Mossberg or Remington

Besides getting ready to make a purchase of a 45, I am also interested in picking up a shotgun, primarily for HD. Mossberg 550 or Remington 870.

This comes up so much it should be a stickie, they are both great guns and come in a mind numbing amount of configurations. Remington has a steel receiver, Mossberg aluminum, Remington has the slide release in front of the trigger guard, Moss behind. Remington has a non reversible trigger guard safety and Moss has a tang mounted thumb safety, you may as I do prefer this being a left hand shooter and that reason only. Both are used by law enforcement and the military so either one and your GTG, as always go handle one and see what fits. Some Mossbergs 500's have a plastic safety button that is easily swapped out for an aftermarket aluminum. The Mossberg 590A1 is a bad a$$ weapon, a little heavier but with the ghost ring sights and parkerized finish, eight round tube, its a viscous looking gun and is what our troops are using in the sand box. YMMV

I know my comments on the safety are really only pertinent to us panty waists that would use a safety because a real man would never put a mechanical block between his brain and the sear, or some such or something...........its coming. [smile]

Last edited:
590A1. Hands down.

The remmy express is AWFUL.
The regular 870s are nicely finished, but do a quick search, and you'll notice the common issues with function aren't exactly small.

If those are your only two choices, then go for a 590A1 - they are built quite a bit better than stock 500's. If you're going to go cheap, then go for the Remington. The Mossberg "Persuader" line is pretty shoddy. Frankly, I'd go for a Benelli SuperNova Tactical and dance around in the modern era, but that's just me...

Both are great, pick either and you'll be happy. If you buy one and are not happy, sell it and buy the other. Or keep it and buy another. That's what I do. I think in my safe there are 2 500's and 1 Remington. I'm adding another 500 today and hopefully in the coming weeks I'll add an 870 police magnum.

Go for the Mossberg. It worked for Jake.
600px-Vlcsnap-323501.jpg

edit: Alonzo chose the Remmy, and he died at the end.
600px-Vlcsnap-343654.jpg

The first thing I would say is the Mossy 590 is far and away the better gun than the 500 model. If that is in your budget, look at that. Now between the 590 and the 870, both guns have their positive and negative points many of which are subjective.

1. Safety location. Do you want to use a pistol grip? If so I personally find that the top mounted Mossberg style to be less than ideal. I'd say its only advantage is if you are left handed. Otherwise I think the 870 is more intuitive.

2. Slide Release 870 is in front of the trigger guard, Mossy behind. Train with your gun and this becomes a non issue. People will debate this to end. Just learn your own weapon.

3. Quality For the sake of this argument lets say we are looking at the 590A1 and the 870 police models. As I would say they represent the better models of each brand. Keeping in mind that the 500, or 870 express has a some difference in finish, and perhaps some difference in quality.
I would say many people would make the statement that the 870 feels a little better. In my experience the Mossberg seemed to have a little bit of a rattle to it. Didn't feel as solid. This is no way impacted the function of the weapon, as it went bang each and every time I asked it to. I also felt that when racking a round, the 870 was a little smoother. Many people prefer the steel receiver of the 870 as well.

4. Accessories Both have more options than you might ever need. You can be tacticool to your hearts content.

5. Track record Both guns have gone through tons of testing. Both have law enforcement and military contracts. Overall the 870 has been around longer, and still has a higher adoption rate. However, The 590 has been getting the standard military contracts unless I am mistaken. Point being people like these guns. Both are battle tested, and neither should let you down, provided you do your part in maintaining the weapon.

In the end both will likely serve your purpose, For me I went with the 870. It just felt better in my hands. Handle both and see what you think. Then go eat some bacon.

Great idea, what gunshops within this wonderful region have their own ranges so you can do so?

Go green, and come to a shoot, or just post up in the members forum that you're looking to try out some guns before making a purchase.

Also, I have an 870 that you're more than welcome to try, if you want.

Go green, and come to a shoot, or just post up in the members forum that you're looking to try out some guns before making a purchase.

Also, I have an 870 that you're more than welcome to try, if you want.

Much appreciated. When I have a little time No. Leominster R&G is on my short list of clubs to check out too.

I think the 870 is the most versitile off them all, You can buy any type of stock/barrel set up you want

HD,tactical,trap,skeet, on and on. I have run the full spectrum with my 870 express. from its humble begining of 28" field barrel, to slug ,tactical,tactifool(I believe you can go over board)Trap, skeet I even purchased the blackpowder barrel set up but never used it.

I have purchased many 870 express guns that where described from the seller as broken. Other than flat out abuse everyone was deep cleaned and work flawlessly.

I have had my 870 express purchased in 1988 apart side by side with my 870 70s vintage wingmaster
I could not tell the difference in any of the parts by sight. Other than the lifter wich is crome in my wingmaster? Not to say. Fit and finish on a 870 express is not pretty.

My HD shotgun if I had to go for it is my 870express 20g with a youth stock and smooth bore slug barrel.
Compact light and functions flawlessly. If the 4 rounds from that gun dont settle the threat, I think Im out guned and out numbered.

Try try try before you buy. ALSO what ever gun you do get PLEASE tear it down and clean it good.
NEW GUNS ARE DIRTY

If those are your only two choices, then go for a 590A1 - they are built quite a bit better than stock 500's. If you're going to go cheap, then go for the Remington. The Mossberg "Persuader" line is pretty shoddy. Frankly, I'd go for a Benelli SuperNova Tactical and dance around in the modern era, but that's just me...

This. If he's willing to spend a little more I think he should at least look at the Benelli. Pump action fartguns are generally mostly the same, but the SNT is a cut above, IMHO, especially when it concerns the sights. The action is probably the smoothest going, too.

-Mike

One thing this thread shows is the Mossberg folks are the early risers as the Mossy was out of the gate clean until the Remington kool-aid drinkers wiped the sleep out of their eyes. [smile] I would own either and be happy, great aftermarket support for both.

Back
Top Bottom