Moving to Mass with an AR

Until a lawyer responds with case-law verdicts of successful prosecutions of "new residents", I contend a legal loophole exists. OF COURSE the State would 'want' you to believe it doesn't. Maura Healy has you believing a LOT of things if you try read between her lines. Ex Post Facto prosecutions are illegal and UnConstitutional - and that means for the States and their "felony charges". Your ability to assert your rights falls within your means to fund legal representation. If you are afraid of the State, then by all means - sell ALL of your guns, ammo and magazines before moving to MA and then you won't have to worry about 'them' coming after you.
I think I've given all of maybe one neg rep, ever, but you're doubling down on stupid.

Go ask an actual lawyer whether what you're talking about - a legal owner moving to a place where purchase and possession illegal while retaining possession - meets the standard of ex post facto. You're using words which don't mean what you think they mean and doing so in a way that, if someone is dumb enough to listen to you, could end with them being prosecuted.

Welcome to Mass. You would think folks here would be your friends and eveyone would coelesce, but nothing could be further from the truth. Posts like this devolve into pissing competitions versus being attempts to welcome folks and be comforting.
[sad2] Sorry. There's a lot I can tolerate or shrug off, but I consider precision in legal advice, even if obtained from the Internet from people who aren't lawyers, to be essential. As far as I'm concerned, one of the least friendly things I could do would be to ignore blatantly bad advice to a fellow gun owner attempting to ascertain the legality of a situation.

OP - Zeke - I hope you won't take the arguing too badly. It happens, and it's the Internet, where tone missing and intentions are muddied. If and when you end up here, make a point of finding out whether anyone here is local to you. I'm sure you'd find many willing to show you around a club and help get you set up.

Last edited:
Until a lawyer responds with case-law verdicts of successful prosecutions of "new residents", I contend a legal loophole exists. OF COURSE the State would 'want' you to believe it doesn't. Maura Healy has you believing a LOT of things if you try read between her lines. Ex Post Facto prosecutions are illegal and UnConstitutional - and that means for the States and their "felony charges". Your ability to assert your rights falls within your means to fund legal representation. If you are afraid of the State, then by all means - sell ALL of your guns, ammo and magazines before moving to MA and then you won't have to worry about 'them' coming after you.

Well IANAL but do make a study of MA gun laws.

Why don't you give a read to Comm v. Cornelius 78 Mass App Ct 413 (2010) before spouting off nonsense.

There are numerous issues in that case, but the judge correctly points out that you can not move into MA with ANY large capacity guns/mags regardless of when they were made . . . due to a conflict between two separate laws.
S. 129C(j) exemption – 60 days, BUT C. 269 S. 10(m) prohibits possession of large cap guns/mags unless you already possess a MA LTC with no exemption for moving in!

Even if not convicted, it will cost someone dearly to be prosecuted . . . between legal fees, being under indictment, losing one's job, etc. A win is really NOT a win in our legal system.

Well IANAL but do make a study of MA gun laws.

Why don't you give a read to Comm v. Cornelius 78 Mass App Ct 413 (2010) before spouting off nonsense.

There are numerous issues in that case, but the judge correctly points out that you can not move into MA with ANY large capacity guns/mags regardless of when they were made . . . due to a conflict between two separate laws.
S. 129C(j) exemption – 60 days, BUT C. 269 S. 10(m) prohibits possession of large cap guns/mags unless you already possess a MA LTC with no exemption for moving in!

Even if not convicted, it will cost someone dearly to be prosecuted . . . between legal fees, being under indictment, losing one's job, etc. A win is really NOT a win in our legal system.

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom