Moving to Boston from VA with handgun

I currently reside in VA and am moving into the city of Boston next week (East Boston to be exact... I am originally from Boston and left in 2004, but am returning for work and family reasons..) At least in the short term, living somewhere other than the city of Boston is not going to be an option, so I need some input on the reasearch I've done through this forum and the various MA state websites.

I currently own a Springfield XD 40. This handgun is not on the "approved" MA list, but as I understand it, the list does not apply to personal transfers or residents moving into MA with previously owned firearms? I'm ditching my 12 round mags and will only possess 10 round mags when I move.

I believe that I have 60 days to acquire the proper licenses for my firearm, which in this case would be an LTC-A. Until I do so, I can only bring the firearm into MA at the time of my move, and the firearm must stay at the residence until I am licensed. I already have a LTC-002 Safety Course Completion certificate (approved by the MA state police). Boston requires membership in a gun club before applying for an LTC, so I am set up to do that the week I move in also. With that, I should be able to walk into Boston HQ an apply for an LTC.

The questions 2 I have are:

1) Should I also note on the application, under REASON, (in addition to ALP) that I am a new resident and currently own a handgun that falls under an LTC-A license class? Knowing that this is Boston we're talking about and the reality that at best I'm looking at a Sport/Target only restriction, my thought is that this info on the application will help avoid getting at LTC-B issued instead of an LTC-A.

2) If the 60 days expire and I have not received an LTC-A from Boston HQ, what am I able to do with my firearm? Could I legally transfer it to an LTC-A holder, or at least have an LTC-A holder maintain possession of my firearm while I either move to a green town or until the license goes through (if it takes longer than 60 days for them to process?)

I know Boston has some separate laws regarding gun possession, so any other information will be helpful. Thanks in advance - the information I searched for on this forum has been really helpful in getting me informed to this point.

Last edited:
I currently reside in VA and am moving into the city of Boston next week (East Boston to be exact... I am originally from Boston and left in 2004, but am returning for work and family reasons..) At least in the short term, living somewhere other than the city of Boston is not going to be an option, so I need some input on the reasearch I've done through this forum and the various MA state websites. I currently own a Springfield XD 40. This handgun is not on the "approved" MA list, but as I understand it, the list does not apply to personal transfers or residents moving into MA with previously owned firearms? I'm ditching my 12 round mags and will only possess 10 round mags when I move. I believe that I have 60 days to acquire the proper licenses for my firearm, which in this case would be an LTC-A. Until I do so, I can only bring the firearm into MA at the time of my move, and the firearm must stay at the residence until I am licensed. I already have a LTC-002 Safety Course Completion certificate (approved by the MA state police). Boston requires membership in a gun club before applying for an LTC, so I am set up to do that the week I move in also. With that, I should be able to walk into Boston HQ an apply for an LTC. The questions 2 I have are: 1) Should I also note on the application, under REASON, (in addition to ALP) that I am a new resident and currently own a handgun that falls under an LTC-A license class? Knowing that this is Boston we're talking about and the reality that at best I'm looking at a Sport/Target only restriction, my thought is that this info on the application will help avoid getting at LTC-B issued instead of an LTC-A. 2) If the 60 days expire and I have not received an LTC-A from Boston HQ, what am I able to do with my firearm? Could I legally transfer it to an LTC-A holder, or at least have an LTC-A holder maintain possession of my firearm while I either move to a green town or until the license goes through (if it takes longer than 60 days for them to process?) I know Boston has some separate laws regarding gun possession, so any other information will be helpful. Thanks in advance - the information I searched for on this forum has been really helpful in getting me informed to this point.

If I were you I'd leave the pistol in Va. with a FFL dealer then pick it up after you get your LTC here in Mass. Or I sure say, if you get the license. The truth is there's no way to know for sure, especially in the city of Boston where it can take alot longer than 60 days to get a LTC. You could either get a LTC A or B, or nothing at all. Here in Mass. You get what the chief gives you, it doesn't matter what type of gun you already own A friend of mine from Lynn moved to Rowley with a claas A and a Glock, now he has a class B and no Glock. Well whatever you decide to do. Good luck

If I were you I'd leave the pistol in Va. with a FFL dealer then pick it up after you get your LTC here in Mass.
Only if you feel like filing an FA-10 on your gun. Move up here WITH it. I'd say check the "getting an LTC in Boston" thread; I don't know what they issue - Bs or As - offhand.

From what I've read on this board and from my own experience of applying for a license in Boston, you shouldn't have a problem getting a LTC-A - but it will almost certainly be a restricted license unless you are a business owner that handles cash deposits (according to the officer who processed my app). It took four weeks from the interview and Moon Island range test (done on a Wednesday and Friday, respectively) to get my license in hand.
Could you move with your gun, apply for the license, and then if the 60 day period is coming to an end, give it to a licensed friend to store for you?

EDIT: Sorry, I see that you asked the same question that I posed. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to that one...

Last edited:
The only thing I can't find anywhere is whether or not I can leave it with an LTC-A holder in MA while I get my license (I know a few). Can they legally hold onto the firearm for me while I get my license?

Last edited:
The only thing I can't find anywhere is whether or not I can leave it with an LTC-A holder in MA while I get my license (I know a few). Can they legally hold onto the firearm for me while I get my license, or if Boston decides to deny me?

YES. This is perfectly legal.

Thats the same question I've had a hard time finding an answer to. I have no problem getting the gun to Boston from VA - I'd actually prefer to bring it in with me when I move so I don't need to fill out any transfer forms. I can't leave it with an FFL in VA, because it is not an "approved" MA handgun (Springfield Arms are not approved).

The only thing I can't find anywhere is whether or not I can leave it with an LTC-A holder in MA while I get my license (I know a few). Can they legally hold onto the firearm for me while I get my license, or if Boston decides to deny me? Once I move to a green town in the next year, I can take possession back -- I just don't know if an LTC-A holder can legally possess my gun. I can't "transfer" it to an LTC-A holder, because I need a license to do so, so they would just need to maintain possession of it... but is that doable under MA law?

Deja Vu, this question was asked within the past day or two . . . sadly too many jump in with very bad info to only confuse the people asking the questions.

The OP nailed it . . . he either brings the gun with him or loses it if an FFL is involved as it is NOT MA compliant and no MA FFL can legally transfer it to him.

Just keep it locked up at home until you get the LTC-A. Boston will issue LTC-A with restrictions and they seem to be faster these days than many "good" suburban towns!

Yes, it is perfectly legal for a MA LTC-A holder to hold guns for anyone temporarily. Only exception is if a Ch. 209A RO is issued . . . not relevant here.

Now some people might tell you to think long and hard about any other non-Mass compliant guns you think you might ever like to own. And purchase them now in Virginia before you move here.

Now some people might tell you to think long and hard about any other non-Mass compliant guns you think you might ever like to own. And purchase them now in Virginia before you move here.

Agreed. Chances are you won't get them heree, or if you can, they'll cost double what you'd pay down there.

As far as you moving back...you have my sympathies dear.

Welcome to the Forum, and welcome back to Mass...

Nothing to add to the notes above re: what to do after 60 days pass, so my advice (having gone through the Boston process when I moved here) is to be over prepared in your effort to beat the 60-day clock.

You should be able to get the LTC-A restricted in 4-6 weeks after passing the Moon Island test, but you can't test until you apply. It seems like you have the class done, but you need to also get the normal residency stuff set up as well, because to apply you need to prove residency. Many of the acceptable/necessary forms of proof (MA driver's license with your current address, utility bill, cable bill etc) take time to get, and this eats into your 60-day window. You might need to be creative by bringing your lease and/or the little receipt that you get when they install your cable (make sure that you get a legible copy).

Also, not sure when you're moving, but August is vacation season - make sure to call ahead to the BPD licensing department as the licensing officers / range officers take time off, and you'd hate to get hung up on that form of technicality.

Hope that this is helpful, even if slightly off topic.

I hope you're filling out the Boston application as it's different from the standard one (shorter). If not, you can fill it out there while you wait. Also make sure you have all your documentation. They'll ask for two proofs of residency (utility bills not including Comcast, or bank statements), copy of BC, two photo IDs, and some other stuff. However, on the bright side, it seems like they've been getting licenses out in 3 weeks.

They won't give you a B if you ask for an A. However, don't tell them that you already have the pistol.

Thanks. Does anyone know if a drivers license AND vehicle registration are enough for the 2 forms of address verification? I can't find the Boston-specific application documentation criteria anywhere.

Nevermind -- just called up the BPD. They said it has to be either 2 utility bills, or a letter from the Boston Elections Department to prove residency.....

Last edited:
Nevermind -- just called up the BPD. They said it has to be either 2 utility bills, or a letter from the Boston Collections Department to prove residency.....

You can also go down to city hall and register to vote, and then have them give you a letter of residency. It takes a $4 MO and about 20 minutes for them to process everything and print up your letter.

Back
Top Bottom