Milton firefighter shot in Quincy in alleged road rage attack

They found him, he will be turning himself in.

Driving a porsche, living in Marina Bay.[rolleyes]

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/quincy-police-have-suspect-in-milton-firefighters-shooting

(myfoxboston) - Quincy police have confirmed that they have a suspect in the shooting of Milton firefighter Joseph Fasano.

The suspect is a 40-year-old white male and he is supposed to turn himself in sometime within the next hour or two.

After he does so, the Quincy Police Chief will do a press conference.

If he does turn himself in, he could be arraigned as early as this morning

Capt Duggan also confirms that last night, they impounded the man's car, a silver Porsche, and performed a search warrant for his house at Marina Bay.

The over/under is not good that this guy has an LTC and the firefighter has gotten way out ahead on the PR front being made the innocent victim here...

The over/under is not good that this guy has an LTC and the firefighter has gotten way out ahead on the PR front being made the innocent victim here...

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how this pup unfolds. The shooter is screwed no matter what. If he was a legit LTC holder and felt his life was in danger, he should have stuck and taken his lumps. Fleeing the scene - scared or not, justified or not, is automatic guilty in the public court. I hope the other asshat in this whole tragic scene is not made the heroic victim of this whole mess because of his occupation and medical condition - he's just as responsible for the 230gr in his gut as the idiot who pulled over and then pulled the trigger....

I just installed some halogen "back up lights" on my jeep for such an occasion
And then when you use them on the road and there's an unmarked car a few vehicles back, you will have a whole new life experience.

Years ago a techy friend of mine mounted one of the old camera "flash bars" into his rear window. They were throw-away flash bulbs that came in a pack of three or four. He had a switch so that each time he hit it, one would pop off. Being a flash bulb, they were incredibly bright, but brief.

A LEO saw him pop one off, and I don't remember the list of charges he had against him but the insurance surcharges made those flash bulbs worth about a grand apiece.

And then when you use them on the road and there's an unmarked car a few vehicles back, you will have a whole new life experience.

Often enough when I'm on the highway at night, some clown wll come barrelling up behind me.

When safe to do so I'll generally pull to the next lane for two reasons:

1) If it is a cop (and it often is!) I don't need the nuisance of being harassed by a po'd cop.

2) If it ISN'T a cop, I'd rather have clowncakes "clear the road" for me. A couple times over the years I've found said clown pulled over himself.

BTW, I like your avatar.

Leaving the scene and waiting this long to turn himself in does not look good at all. If he was really defending himself, he should have stayed and called the police. I am NOT HAPPY we now have another licensed individual in this state making the rest of us responsible people look bad.

Commonwealth Vs Klein defined the self defense law in Ma. In order to be justified in the application two elements have to be meet. 1. a fear of serious bodily injury or death and 2. no other means to prevent such harm. under the current fact pattern the shooter has not met the elements- he is screwed. If its true he cut off the victim and then got out of his car he is all done. He could have driven off, called the police etc. The shooter had other ways to avoid the use of deadly force. But because he is some rich A-hole he probably will get a deal most of us here would never get. Then again most of us here would not be so stupid as to actually shot someone in a situation like that.

Last edited:
"I am NOT HAPPY we now have another licensed individual in this state making the rest of us responsible people look bad."

Just wondering how this is going to effect the status of Quincy's rather new green status, can't be good any way you look at it[frown]

Commonwealth Vs Klein defined the self defense law in Ma. In order to be justified in the application two elements have to be meet. 1. a fear of serious bodily injury or death and 2. no other means to prevent such harm. under the current fact pattern the shooter has not met the elements- he is screwed. If its true he cut off the victim and then got out of his car he is all done. He could have driven off, called the police etc. The shooter had other ways to avoid the use of deadly force. But because he is some rich A-hole he probably will get a deal most of us here would never get. Then again most of us here would not be so stupid as to actually shot someone in a situation like that.

You're absolutely right. A car does have a little thing called REVERSE. He could have easily backed up and gone around him. My point is that him fleeing the scene and waiting so long to turn himself in makes him look even worse. Someone earlier in this thread put it very well when when they said a CCW means we must conduct ourselves at a higher level.

AS CCW holders we have to avoid conflict with a much greater zeal then a non CCW.

I hope the other asshat in this whole tragic scene is not made the heroic victim of this whole mess because of his occupation and medical condition - he's just as responsible for the 230gr in his gut as the idiot who pulled over and then pulled the trigger....

That's pretty presumptuous. The shooter fled the scene that pretty much assures that it wasn't a clean shoot.

The guy in the Porsche pulled over just like Joe did. As LTC holders we have a responsiblility to avoid situations like this. The shooter didn't and consequently is now charged.

One question I would like to throw out there....

If someone is involved in a clean shoot, can they still throw the "discharging a firearm within 500ft. of a dwelling" at you? The LEO that gave me the course said no, but we all know how often they're right.

BTW, Joe started talking yesterday so he probably gave the police a description of the shooter and the cops gave this guy an opportunity to turn himself in as opposed to being arrested.

I'm not buying the description of events. The guy comes out of nowhere, starts taunting the victim with his driving, pulls over the car, and then shoots him for no reason? Is it entirely possible? Yes. There is definitely a lot more to this story. Now, I still disagree with his actions, he should have drove away.

I'm not buying the description of events. The guy comes out of nowhere, starts taunting the victim with his driving, pulls over the car, and then shoots him for no reason? Is it entirely possible? Yes. There is definitely a lot more to this story. Now, I still disagree with his actions, he should have drove away.

As somebody who commutes up and doxn the xway on a daily basis I'm sure that there's some shared responsibility for the events leading up to this idiot drawing on the guy who now has a new hole in him.

How about two humans drinking alcohol.

Last edited:
I just turn on the inside light and wave my pistol around under it. The headlights behind me suddenly grow very small.
This is referred to as the "Linda Hamilton Technique" and yes, I know you were joking.

Willing to bet both parties were drunk. That makes everything alot more plausible.

Maybe it went something like this?

Porsche cuts off Joe
Joe hits horn flashes lights, issues one-fingered salute
Porsche break checks Joe
Joe repeats response
Both parties pull over
Words get exchanged, people feel threatened, shot gets fired
Shooter runs away
Victim regains consciousness and describes shooter
Shooter (son of rich developer) gets to turn self in instead of being arrested

How about two humans drinking alcohol?

2am on a Saturday, I would think there was A LOT of alcohol involved. Don't forget the coccaine too! If the victim was drunk and coked up, he could have been quite threatening. Again, should have never pulled over, but it could have been a large contribution to the outcome.

If we had an UNDO switch we'd never learn anything.
The entire economic system is based on the fact that people cannot undo the consequences of bad decisions. Just imagine the impact on the stock market if we had an "undo" feature for losing trades.

Son of Marina Bay developer O’Connell charged with Milton firefighter's shooting
Posted Dec 16, 2009 @ 03:12 AM
Last update Dec 16, 2009 @ 10:31 AM
QUINCY —A member of one of Quincy’s most powerful families surrendered to police Wednesday morning and will be arraigned on charges he shot an off-duty Milton firefighter during the weekend. Robert O’Connell, 40, the son of Marina Bay developer and former mayoral candidate Peter O’Connell, walked into Quincy police headquarters on Sea Street at about 8:15 a.m. with his lawyer, John McGlone III of Quincy, whose law office is in Marina Bay.

I'm so confused: why is he turning himself in if 'he had nothing to do with it?' Isn't surrendering almost admission of guilt?

Defense Attorney John McGlone vowed today that his client was innocent, saying that he expects him to be exonerated by ballistic tests which will prove that his .45 caliber handgun was not used in the shooting.

"He's shaken up," McGlone said. "He's being accused of a crime he had nothing to do with."

So if witnesses said a BMW was spotted at the scene, I should turn myself in just to cover all the bases?

Last edited:
Well, when the police impounded his car he may have caught a glimmer that they might think it was him.

I'm sure as someone suggested, they pulled a list of LTC holders in the area owning a car matching the description. If his 45 isn't the one that was used then perhaps they just have the wrong guy. He still has to go through the mill.

eta - If I found the cops were looking for me and I knew I was innocent, I'd be inclined to turn myself in too (after contacting Atty Cohen or Atty Scrivner of course)

Back
Top Bottom