next equipment failure. You are paid nothing for your efforts and soundly criticized if you can't solve the problem ASAP.

The only valid complaint I see is a lack of communication. It would seem to me that this web site has cured the problem. Now we know where to obtain information on our local clubs; I hope the clubs will take advantage of this venue to alert their members of potential problems.

If people would stop shoot at the strings maybe the target carriers wouldn't be down.

You have to place your target lower on the cardboard so that the path of the bullet and the track for the carrier never meet.

is there any way we can replace the strings with something more durable? like piano wire or something of that nature??? id be willing to help in the set up if its possible

strings are cheap and easy to replace. Piano wire would not be, and would not survive the impact of a .40 or a .308 any more than the string.

Many range target carrier systems solve this by protecting the pulley system within the track. But that's expensive and would require a complete rework of the system.

I've never seen Loeb so full that someone had to wait, so I'm not personally concerned. Of course, I do use Loeb at weird hours.

vellnueve,

If I have the string, how is the replacement procedure?
As to seeing Loeb full, just stop by on a Sat. Yesterday, I wanted to do some 25 yd shooting, but because all functionin stands were full, I went to 50 yard range.

vellnueve,

If I have the string, how is the replacement procedure?
As to seeing Loeb full, just stop by on a Sat. Yesterday, I wanted to do some 25 yd shooting, but because all functionin stands were full, I went to 50 yard range.

First, call a cease fire. Failure to do this is grounds for death.

Second, take your replacement string and use it to patch the spot where the current string is broken. Make sure that there is enough tension in the string to support the target carrier, and make sure you triple or quadruple the knots so that it won't just slip and fall off.

vellneuve maybe i have a better idea than string then

it seems to me that sometimes due to the large knots or fraying of the string alot of carriers bump along or stutter and i know ive personally lost a few targets down range due to this

what about monofilament fishing line...say 50lb test which may be overdoing it but in my mind it seems like it may be a good idea...ive never really inspected the carriers enough to know if it will work or not but figured id throw it out there...if you think itll work let me know...ill go out and buy some spools and have someone show me how to fix em and redo all the carriers

I think the fishing line would be more prone to breakage than the string by far.

Wire, fishing line and other materials have been tried - the string/twine actually seems to work the best and is the easiest to repair.

As vellnueve noted the best solution would be not to shoot the string [smile]

You guys should do what my club does, a 3/4 thick steel rod holds your target or cardboard (staple target to cardboard). Makes a hell of a sound if you hit the rod and I have seen a bullet deflect straight down, cut the target in half and go flatten itself on the concrete floor.[shocked]

Back
Top Bottom