Milsurp

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
From top:
  • Springfield Garand restored to June 1944 parts and reparked.
  • Harrington & Richardson Garand. Note "horseshoe" stock.
  • Danish Naval Garand with VAR barrel and fitted Wenig stock set for Garand matches
  • Mossberg 44US with new Birch stock and front hooded sight.
  • NPM M1 Carbine.

713970255_ipqRN-XL.jpg

How do you like the Mossberg? I thought about buying one when they were offered by CMP but never got around to it, now its just auction sites and the prices are getting up there.

very nice collection! and nice photo too!
Thank you. I have another H&R Garand I have to assemble. If you look closely at the barrel of the one above, you'll see there a spot of Parkerizing missing: this is a known series of very late construction. That rifle is dead reliable in matches, though I now use the Danish/VAR when I do get to shoot.

How do you like the Mossberg? I thought about buying one when they were offered by CMP but never got around to it, now its just auction sites and the prices are getting up there.
It shoots very well, I'm pleased. Paid $75 plus shipping for a "rusty reject," and it came with a deformed plastic trigger guard, ugly stock, but nearly perfect blued barrel and action and a Lyman micrometer rear sight.

Put on a new CNC machined trigger guard ($25), NOS stock ($25), hooded front sight ($18), bought two magazines, and with CCI Standard Velocity it prints tiny groups. Big money target rifles are better, but this is better than me. As you can see it's nearly the length of a Garand and "official" weight is 8.5 lbs though I've never weighed it to verify.

I wasn't that wild about putting the white into the numbers, but did so after I put it on a rack at a match and someone else started to walk away with it, since "they all look alike." It's tire marker and will come out with a toothbrush.

713970882_UT9jN-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom