Moving to Mass with an AR

Depends on scarcity. FNX 45's can be had at retail or less, glocks can be had at reasonable prices depedning on the iteration snd luck, maybe like even money or $100 or so over free state pricing, but when you get into exotics, like certain 1911's or FNH 5x7 or some unique newer compact pistols, markups can several hundred. You can find most anything in the secondary market, but it will take patience and much more cash than it would it your current dispostion.

FNX 45's are on the list and easy to find now, btw. Even the tactical models.

I've searched the threads as well as I can. I know the limitations on current residents but.....can someone moving into Massachusetts from America bring their Modern Sporting Rifles with them?(purchased either before or after the 'reinterpretation')
Looks like you've gotten no actual answer so far, so...

It's not a limitation on current residents, it's a reinterpretation of the word "copy" in the statute. If you bring anything that shares one or more of various dimensions or parts with any of the named rifles, in her opinion, you're breaking the law. So very strictly, you risk prosecution. There is no exemption, and despite her statement regarding not prosecuting existing owners, she could still decide to in the future, and any other official able to bring charges still could.

I have a problem with conforming to the post 7/20 Mass AWB. Every AR is now illegal in this state. Configuration (Thank you MSF) doesn't matter really. If the cops are inspecting your AR for AWB violations you have a shitload of bigger problems to worry about. Why comply with an unjust law now. The AG wants us to piss our pants about her interpretation. She wins when we cower. Disregard, disobey and dare her to prosecute. Sit in the back of the bus.

Last edited:
Look up the user RockMaple aka Jeff Bussel. He is an attorney and can assist with answering questions like this. He also does NFA trusts.

i was under the impression that with the exception of sound suppressors and standard high cap mags not labeled "preban", anything you move in with was your personal property. While the state wants you to register your arms, you are under no obligation to do so. Speak to him about that as well. I am not a lawyer and am offering an opinion here, not legal advice.

As mentioned above, you will need to 'neuter' your AR's w/ pinned & welded comp rather than flash suppressor, pinned stock if adjustable, and get rid of post '94 mags over 10 rounds. If you have your eye on any Colt 1911's or Glocks, buy before you move to Mass. Yes, you can get them here but it's a PITA and unless you are very patient you will pay a premium.

Work made it worthwhile to move here a few years ago. I'm shooting a lot more, competing in a few matches, and generally having a great time airing out my 2A rights. I've built all the AR's I need and am able to find Glocks I want despite the challenges. No, I won't be retiring here but I'll be having a damn good time until I do. If you have good reason to move here, don't let the whiners discourage you.

Make sure you do know what you are getting into regarding money: high property tax, higher cost of utilities and fuel, higher cost for vehicle tax & registration, tolls, real estate fees / taxes when buying or selling, taxes on the dog, etc. etc. No tax on food, but IMO the prices are high enough that we're paying them anyway. There's a lot of little costs that will really add up.

I don't see any legal provisions that require new residents to surrender/sell property that is perfectly-legal to own in the state they're moving from - if you legally possess high-capacity magazines, I see no state law that requires new residents to sell them prior to entering MA. Same law applies to guns not on the AG's "list", or post-ban ARs. You DO NOT have to sell these items prior to moving, so why should anyone have to sell their mags???

To the OP - buy Everything you want, and a LOT of stuff others may want (to sell in-state) before you get here. Consider the MASS List, and buy whatever is NOT on the list. Buy anything on the AWB list.

Pin the stock, replace any flash suppressors with compensators and pin and weld them, grind off your bayonet lugs, and ditch your free state mags before entering the PRM.
Why? Every post-94 AR in MA makes you a felon in waiting so why bother with that cosmetic stuff?

You DO NOT have to sell these items prior to moving, so why should anyone have to sell their mags???

Because it's a felony to own/possess postban "high cap" mags maybe?.....Of course people can choose whether or not to take the risk.....

I don't see any legal provisions that require new residents to surrender/sell property that is perfectly-legal to own in the state they're moving from - if you legally possess high-capacity magazines, I see no state law that requires new residents to sell them prior to entering MA. Same law applies to guns not on the AG's "list", or post-ban ARs. You DO NOT have to sell these items prior to moving, so why should anyone have to sell their mags???

Possession of an off-list handgun = legal
Possession of a postban >10rd mag = not legal

The "list" laws relate to what dealers can sell. The AWB laws are about sale AND ownership, even before the AG creativity last July.

OP here
Thank you MetalgodZ and everyone else for your replies. I must have a reading comprehension problem as I'm still pretty confused. Seems like bringing in an AR is illegal but no one cares because the Wicked Witch promises not to prosecute. Doesn't inspire confidence in making a decision

Possession of an off-list handgun = legal
Possession of a postban >10rd mag = not legal

The "list" laws relate to what dealers can sell. The AWB laws are about sale AND ownership, even before the AG creativity last July.

What denotes a POST-ban magazine? Are they really dated?

The answer is "NO".....most-all pre-ban and post-ban magazines are completely indistinguishable. The burden-of-proof is on the State to PROVE that a magazine is pre-ban vs. post-ban. What are they going to do, confiscate his property and carbon-date it?

OP here
Thank you MetalgodZ and everyone else for your replies. I must have a reading comprehension problem as I'm still pretty confused. Seems like bringing in an AR is illegal but no one cares because the Wicked Witch promises not to prosecute. Doesn't inspire confidence in making a decision

Used to be that the state laws were in line with the old 1994 federal AWB. Something made after 1994 would have to be missing the evil features. Starting last July the AG ruled that any gun related to something mentioned in the AWB was illegal, regardless of configuration, but she would decline to prosecute over guns owned by private parties before July because she was just that nice.

What denotes a POST-ban magazine? Are they really dated?

The answer is "NO".....most-all pre-ban and post-ban magazines are completely indistinguishable. The burden-of-proof is on the State to PROVE that a magazine is pre-ban vs. post-ban. What are they going to do, confiscate his property and carbon-date it?

I like your spirit but you're not correct.

A large number, perhaps majority, of common mag types, even if they're undated, can be reasonably identified as pre vs post ban. There are a lot of exceptions, like Mini-14 mags, but when you're talking AR or Glock or whatever you can ID a stock preban most of the time.

OP here
By the letter of the law, post-1994 ARs need to have one or zero evil features to be compliant with the Assault Weapons Ban. Her Majesty last year declared that any and all post-1994 ARs, regardless of features present or missing, are NOT in compliance with the AWB. She has promised not to prosecute anyone that already had one but also said that this is subject to change in the future.

Here's when your personal risk tolerance rears its head. Your options are:
1) Stick with pre-94 ARs or none at all and be 100% legal.
2) Get a post-94 but pre-bitch AR and hope she doesn't decide to go after you despite her earlier promises.
3) Understand that owning any AR whatsoever is a gray area at best in this state, say F it, and get whatever you want.

I don't understand why you would care about evil features at this point because the AG already told us that ANY evil rifle is against the AWB

I like your spirit but you're not correct.

A large number, perhaps majority, of common mag types, even if they're undated, can be reasonably identified as pre vs post ban. There are a lot of exceptions, like Mini-14 mags, but when you're talking AR or Glock or whatever you can ID a stock preban most of the time.

In any prosecution, where such property is obtained prior to entering MA, the defendant is not required to incriminate himself by furnishing information related to what he bought, and when, related to a MA law that did NOT apply to the defendant when not a resident. If asked, the standard answer is "I don't know".....this situation reeks of Ex Post Facto, and have yet to hear anyone getting jammed-up over a legal purchase made when NOT a resident, then moving to MA.

I'm always torn on how to respond to these threads:

1) Try to scare OP into not moving to MA in favor of some place where their rights won't be trampled.

2) Welcome them with open arms and guide them through the bullshit to help keep them out of trouble and then there's one more freedom-loving American to help try to defeat more draconian laws.

Yeah I know, LOL on that second one but that's what I do. Welcome, OP. This state definitely sucks for gun owners but there are still a lot of us here and a good "support group".

In any prosecution, where such property is obtained prior to entering MA, the defendant is not required to incriminate himself by furnishing information related to what he bought, and when, related to a MA law that did NOT apply to the defendant when not a resident. If asked, the standard answer is "I don't know".....this situation reeks of Ex Post Facto, and have yet to hear anyone getting jammed-up over a legal purchase made when NOT a resident, then moving to MA.

The issue is owning the mag, not where you bought it. They're not gonna ask you where you bought your Pmags.

The issue is owning the mag, not where you bought it. They're not gonna ask you where you bought your Pmags.

MichaelJames' point of view actually seems logical... For example, someone unaware of the AWB could be moving into MA in the year 2100 and you'd still haven to know whether a magazine was made in 1993 or 1994.

"WHEN" will also, legally, be considered - if the mag was purchased before the relocation to MA, and the purchase/ownership was perfectly legal at that period, the State of MA cannot make you a criminal when you move to MA and bring your legally-owned property with you. I see no legislation closing this loophole, as such a closure would be unconstitutional.

"WHEN" will also, legally, be considered - if the mag was purchased before the relocation to MA, and the purchase/ownership was perfectly legal at that period, the State of MA cannot make you a criminal when you move to MA and bring your legally-owned property with you. I see no legislation closing this loophole, as such a closure would be unconstitutional.

You have way too much faith in the state of MA being on your side and not trying to jam you up.

Possession of post ban mags is a felony, it's that simple. When and when they were acquired is irrelevant. All hi-cap mags made during the federal ban were marked. Many still are or they are made by a company that didn't exist prior to 1994. You get caught with 30 pmags in MA and that is absolutely a felony. Just depends if they charge you for it.

I provided a "letter of the law in the context of the letter of Martha's Bullshit" response - Possession risks prosecution. Decide how much risk you want to assume.

You're providing false, dangerous advice. Even if it was true, you would still be risking being prosecuted. Don't give answers to legal questions that represent what you'd like rather than what is.

I provided a "letter of the law in the context of the letter of Martha's Bullshit" response - Possession risks prosecution. Decide how much risk you want to assume.

You're providing false, dangerous advice. Even if it was true, you would still be risking being prosecuted. Don't give answers to legal questions that represent what you'd like rather than what is.

+1

Until a lawyer responds with case-law verdicts of successful prosecutions of "new residents", I contend a legal loophole exists. OF COURSE the State would 'want' you to believe it doesn't. Maura Healy has you believing a LOT of things if you try read between her lines. Ex Post Facto prosecutions are illegal and UnConstitutional - and that means for the States and their "felony charges". Your ability to assert your rights falls within your means to fund legal representation. If you are afraid of the State, then by all means - sell ALL of your guns, ammo and magazines before moving to MA and then you won't have to worry about 'them' coming after you.

So much fail here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Mass. You would think folks here would be your friends and eveyone would coelesce, but nothing could be further from the truth. Posts like this devolve into pissing competitions versus being attempts to welcome folks and be comforting.

Back
Top Bottom