Mossberg shotguns?

Hey, I'm in the market for a new (actually my first) shotgun. I was leaning towards the Remington 870 express combo (comes with the smooth barrel and a fully rifled barrel). However I was at Dick's yesterday and they had some Mossberg's on sale. I don't know much about Mossberg shotguns and was looking for some input... are they as well made as the Remingtons? Would you buy one?

Hey, I'm in the market for a new (actually my first) shotgun. I was leaning towards the Remington 870 express combo (comes with the smooth barrel and a fully rifled barrel). However I was at Dick's yesterday and they had some Mossberg's on sale. I don't know much about Mossberg shotguns and was looking for some input... are they as well made as the Remingtons? Would you buy one?

I was in Dick's Saturday morning looking at those Mossbergs - I'm in the market for a little cha-ching action... in addition to my dog, working the action on a shotgun produces a sweet sound that's universally recognized, and a GREat deterant.

I have lots of experience from my military days with both. And I like them both. I don't think you can go wrong with an 870 or a 500. IMO

I'd stay away from that Mossberg they have on sale with the special thumb grip, might be a saftey issue waiting to happen with that rig.

If they have them, (we have one in stock right now in Pittsfield), by all means get the Mossberg 500 Combo! It comes with much more accessories than the Remington at nearly half the cost. It's a stable and reliable shotgun and the customer response to these packages, (only available at Dicks) was stellar....here's what it comes with:

• Mossberg 500 Shotgun
  • 26" Vent Rib Ported Field Barrel
  • 3 Chokes
  • 24" Ported Rifled Cantilevered Slug Barrel
  • 2.5x Shotgun Scope, (In pittsfield anyway, mounted and laser bore sighted)
  • 2 Cheek Risers
  • Sling Mount

I seem to remember them at around $349.00 last year, but can check the price on the one we have tomorrow. If you can hold off, Dicks Sporting Goods will have a pile of these soon, or have a Lodge Associate try and locate one for you....It will not be a disappointment.

Mossbergs are pretty much built like tanks.
I have a 500 and 835 for Trap.
In 20 plus years with Mossberg shotguns, I have never had a part break, a failure to feed or eject.
I guess the only bitch would be the long ass screwdriver you need to change the stock.

wow that is a ton of goodies, mark!

if i didn't already buy my persuader a while back this would be the package i'd be out looking for!

Dennis at First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge has the Moss. 590 (2 models - one with the speed stock and one regular stock) and the Rem. 870....

I have the Moss. 590A1 and it handles great....

Thanks for that info, yes, I can wait for now...

If you're out around Exit 2 on the Pike, Pittsfield is 18-miles and we have one in stock.

wow that is a ton of goodies, mark!

if i didn't already buy my persuader a while back this would be the package i'd be out looking for!

The neat thing is, a customer who bought one last year, also bought an 18" HD barrel for it for $100.00 and for around $400.00 has 3 guns in one - more really considering the complete choke tube set that comes with it...

The neat thing is, a customer who bought one last year, also bought an 18" HD barrel for it for $100.00 and for around $400.00 has 3 guns in one - more really considering the complete choke tube set that comes with it...

I did the same thing, though I got the 18" barrel on sale for $70 from Bud's. I wanna say I paid $300 on sale for the combo last year.

+1 on the 590.. mine was great. Every shotgun should have a bayonet lug like the 590. (The shotgun comes in handy for getting intruders off of the bayonet)
One thing to be careful of: If you change the stock out, take care not to use too long of a bolt, or you will break the connector to the safety. That was a PITA to figure out and fix.

I have a couple Mossberg 500's that I've had for years and years and they're called my trusty rusty's for good reason. No matter how dirty, grimy, beat up, rusty they get, they are always reliable. Love my mossbergs. BTW, asking the question to compare a Remmy 870 to a Mossberg 500 is like asking who makes a better truck - Ford or Chevy. [smile]

You can't really go wrong with the Mossberg. I have the 500 cruiser, just incase I ever need to breach one of my own doors[wink]. Very reliable.

I have a Rem.870, a Mossberg 500, a 590a1 and an old Winchester1897. I like them all but I don't think you can kill the Mossberg 500.

I have a real old 500. It is seriously 100% reliable.

DSCF0001-2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 500 pump a long time ago. It was poorly made, the slide was sloppy as hell. And the piece under the barrel where the take down screw goes in to snapped off so I needed a new barrel.

For those of you who are big fans of the Mossberg shotguns do you also own any Benelli, Beretta, or Browning shotguns? If show how would you compare Mossberg to any of them?

IMO with Mossberg you get what you pay for, not much.

If they have them, (we have one in stock right now in Pittsfield), by all means get the Mossberg 500 Combo! It comes with much more accessories than the Remington at nearly half the cost. It's a stable and reliable shotgun and the customer response to these packages, (only available at Dicks) was stellar....here's what it comes with:

• Mossberg 500 Shotgun
  • 3 Chokes
  • 2 Cheek Risers
  • Sling Mount

I seem to remember them at around $349.00 last year, but can check the price on the one we have tomorrow. If you can hold off, Dicks Sporting Goods will have a pile of these soon, or have a Lodge Associate try and locate one for you....It will not be a disappointment.

I purchased this exact combo from DSG in Hadley on June 13th. I even posted in the June new acquisitions thread mentioning it, saying that pics were pending. I have not yet posted any pics, though, because my trigger assembly is being repaired at Mossberg right now. Within a week and a half of purchase, and with a round count of zero, I discovered that the safety no longer blocked the trigger. I field stripped gun and a little piece of plastic fell out of the receiver. Turns out, due to the stresses of field stripping and wiping off excess lube from the factory, followed by reassembly and function check, the little tab on the back of the trigger (which is made entirely of plastic) snapped off. That tab is what engages with the safety and prevents the trigger from being pulled when the safety is on. On the plus side the service department said I could mail just the trigger assembly (they usually require the entire gun to be mailed to them for service) and they would repair it. I believe it's currently in the mail on it's way back to me. That being said, I'm not impressed with the use of such flimsy materials. Below is an image of the piece that broke off.

triggerp.jpg

Maybe it was a fluke and I got a 1 in a million lemon? All I can say is my confidence in the Mossberg brand has been severely shaken by this issue.

I bought a 500 with a 24" barrel and removable chokes and have added on the rifled and 18.5" barrels. I think that they even make a blackpowder barrel and would like to pick one up before the fall. I only have 2 shotguns so I can't compare it to anything other than my Dad's remington 1100. (1100 = smooth shooting semi but almost to soft to shoot the pump reminds me about ammo control) I love my 500 and it's smooth swing and light 2 3/4" #7 shot chasing after pheasants or busting through brush with that 18.5 and some high brass 3" lead slugs in it.

I might be biased but the gun has ben dropped in the mud while out after ducks, covered in freezing rain, and battered by box after box after box of hunting clays and still works beautifuly. All that being said I am 6'2" and 280lbs so I have no issues with the weight of the gun, or stiff recoil from the pump. I will probably get the 500 bantam for my lil brother who is looking to help out with the pheasant harvest this year.

For those of you who are big fans of the Mossberg shotguns do you also own any Benelli, Beretta, or Browning shotguns? If show how would you compare Mossberg to any of them?

There is no comparison...Once you shoot a Benelli SuperNova, it seems to eclipse anything Mossberg. I always throw the SuperNova into any discussion about "Which Pump Gun Should I Buy?" threads. They are overlooked in favor of the 500 or 870, which in my experience are not nearly as nice as a Benelli and cost more in the long run, (if you decide to equip for HD especially). Extra barrels for Benelli are a weak point, (expensive and hard to get), but my personal experience with Remington 870's, Mossberg 500's and Benelli SuperNovas leave the Benelli as a better option all around...

I will say the 590A1 is a different animal altogether - it's not a souped up 500 and seems to be built to a higher standard. I think for the sheer value and reliability, (except ochmude's example), they are a good gun - especially for someone starting out on limited funds. I'll conservatively say that we sold over 100 of those combo packages last year and everyone who comes into the Lodge has loved them. I had one issue with a scope that would simply not zero, (they are free after all), but other than that - they have been rock solid.

If I had under $400.00 to spend on a pump gun, it would likely be the SuperNova we have at $369.99, but if I needed and all-in-one option, the 500 package is a good option imho....

I had a 500 pump a long time ago. It was poorly made, the slide was sloppy as hell. And the piece under the barrel where the take down screw goes in to snapped off so I needed a new barrel.

I have to agree with Derek here. Mossy's are not exactly in the same class as the Beretta's or Benelli's. But you have to consider your usage. I have a Moss 500 for home defense #1 and for toying around with some clays once I figure that out!... I wouldn't say Mossbergs are the #1 choice of game hunters but for a first shotgun I would say you can't beat a Mossberg 500 for +/- $350 over a Beretta tipping the scales at over $1,000.

If you want to become a serious hunter look closer at the Remingtons for the "low end" and if you have the need to part with a few grand there are some BEAUTIFUL Beretta's out there. Or hell, if you just want to blast away at the range like its nobodies business grab yourself a Saiga semi-auto (but I have heard of a little jamming if not properly cleaned on a semi-regular basis).

My two cents. If you don't want them I will take them back and get some penny candy! Good luck on your pursuit!

I have an old mossy 500 with 3 barrels. Mine had a nice walnut stock with a fluted comb and pistol grip cap. The wood was extra nice with interesting grain and a lot of character. I took my time and fitted that stock to my short arms and had it so it shouldered perfect every time I lifted it. I hunted everything with it and also shot many rounds of trap with it. The action started unlocking when shooting it so I sent it back to Mossberg for repair. 3 weeks later I got the gun back. I opened the box to find it now had a simulated wood stock that didn't match the walnut front stock, the metal safety was replaced with a plastic one, the trigger guard was now plastic. I called mossberg and begged for my stock back. They kept transferring me to someone else and eventually lost the call. I wrote, emailed, called again and again. The best answer they gave me was the stock must have been damaged and they were required to replace it. They didn't charge me for this service. I wanted the walnut stock that I paid for and not some fake wood that didn't come close to the stock I sent them. They were rude and really made me angry. Then I went to the gun show at the big E about a month later and guess what...I found my stock for sale in a barrel with about a dozen mossberg stocks. I couldn't find any damage and I told the guy selling it he was a thief. He wouldn't admit to working for mossberg. He wanted $70 for my stock...he said it was a rare find. I should have just taken it. I wouldn't pay that money but I did call Mossberg and let them know that I found my stock and I wanted them to address the issue with their repairman. I described him but I didn't have his name. They were again very rude and reminded me they didn't charge me for the repair. I haven't fired that shotgun in over 10 years. I've since burned the fake wood stock they put on my gun and replaced both stocks with black plastic. The gun remains unfired since it was returned. I bought 2 winchester shotguns to replace the mossy and it will remain in the safe until mossberg makes good on the walnut stocks they stole from me. Will I buy another mossberg? Not until they replace the walnut stocks and apologize for what they did and the way they've treated me since. Go with the Remington or grab a nice Winchester. It'll make me feel like your helping me get even with Mossberg.

• Mossberg 500 Shotgun
  • 3 Chokes
  • 2 Cheek Risers
  • Sling Mount

I have that same gun. It is the Mossberg Trophy Slugster. Bought it from the Ware Gun shop about 6 years ago. I tell you what it is absolutley deadly with lightfield slugs! 3" groups at 125 yards. It is a deer killing machine!

125 yard slug group
guntarget.jpg

Got my Combo last year for $280, and picked up the 18 inch barrel for $70 from Midway. Great deal, and I can put the slugs in the black of a slow-fire pistol target at 50 yards with the 18 inch barrel and front bead without much trouble.

No argument there. It's a no frills gun, and doesn't hold a candle to any of the European makers. Beretta, Benelli, and Browning, along with a number of super-high-end makers, are the masters of shotgun making, IMO. That said, it shoots.

Back
Top Bottom