More than 10 people killed in Nova Scotia rampage

If you're good at that and want a side job fixing a wall made out of those kind of rocks let me know. [laugh] Mine partially collapsed (about 8 out of 30something feet) in my backyard and I have no friggan idea why. I think it was damaged years ago and water/frost heaves or something pushed it over and it just spilled into a clump in my yard, lmao...

-Mike

They do still get contemporary Norincos and can also posses sawed off shotguns.
They also have an absence of a Second Amendment. Gun ownership there is a privilege, not a right. One massacre in Tasmania caused all semiautomatic rifles and shotguns, along with all pump- action shotguns, to be banned in Australia. Same thing happened in the UK and most recently, in New Zealand.

They also have an absence of a Second Amendment. Gun ownership there is a privilege, not a right. One massacre in Tasmania caused all semiautomatic rifles and shotguns, along with all pump- action shotguns, to be banned. Same thing happened in the UK and most recently, in New Zealand.
I will firmly agree with you there. I’m only jealous I can’t have that sawed off trench gun. Oh, but wait......?

If you're good at that and want a side job fixing a wall made out of those kind of rocks let me know. [laugh] Mine partially collapsed (about 8 out of 30something feet) in my backyard and I have no friggan idea why. I think it was damaged years ago and water/frost heaves or something pushed it over and it just spilled into a clump in my yard, lmao...

-Mike
I do dry fitted fieldstone walls. There’s a bit involved with maintaining longevity. It is very rewarding not to use concrete. Height is heavily proportional to pressure behind the wall. Since my job is low height I’m not concerned with much soil pressure and there is also many tree roots to hold the hillside. I collected all that fieldstone in the pictures from a resident who was giving it away for free. That took me about 12 rental truckloads to get it all moved!

Last edited:
This is where you're off the mark

Government have been dealing with infections

But to date they've been limited to quarantining the sick

That's very, very far from the case.

The British spent a year quarantining ALL incoming shipping for thirty (and later forty) days, and restricting migration and imports to such an extent that they nearly started a war with the rest of Europe. They posted naval vessels in the Thames estuary and fired on ships (including their own citizens) who tried to run the quarantine. They were in dead earnest, and this occurred in 1665-6. In response to bubonic plague. These orders applied to America too, of course, since we were their colony, and that precedent still holds true. As do many, many others you can look up if you care to inform yourself.

I'm telling you that the history of our legal system and its antecedents goes back long before the Spanish flu. You seem to take a far more limited view of history. That isn't my fault, but it's going to disappoint you when you see that governments have more power against sickness than you or I wish they had. Legal history does not care that you signed a petition to Sununu.

Prepare yourself for disappointment.

I’m an introvert, and I still have my job, so I’m probably not the best person to ask these questions, but I will anyway. There’s a very long thread in here about how people are staying safe with gloves and masks and prepping food etc. , but there is also this push to open things up. So my question is do you want things open and “hope” that shit doesn’t get worse of do you want to keep things shut down and continue the downward trend in infections. If we open things back up, we have an uptick in infections/deaths, we know this because science. Is it you’re looking for a fight or do you think it’s better to just let this thing do the the same thing the Spanish flu did and have a massive resurgence? I urge you all to listen to the cidrap podcasts with Michael Osterholm. He’s a conservative republican, but also a smart epidemiologist. He is the one person I’ve trusted to listen to through this whole thing. He is not beholden to any politician, he has a vast amount of experience in pandemics and he has been right in every prediction he has made.

News flash....the brits lost the war here in the colonies

We can continue down thiis road the way we usually do and I present a pile of facts and you wring your hands and get your feels hurt ......

Here's the NYC response to 1918

City didnt shut down

Schools didnt shut down

We could go on and on.....but please....if you're going to try to cherry pick....read the whole thing first.

One more time: history didn't start in 1918.

But I've read enough posts from you on this subject to know that I won't convince you of that. By all means, continue with your "face to arse at the supermarket" followed by "Fauxi and the medical-industrial complex" and now "let's reopen New Hampshire." It's gotten tiresome seeing the same ol' same ol' from you again, but I've given up hope you'll change.

Good luck.

I’m an introvert, and I still have my job, so I’m probably not the best person to ask these questions, but I will anyway. There’s a very long thread in here about how people are staying safe with gloves and masks and prepping food etc. , but there is also this push to open things up. So my question is do you want things open and “hope” that shit doesn’t get worse of do you want to keep things shut down and continue the downward trend in infections. If we open things back up, we have an uptick in infections/deaths, we know this because science. Is it you’re looking for a fight or do you think it’s better to just let this thing do the the same thing the Spanish flu did and have a massive resurgence? I urge you all to listen to the cidrap podcasts with Michael Osterholm. He’s a conservative republican, but also a smart epidemiologist. He is the one person I’ve trusted to listen to through this whole thing. He is not beholden to any politician, he has a vast amount of experience in pandemics and he has been right in every prediction he has made.

The idea that you can achieve 100% burnout with this thing is silly, unless you're going to go "ok mr and mrs america, stay in your house for 14 days, if you don't, we'll blow your
brains out, its for your own good" and then test all 300+ million americans after. Otherwise its just going to spread at some point. Also whats to stop someone else from carrying it back in here from bat juice land and just causing another outbreak?

Staying closed forever and hiding in the basement isn't viable. The pandemic karens are acting like there\s a nuclear fallout cloud outside or something and that just isn't reality. And the whole scared of their own shadow thing is ultimately going to get more people killed. It should be fun when they find dead people marinating in their own juices in their houses because the jerk on TV scared them into not going into a hospital that was "filled with rona". etc. Or people that hung themselves because the lockdown destroyed their career or business in such a way that
they'd never be able to come back from it. Given enough time this will be just like "the war on drugs" etc, where the ham fisted government control efforts have a side effect of killing people
in addition to the ones already being killed by the main problem.

I'm not saying sure open everything back up, but the current situation is absurd. You have states with counties in them with like a handful of cases in them (with no increases in over a week or more) where some guy can't open his shop that like 5 people a day come into. Or that people can't even open businesses that are open to the public, businesses where workers could eaisly
practice social distancing and other safety procedures. But they're still being blocked, because of .gov edict.

-Mike

Let everyone who thinks this pandemic is no big deal all get together and do what they want. In two weeks they'll be belly down hacking their lungs out. When the dust clears the ones with the common sense to follow precautions will be the survivors.

The idea that you can achieve 100% burnout with this thing is silly, unless you're going to go "ok mr and mrs america, stay in your house for 14 days, if you don't, we'll blow your
brains out, its for your own good" and then test all 300+ million americans after. Otherwise its just going to spread at some point. Also whats to stop someone else from carrying it back in here from bat juice land and just causing another outbreak?

Staying closed forever and hiding in the basement isn't viable. The pandemic karens are acting like there\s a nuclear fallout cloud outside or something and that just isn't reality. And the whole scared of their own shadow thing is ultimately going to get more people killed. It should be fun when they find dead people marinating in their own juices in their houses because the jerk on TV scared them into not going into a hospital that was "filled with rona". etc. Or people that hung themselves because the lockdown destroyed their career or business in such a way that
they'd never be able to come back from it. Given enough time this will be just like "the war on drugs" etc, where the ham fisted government control efforts have a side effect of killing people

I'm not saying sure open everything back up, but the current situation is absurd. You have states with counties in them with like a handful of cases in them (with no increases in over a week or more) where some guy can't open his shop that like 5 people a day come into. Or that people can't even open businesses that are open to the public, businesses where workers could eaisly
practice social distancing and other safety procedures. But they're still being blocked, because of .gov edict.

-Mike
I don’t think 100% burnout is a reality either, the idea is to keep it contained until a vaccine is available or a viable treatment is available. Opening up small portions would be great, but if you open up one county, call it Sullivan county in NH, but the Manchester area is still shut down because it’s a “hotpspot”, what’s to stop people from Manchester heading into Sullivan county and thus creating an outbreak there? I don’t have answers as to how to make it work and how to keep people from dying while keeping the economy viable, I’m just asking if protesting to “open” everything up is a good idea. Seems to me it’s being portrayed as a conservative agenda to open things up and a liberal thing to keep it shut down. Shouldn’t be a political thing, it should be a scientific thing.

I don’t think 100% burnout is a reality either, the idea is to keep it contained until a vaccine is available or a viable treatment is available. Opening up small portions would be great, but if you open up one county, call it Sullivan county in NH, but the Manchester area is still shut down because it’s a “hotpspot”, what’s to stop people from Manchester heading into Sullivan county and thus creating an outbreak there? I don’t have answers as to how to make it work and how to keep people from dying while keeping the economy viable, I’m just asking if protesting to “open” everything up is a good idea. Seems to me it’s being portrayed as a conservative agenda to open things up and a liberal thing to keep it shut down. Shouldn’t be a political thing, it should be a scientific thing.
What if the vaccine isn't effective? What happens to society when you haven't let people work for another month, much less another year? Opening up portions of the economy ASAP is the way to do it. Let people work at their non-essential job with new safeguards in place. We need a slow burn. No burn is not realistic. You're also not going to see people at sports stadiums or sitting fully packed on the old starting chart at your local restaurant either. Everyone who feels they are high risk is welcome to continue to self isolate. I have a feeling herd immunity will be the answer, not a vaccine.

So, anyone have any new info on the shooting worth sharing or is this now the ‘open/don’t open the states back up, possible Michigan boogaloo, .gov argument’ thread?

Looks like death toll is 16, spread over a 30 mile swath. Dead LEO was a 23 year veteran and mother of 2. Shooter disguised himself and vehicle as a police officer, I’m sure that meant he had the jump on almost every victim. Hard to put myself in that situation. No one’s going to draw down on a perceived LEO. Yikes. Zero mention of potential weapon(s) which leads me to believe they’re the less killy variety. Had it been an AR pattern rifle, would have been al over the initial reports and every one thereafter.

Edit- the more I think about it, dressed as a LEO he probably used a semi auto pistol. Shoot ‘n scoot mission. It’s brilliant in way. Terrible, but brilliant. No one’s going to think twice about a LEO with a gun until they start blasting away at citizens. Now the reports coming in are ‘a cop with a gun shot a bunch of people and took off’ this adds delay, confusion, and multiple locations to the mix. I’m sure it was chaos. He’s an awful person who put a lot of thought in to his plan.

Last edited:

The WSJ I linked in my post above may be behind a paywall. It wasn’t when I viewed it. Apologies.
This Guardian article has reports of multiple fires being set, including police cars. Don’t know why I’m still reading. Can’t sleep. Oh well.

Last edited:
A little thread drift here. I actually though for a minute that I had jumped to another thread.

Thought and prayers to the victims in Nova Scotia. It goes to show that even strict gun laws do not prevent a determined attacker. Contrary to popular belief, lots of Canadians own firearms. Most are owned for hunting, but there are a lot of hunters.
Canadians can own handguns, but the requirements are extreme, and they can not carry.

Wrong town; I only shoot there. I don't shoot where I teach!
I thought the expression was " don't shit where you eat"?

... Nevertheless it's starting... the wholesale killing WILL begin. May 1. People have had enough.
I'm going to be very blunt. If this doesn't stop by May 1, hell will break loose. Seriously. The courts will be COMPELLED to deal with it, one way or the other.

If they don't curb it... in days past, I had a .sig here that spoke favorably of crucifixion. That may come to pass.
"Wholesale killing? ...crucifixion"? By May 1st?. Cmon man, get a grip.

I'm thinking handgun. The "killy rifle" the Canadians used to be able to get without restrictions was a Vz58 with a long barrel, which is more than killy enough, but they've always been expensive. Trudeau put restrictions on them last May.

My understanding is that it really is tough to get more conventional MSRs up there, though there are a bajillion hunting rifles in the country.

The articles make this sound like a horror show. He evaded the cops at least once; I'm thinking they might have been holding back, unsure, to avoid blue-on blue during that early encounter with them. When they finally took him down, he was surrounded and then some.

ETA: They describe his car as a "mocked-up cruiser," which undersells it. It's very convincing. ANY citizen would assume it was driven by an RCMP guy. Chilling. This is one of those situations where having a CCW might not do much for you if your SA isn't top-notch. And even then...

1587380207550.png

Last edited:
Expect more of the same.
And suicides.
And ODs.
And treatable stuff going untreated.
And...

A couple week shutdown to assess and respond is one thing. What they're doing now is beyond insanity. The courts need to intervene at this point to declare the major emergency is over, and executive actions null and void.

How is his not already happening all over America? Or is it just being swept under the rug?

At least some of the victims were killed when fleeing their homes after he set them on fire. None of this was spur-of-the-moment.

That’s sadistic. I know the thread turned to him possibly having cracked and pressure put on people with the economy shut down leading to other outbursts, but this was in planning for quite some time. I don’t think he acquired a uniform and detailed his Ford to look identical to a RCMP car in the last few weeks. He obviously had some form of accelerant (molotovs?) and a well thought out plan. This happened overnight so those people who’s homes were set on fire had it done late at night/early early morning. You wake up to a fire, get the fam outside only to be ambushed by someone in a police uniform. I don’t think any degree of situational awareness helps in that situation. If you run out of your flaming house to see a police officer 100 out of 100 times you think he’s there to help. That’s some deep seeded psychological fu*kery.

I worked in the removables (dentures, flippers, night guards, etc.) department of a dental lab for a spell. Aside from one or two people who were notable exceptions, it seemed that every person who stays in that line of work is seriously mentally defective in some way or another.

That’s sadistic. I know the thread turned to him possibly having cracked and pressure put on people with the economy shut down leading to other outbursts, but this was in planning for quite some time. I don’t think he acquired a uniform and detailed his Ford to look identical to a RCMP car in the last few weeks. He obviously had some form of accelerant (molotovs?) and a well thought out plan. This happened overnight so those people who’s homes were set on fire had it done late at night/early early morning. You wake up to a fire, get the fam outside only to be ambushed by someone in a police uniform. I don’t think any degree of situational awareness helps in that situation. If you run out of your flaming house to see a police officer 100 out of 100 times you think he’s there to help. That’s some deep seeded psychological fu*kery.

This started in a little tiny hamlet where the shooter owned three significant parcels, apparently including a campground. He certainly knew the first victims.

He was apparently an RCMP enthusiast, so he probably already had the uniforms and, perhaps, the car. Still no word on firearms used.

This thread:
1587387471465.png

I don't know much about Canadian gun laws. Do different jurisdictions have vastly different schemes like the various US states? Or is it all the same everywhere?

This seems like a case where self defense might have come in handy.... despite the ambush situation. Also supports the "always be carrying" idea.

Edit: The infection is spreading. The only way to contain it is to use the ignore feature.

This thread:
View attachment 350083

I don't know much about Canadian gun laws. Do different jurisdictions have vastly different schemes like the various US states? Or is it all the same everywhere?

This seems like a case where self defense might have come in handy.... despite the ambush situation.

Edit: The infection is spreading. The only way to contain it is to use the ignore feature.

They've got a very strong set of federal gun laws. I don't know about provincial preemption.

Canada obviously has a long and well-established hunting culture, and no Canadian government seriously expects to ban firearms completely; they're a necessity outside any Canadian city. But killy black rifles have been very tightly regulated there for years, nationwide, other than long-barreled AK clones (until the nineties, anyway) and long-barreled Vz58s (until last year). ARs aren't really a thing in Canada; they used a version of the L1A1, which I don't think was ever available to civilians there. So there's no real expectation among Canadian gun owners that you can tool yourself up operator-style.

You used to have to register everything, but I think their supreme court struck that down a few years ago. Quebec was different for awhile, I recall.

There's no federal right to handgun carry, I know that much.

I do dry fitted fieldstone walls. There’s a bit involved with maintaining longevity. It is very rewarding not to use concrete. Height is heavily proportional to pressure behind the wall. Since my job is low height I’m not concerned with much soil pressure and there is also many tree roots to hold the hillside. I collected all that fieldstone in the pictures from a resident who was giving it away for free. That took me about 12 rental truckloads to get it all moved!

Yeah, mine is about 4 feet or so high at the place it collapsed and its almost a sort of retaining wall from the front yard. At first I thought like someone had driven a car into my yard and like drove it off the wall, but that didn't make any sense because there were no tire tracks or shit like that in the yard. My suspicion is that water built up back there during one of the massive rainstorms we had this winter etc and the water had no place to go and pushed it out... because its cemented together, and that part had more cement in it than the rest of the wall... (looks like my grandfather had kind of patched the thing together. I'll have to get a pic of it.

-Mike

-Mike

I could not agree with this more.

With each passing day, and as more serum antibody testing becomes available, it is becoming clearer that millions of people in our country have contracted this virus and suffered nothing more than minor flu-like symptoms at worst. An MGH run antibody study of 200 random folks in Chelsea on one day found that one third had been previously infected.

When antibody testing can provide a more reliable estimate of the total number of cases, we're likely to find that the CFR for COVID-19 is equal to, or lower than seasonal flu. One caveat though is that COVID-19 is likely to be more deadly for members of the vulnerable demographics who contract it. If this is true, it makes efforts like contact tracing that Baker is so proud of pointless and of little benefit as the COVID horse left the barn late last fall - early winter.

Efforts should instead be focussed on protecting the vulnerable populations and move on to let the virus burn through everyone else as we would expect to see few hospitalizations in the healthy population. The challenge, of course, is how to identify the vulnerable folks and protect them. And yes, there will be some unfortunate deaths but that is unavoidable with any solution we go with.

I would like to see some data around any differences in the nature of social contacts between the "healthy" population and the vulnerable population. Is it possible that this virus ripped through much of the healthy population late last year and early this year before we were looking for Corona and their symptoms were written off as something unexplainable? Could a difference in the nature of social contacts account for the virus taking more time to make its way into the vulnerable population more recently? I haven't seen any data to support this but I'm still curious as to whether it is possible.

On another note, I'm not sure we'll get to the point of seeing a mandatory, heavily enforced lockdown. As much as I think some of our statist mayors and governors would love to do so, they realize that attempting to enforce them would be an "Emporer has no clothes" moment in the relationship between government and the governed. It is impractical to think we could completely restrict even just people who have tested positive to their place of residence with 100% compliance. Even for that small segment of the population, we couldn't police their activities 24X7 for any significant period of time.

To try and enforce a mandatory stay at home order for everyone would result in massive non-compliance which would be visible to everyone. Leaders should be smart enough to realize that large numbers of people ignoring a government order which they cannot effectively enforce would redefine most people's impression of how powerful the government really is.

It doesn't stop government from implementing stupid gun laws that meet with significant non-compliance, however, that non-compliance is only visible to the small percentage of the populace that pays attention to the issue. A mandatory stay at home order for an entire community would be met with widely visible non-compliance. The view of government authority would take a huge hit.

Attachments

• 20200420_141824.jpg
    20200420_141824.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 8
This thread:

This seems like a case where self defense might have come in handy.... despite the ambush situation. Also supports the "always be carrying" idea.

The deterrent of armed citizens is still the best defense - this guy knew his victims would be unarmed. Armed victim changes everything.

Back
Top Bottom