• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotguns

pastera

NES Member
Looking to pick up a shotgun.
Don't want a 18" home defense gun

Was looking at the Stoeger Condor - Bass Pro has one for $399
Really like the look of an over/under but don't like sending money to big box stores.

Hard limit of $500 (have a shooting Supply gift card to cover a starting supply of shells)

Not a "buy once, cry once" - want something to play around with to see if I'll put enough time in to make a decent investment worth it. If not I want something decent enough to be worth keeping around.

BTW - I'm left handed if that makes any difference

Really like the look of an over/under but don't like sending money to big box stores.

Hard limit of $500 (have a shooting Supply gift card to cover a starting supply of shells)

There's tons of Turkish O/Us on the market currently that sell for $600, 700 new that you might be able to score for less than $500 used. Look for Tri-Star and ATA. These are budget guns, so generally durable but a little hefty and not great fit-and-finish. Nothing wrong with them, though, except maybe parts availability in ten, twenty years.

The Stoegers are also Turkish but the Stoeger guns are the bottom of the barrel in terms of budget guns. ATA and Tri-Star make noticeably nicer guns.

There's tons of Turkish O/Us on the market currently that sell for $600, 700 new that you might be able to score for less than $500 used. Look for Tri-Star and ATA. These are budget guns, so generally durable but a little hefty and not great fit-and-finish. Nothing wrong with them, though, except maybe parts availability in ten, twenty years.

The Stoegers are also Turkish but the Stoeger guns are the bottom of the barrel in terms of budget guns. ATA and Tri-Star make noticeably nicer guns.

I've got a Huglu in 20GA, labeled as a CZ Drake. Cost me 650 new, (traded a gun for it). I like this shotgun a LOT. Fit and finish are good to almost excellent, balance is perfect. If you can find one of these used, it's a good value.

I bought the wife a CZ720, but they make it in 12ga as well...CZ712. very well made and put together gun, MSRP of $535

Looking to pick up a shotgun.
Don't want a 18" home defense gun

Not a "buy once, cry once" - want something to play around with to see if I'll put enough time in to make a decent investment worth it. If not I want something decent enough to be worth keeping around.

BTW - I'm left handed if that makes any difference
As long as the stock has a neutral cast (straight) stock left hand should be fine.
Might be in your favor to go to local clubs that have trap and skeet and see if they have a for sale board.
Kittery trading post generally has a decent selection of shotguns.

Going to have to put off a shotgun for a month or so - ended up replacing my cycling computer.
If Shooting Supply has something available then I can pick it up since I'm sitting on a $200 gift card but the "need" for a new head unit lowered my cash reserves.

I got one of the Turkish ones. Seems some of them are just rebranded with different names?
Its it a little crude but works 100% and cheap

I got one of the Turkish ones. Seems some of them are just rebranded with different names?
Its it a little crude but works 100% and cheap

Some Turkish manufacturers sell under their own name, like ATA and Tri-Star. Others like Khan and Huglu are sold by US companies like Mossberg, CZ, and Stoeger.

Turkish shotguns are the modern day equivalent of Belgian and Spanish shotguns 70-150 years ago, there's tons of manufacturers there.

The CZ 712 looks real nice but I'm going to need to find a used one right now.
I should be able to replace my slush fund pretty quick or get approval from the finance Department to cover the difference.

Back
Top Bottom