• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mini "Walls of Steel"

On the 5th Sunday in May, the 31st, Wallum Lake will be putting on a "Mini" Walls of Steel match.
We will be having six stages of falling steel like the match in August but the cost is only $15 for one gun and $25 for two guns with a LIMIT OF TWO guns per shooter. We will be squadding so that each person may shoot both guns in the same squad.
There will be only one starting time of 10:00 AM with registration at 9:30 followed by a shooters meeting to go over the rules. We will have a 50% payout by Lewis Class and each shooter may enter any TWO classes. They are Stock Auto, Open Auto, Stock Revolver and Open Revolver.
All rules from Walls of Steel will be used. For rules and information check out www.wallsofsteel.com.
If you plan on attending please send me an email so that we may start arranging the squads accordingly. My email address is [email protected].
This is a 1 day event, so payouts will be made that day after all the scores are added up.
Lunch and drinks will be available on site that day.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have and hope to see you there.

Kimber45

Am I the only one that, when I see this thread title, reads it as:

Mini "Balls of Steel"?

[grin]

Rich

Jon,
How many guns are you shooting and is there anyone else coming I should know about? I am trying to pre-squad everyone to make it easier.

Jim

Just for squadding purposes, putaholeinit, how many shooters and what classes? stock auto, open auto, stock or open revolver?

On the 5th Sunday in May, the 31st, Wallum Lake will be putting on a "Mini" Walls of Steel match.
Kimber45, the website is a bit bare of information - seems to assume that the reader already knows what kind of match this is. For those of us who've never shot this before, what is it? Looks kind of like an IDPA match only with steel "pepper poppers"?

How many rounds should we bring? Are 9mms at a disadvantage due to the lower power factor? (and is the match full up yet?)

Kimber45, the website is a bit bare of information - seems to assume that the reader already knows what kind of match this is. For those of us who've never shot this before, what is it? Looks kind of like an IDPA match only with steel "pepper poppers"?

How many rounds should we bring? Are 9mms at a disadvantage due to the lower power factor? (and is the match full up yet?)
Ross,
I think the Mini-Walls of Steel will be six stages of about 20 to 30 pieces of steel each (maybe less). This most likely will include poppers, plate racks and other falling steel shot at maybe 10 to 12 yards.

You start with 10 rounds max in your gun and reload with 10 round magazines as needed. I think there is an Open and Limited division for both Semi-Autos and Revolvers.

I don't know the round count but 200 should be plenty. I didn't think that 9mm was a disavantage on all but one piece of steel at the 2008 WOS.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Dwarven1,
This match will have 162 steel falling targets. I know the count because we just finished painting each one.
The format is a shooter will go to the table with enough mags and ammo to finish the stage. When the RO starts the timer the shooter then starts firing until all of the targets are down or until he or she runs out of ammo. The time from that stage is added to the times from the other 5 stages. At the end the shooter with the lowest time on all six stages wins. We will be paying back using the Lewis Class system which means you can come in 20th place and still have a chance to win some money.
A 9mm is enough fire power for all targets. I personally will be bringing 250 rounds to be on the safe side.
Any other questions feel free to ask.

Kimber45

Last edited:
How big is each stage; IE; how many targets per stage? I only have about 6 mags for my .45, and only 4 for my K9 - so if it's more than 25 targets at once, I'd have to bring my CZ75 - got 7 mags for that.

Dwarven1,
There are no more than 30 targets per stage so the 6 mags you have for your .45 should be more than enough.

Kimber45

Dwarven1,
There are no more than 30 targets per stage so the 6 mags you have for your .45 should be more than enough.

Kimber45

Ouch... do the revolver stages have that many targets, too? I don't think I've got more than 2 speedloaders for any of my wheelguns.

Dwarven1,
This match will have 162 steel falling targets. I know the count because we just finished painting each one.
The format is a shooter will go to the table with enough mags and ammo to finish the stage. When the RO starts the timer the shooter then starts firing until all of the targets are down or until he or she runs out of ammo. The time from that stage is added to the times from the other 5 stages. At the end the shooter with the lowest time on all six stages wins. We will be paying back using the Lewis Class system which means you can come in 20th place and still have a chance to win some money.
A 9mm is enough fire power for all targets. I personally will be bringing 250 rounds to be on the safe side.
Any other questions feel free to ask.

Kimber45

Grin...will try like hell to make the match. As stated earlier, going to a wedding on Sat. Want to be bright-eyed and not "hung over" for the match. Will just have to leave early and make appropriate apologies.

As an aside....if my wife and I see you tomorrow, Wed, 5/27, will bring along those items I mentioned that I had for you. Grin, Randi is coming along. As you know its a long process. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom