Most efficient short term food...

If we're only talking 3-4 days or even a week, let's be real. You really don't need any food to survive, and not that much to be comfortable. Carry whatever floats your boat and is easy enough to carry.

Ken

KM,

Try going a week without eating. While you can survive, you will be significantly impaired while doing so. Memory and critical thinking are typically affected between 12 and 24 hours without food. The body rapidly enters survival mode, inducing lethargy to conserve what energy sources are stored within the body.

A high level of fluid intake will stave off hunger pains, but not the bodies survival reactions. You're best to have a reasonable about of food - I believe it's about 1000-1200 calories per day to keep the metabolism up and the head clear.

Let's not forget cannibalism. When the chips are down, you get protein from wherever it can be found.

And search out the juicy ones ahead of time....[laugh]

I think in terms of hurricane emergency and would prefer things I could "crack open" and eat on the spot rather than planning to cook anything. Peanut Butter sounds good and anything with pop open cans that I could just dip in and eat.

Last edited:
I believe this is what you are looking for; http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FM R360_A_name_E_MAINSTAY™ 3,600 Calorie Food Bar

3600 calories per pouch divided into 9 400 calorie portions for 3 days worth of food. And it don't taste too bad either. I usually have one for breakfast when I'm in a hurry. And 3 days worth of survival food is not bad for $6.

1200 calories per day? You will survive on that but not much more. I'm 5'3" 130 lbs and I burn 2000 calories per day just doing normal stuff. At 1200 calories per day I would loose almost a pound a week and I would have no extra energy for performing any tasks in a SHTF scenario. Plus I'd be a major bitch!

1200 calories per day? You will survive on that but not much more. I'm 5'3" 130 lbs and I burn 2000 calories per day just doing normal stuff. At 1200 calories per day I would loose almost a pound a week and I would have no extra energy for performing any tasks in a SHTF scenario. Plus I'd be a major bitch!

Take two. They're small. [wink]

Let's not forget cannibalism. When the chips are down, you get protein from wherever it can be found.

Look. I tell you what. Those who want to can eat Johnson. And you, sir, can have my leg. And we make some stock from the Captain, and then we'll have Johnson cold for supper.

the best defence against cannabalism is to eat meat,,, meat eaters taste rancid,,,, vegitarians however might be tasty enough :)

Don't know if it's much of a defense. By the time I realize you taste rancid ... well, you know. Might be considered a form of revenge, though.

Back
Top Bottom