• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any feedback on Dickinson shotguns?

mtsfitness

NES Member
Not alot of information out there on Dickinson shotguns. One of my local shops, Baystate Arms in Peabody have them. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

If your talking S/S they are a high quality manufacturer. I have a 28 SXS that is fantastic in fit, finish, wood quality and shootability. I regularly shoot 23-25 with it at skeet. In my opinion these are the cream of the crop of Turkish made shotguns. For $1400 there is nothing out there in that quality range in SXS new guns. CZ/ Huglu doubles are a runner up, at a lower cost, but in most cases their wood is shxtty, their fit and finish not up to par with the Dickenson stuff that is only a few hundred more.

My only hesitation on Turkish guns is parts replacement. Mark, how long have you been shooting skeet with yours?

I bought a new Remington O/U that was made in Italy some years back. I had a problem with a small screw that sheared off, but I manufactured a replacement of Stainless Steel and more robust. I did not even attempt to get a part from Remington since they just referred me to the maker.

I broke an extractor, spent 20 mins looking for the components since it lunched on opening. I went through the hassle of ordering a new one through the maker and after a month, I was told it was in the mail but would need some fitting. I got the new extractor and they were right. It was just a rough casting and would need machining as well as hand fitting. I found a great welder and put the broken one back together and fit it myself.

This means nothing when dealing with a Dickinson, but it is something to consider. Ask them about parts replacement, not under warrantee, but a few years down the road.

Its certainly not my main skeet gun, Ive shot skeet with it 5-6 times and hunted a bunch with it, but its not that old. However my feeling is it's a field gun and I wouldnt want to beat the crap out of it shooting skeet every week. Fixing is always a consideration, I'm pretty sure this gun has a lifetime warranty.
As with any warranty, I hope to never have to use it....which is why I would never buy as a main skeet or trap gun. Not that it wouldn't last, but the reputation on Turkish guns is hit or miss. I know some guys with CZ/Huglu that have had issues, and some that have been rock solid.

I use a Browning CXS 20 gauge for target shooting, obviously much more common gun, solid reputation for reliability, and action is tough as nails, and has a good reputation.

Understood Mark, thanks for the info.

My Remington that was Italian made, (Upland Special straight stock) I shot the hell out of for a few years. 3 or 4 Rounds or more a week on the skeet field. I sort of field tested it. I learned. Replacement parts and warrantee are important to know BEFORE purchase. I have Belgian Browning O/U's that have more rounds through them than some 1100's I have owned. Other than a few worn firing pins, they hold up under more wear and tear than lots of other things. It's in the eye and use of the beholder.

Any US brand is going to cost more and will carry a better bet for replacement parts. While on the subject, a friend with a lifetime Remington Warrantee just had his 1100 barrel mount separate. He was told, "Remington no longer supports lifetime warrantees." So all is subject to the manufacturer.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but standing up under continuous use is 75% of a shotgun purchase.

Back
Top Bottom