Moving to Mass with an AR

I've searched the threads as well as I can. I know the limitations on current residents but.....can someone moving into Massachusetts from America bring their Modern Sporting Rifles with them?(purchased either before or after the 'reinterpretation')

I've searched the threads as well as I can. I know the limitations on current residents but.....can someone moving into Massachusetts from America bring their Modern Sporting Rifles with them?(purchased either before or after the 'reinterpretation')

Pin the stock, replace any flash suppressors with compensators and pin and weld them, grind off your bayonet lugs, and ditch your free state mags before entering the PRM.

Otherwise, follow the steps outlined by GOAL and go on with your life: http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/newresidentinfo.html

You aren't required to file a FA10 moving into the state. Unless you do something stupid there's no way for the state to know you own one and the AGs bullshit only applies to sales and transfers via twisting CMR, not posession.

This very much this, goes tenfold if you were eying a Glock. If you have a list of must buy handguns get them now. Or if you can, try to move to a border town in NH and just commute.

the positive of this is that you can buy Glocks, etc. The drawback is carrying in MA becomes an annual cluster-fvck to get an LTC

Dude, seriously...turn that moving van around and go back ;-)

Those of us who were born here...well that's one thing. *Choosing* to come here as a gun guy....well that's just plain crazy.

This very much this, goes tenfold if you were eying a Glock. If you have a list of must buy handguns get them now. Or if you can, try to move to a border town in NH and just commute.

Buy all the guns you can afford before you move here. Once your here all the lists will limit your buying

I must have missed that memo when I bought my CZ's, Dan Wesson 1911, and a Coonan 1911 while in MA...

List is meaningless IMO.

Last edited:
Be sure to shop around for friendly police chiefs. Invetigate where you want to live and the licensing requirements as they are completely arbitrary. Call the police department and ask specific questions to the lisencing people to ascertain how often they issue restricted and unrestricted LTC's. I did this and openly shopped around before settling in the gun friendly I live in (Malden). You can forget possesing an AR or any other semi auto rifle in Boston proper, and the closer to Boston the more horrific the requirements and timetable.

This is a little dated, but you can use this as a kind of guideline. Some towns have improved like Chelsea since people can now challenge denials in court. Places like Newton or Woburn are completely f'd.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...uide-to-gun-rights-in-your-Massachusetts-town

As mentioned above, you will need to 'neuter' your AR's w/ pinned & welded comp rather than flash suppressor, pinned stock if adjustable, and get rid of post '94 mags over 10 rounds. If you have your eye on any Colt 1911's or Glocks, buy before you move to Mass. Yes, you can get them here but it's a PITA and unless you are very patient you will pay a premium.

Work made it worthwhile to move here a few years ago. I'm shooting a lot more, competing in a few matches, and generally having a great time airing out my 2A rights. I've built all the AR's I need and am able to find Glocks I want despite the challenges. No, I won't be retiring here but I'll be having a damn good time until I do. If you have good reason to move here, don't let the whiners discourage you.

Make sure you do know what you are getting into regarding money: high property tax, higher cost of utilities and fuel, higher cost for vehicle tax & registration, tolls, real estate fees / taxes when buying or selling, taxes on the dog, etc. etc. No tax on food, but IMO the prices are high enough that we're paying them anyway. There's a lot of little costs that will really add up.

There's nothing that could make me move to MA.
I'm born and raised and wife won't leave because of aging parents.
I would not even come here for a job.
Got to be plenty of other places to go.

here's the list of what to buy before you move here:
http://fsguns.com/fsg_information.html

Note: it's not exhaustive, but includes the big stuff. Two notable exceptions: Ruger LCP and LCP II. Neither is on the approved list and I always see people looking to buy them.

But honestly, Glocks probably offer the best ROI in this state.

Depends on scarcity. FNX 45's can be had at retail or less, glocks can be had at reasonable prices depedning on the iteration snd luck, maybe like even money or $100 or so over free state pricing, but when you get into exotics, like certain 1911's or FNH 5x7 or some unique newer compact pistols, markups can several hundred. You can find most anything in the secondary market, but it will take patience and much more cash than it would it your current dispostion.

Back
Top Bottom