• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Military move to MA; some questions for you

scatter

NES Member
Hello, I'm new. I know the "moving to MA" topic has been discussed a lot, and I did read most of the threads, but I have a kind of unique situation that I hope someone can shed some light on.

I'm active duty military with orders to MA next spring. Currently living in MD. I am from, and officially a resident of, OK.

I would like to apply for a Class A permit when I arrive. I own a G17 (3X17 round mags), a couple of <10 capacity handguns, and I expect to have a couple more by the time I get there, as well as a pump shotgun.

I am in the process of getting non-resident permits from UT and FL (expect them any day now). I do not have an OK resident permit. That requires an OK driver's license, which I don't currently have since I let it expire a while back and had to go get a MD license instead. A trip back to OK would fix that if I needed to.

So here's the question:
If getting the Class A is the deciding factor, should I become a resident? Is the likelihood of a Class A approval greater for residents vs. non-residents? There's nothing whatsoever in my record that would make me "iffy" either way.

And will having an OK resident permit increase my chances of getting a non-res permit in MA?

So here's my options:
1. Apply for MA non-res, having no resident permit from my home state
2. Go back to OK, get my resident permit, and then apply for a non-res when I move to MA.
3. Bite the bullet and become a MA resident.

Any thoughts/help?

And do I need to lose my 17 round Glock mags??

Stay the hell out of MA unless you have no choice. On the other hand, If you HAVE to relocate in MA for an extended period the best idea is to take MA residency in a solid green town. (look at the gun rights in your MA town thread).

You will have to dump anything that violates the MA AWB. Post-94 large cap mags, post-94 AR's in ban config, etc, are all out.

Also be prepared to have fun not having the right to buy whatever handgun you want. You will be mostly trapped within the confines of the compliance regs and whatever happens to be floating around on the secondary market.

The above are all reasons why its good to not take official residency in MA... if it's possible for you.

As far as getting a non-res MA permit goes, none of the stuff you mentioned has any bearing. You will follow the directions they have and obtain whatever certs they require. You will apply. You will have to wait months just to get invited to show up to Chelsea, in person, to get printed and photographed. You will wait some more. Then you will receive a hunting+target restricted license (meaning concealed carry isn't allowed on it) and possibly maybe get it unrestricted after the first year. You will get boned $100 a year for the privilege. This is the nonresident procedure in a nutshell.

Taking MA residency and getting a resident LTC is generally far easier (and less expensive) if you can pull it off, but it comes with the cost of having to have MA residency, which sucks all by itself.

It sounds like you probably have some decisions to make, based on where you are going to be commuting out to, etc. I agree with Navy Moose, if you are going to Hanscom, live in NH and keep your guns and freedom there. Everything is legal in NH, no permits required, unless you want to carry a loaded handgun on your person or concealed in a vehicle. Everything else is legal in NH by default... no begging for permission, no stupid AWB, or any of that garbage.

-Mike

Last edited:
If you DO decide to move to MA, stock up on 4 pistols that us MA peons cant get but can have transferred through individuals. Example: 3rd/4th gen glocks run at least a 100-150 premium if you resell them here. A Draco pistol has a premium as you cant buy one through a dealer. Look in the classifieds here to get an idea. Get your LTC and then transfer the 4 (4 per year sold individually) to individuals. Figure it is NOT a cheap investment but after you get the permit you can make at least 400-600 bucks for doing nothing more than selling them, and you will make some MA residents very happy. MAKE SURE you obey all laws doing this in regard to mag capacity, licensing, etc...

However, if you can, live somewhere else like NH.

You will have to dump anything that violates the MA AWB. Post-94 large cap mags, post-94 AR's in ban config, etc, are all out.

Also be prepared to have fun not having the right to buy whatever handgun you want.

I thought you could move to MA with anything that you legally owned in your previous state of residence? MA is so confussing. day by day I am more and more tempted by NH!

I thought you could move to MA with anything that you legally owned in your previous state of residence? MA is so confussing. day by day I am more and more tempted by NH!

Yes, as long as it didn't violate the MA AWB. The problem is most people don't have thousands of dollars sitting around to buy whatever handgun they thought they possibly could have ever wanted before moving into MA. You can still get what you want if you look hard enough, but it's non-trivial.

-Mike

As others have said - avoid it if you can, but the commute will definitely grate on you if going to Hanscom - you have to pile into the route 3/128 traffic jam or wind through on 119/route 2/2A... No good way to get there... only a 20-30m ride w/o traffic, but there's a big pipe-line of people going your way all at the same time...

As for green towns, Littleton, Harvard are close by and very green last I heard. Concord (Hanscom is wedged between Bedford, Concord and Lincoln) and Acton are green until you get into Machine Guns... Even then, there are many far worse... There may be some others near buy, but those are the ones I know about first-hand. Carlisle, Lincoln, Sudbury and Lexington were all non-green last I heard...

Last edited:
If you DO decide to move to MA, stock up on 4 pistols that us MA peons cant get but can have transferred through individuals. Example: 3rd/4th gen glocks run at least a 100-150 premium if you resell them here. A Draco pistol has a premium as you cant buy one through a dealer. Look in the classifieds here to get an idea. Get your LTC and then transfer the 4 (4 per year sold individually) to individuals. Figure it is NOT a cheap investment but after you get the permit you can make at least 400-600 bucks for doing nothing more than selling them, and you will make some MA residents very happy. MAKE SURE you obey all laws doing this in regard to mag capacity, licensing, etc...

I thought you needed an FFL to buy and sell guns for profit ?

Hello everyone, and thank you all for your responses. This looks like a really interesting group. Looking forward to joining you for a few years.

I won't be stationed at Hanscom. I'll be working in Cambridge. Long story. But wherever I wind up living, I want to carry in MA if at all possible. So the living-in-NH option doesn't help with that (but we are considering it anyway).

Sounds like I need to become a MA resident to have any hope of getting a Class A permit. That's OK I guess. Anybody have experience moving to the state, becoming a resident, and applying for a permit? I don't want to have a denial on my record.

Can I bring my 17 rd G17 mags?

Hello everyone, and thank you all for your responses. This looks like a really interesting group. Looking forward to joining you for a few years.

I won't be stationed at Hanscom. I'll be working in Cambridge. Long story. But wherever I wind up living, I want to carry in MA if at all possible. So the living-in-NH option doesn't help with that (but we are considering it anyway).

Sounds like I need to become a MA resident to have any hope of getting a Class A permit. That's OK I guess. Anybody have experience moving to the state, becoming a resident, and applying for a permit? I don't want to have a denial on my record.

Unless they are pre-1994 - NO! Federal AWB is still in effect here... Anything you couldn't get up until 2004 expiration is still a no-no here...

Run, don't walk away from Cambridge WRT to living arrangements... There are near-by green towns Woburn, Arlington last I checked...

Cambridge is overrun with commies (literally)...

Last edited:
Welcome to Assachusetts! You can bring the glock mags if they were made pre-94. If they're not you should start looking now for replacements.

Unless they are pre-1994 - NO! Federal AWB is still in effect here... Anything you couldn't get up until 2004 expiration is still a no-no here...

Run, don't walk away from Cambridge WRT to living arrangements... There are near-by green towns Woburn, Arlington last I checked...

Cambridge is overrun with commies (literally)...

Actually, Cambridge will issue ALP/PP at times. They're not as red as you would otherwise think.

I agree with the previous post of look for another town if at all possible. (look to the list of green vs. RED towns near there. (Arlington would be my choice).

I'm very sorry you'll be stuck in Cambridge. Sounds like a recruiting assignment from Hell. -Who did you piss off?

But all in all, if you can get a LTC restrictions NONE, it's not THAT horribly a bad place to be. I mean, hey, you could be in New Jersey or NYC right?

No prob on the mags as long as they are pre-94. Since the federal law on pre-bans expired, you may find a plethora in your local pawnshop. My advice? Buy lots and sell them here at a large profit. Also, make sure you check out the AG's Super Seecrit list of handguns that can't be sold in Mass. (Colt, Springfield Armory, Taurus etc.) Buy as many as you can manage to beg, borrow or steal to buy, register them in Mass. and sell them at a hefty profit. It ain't combat pay, but it helps.

-Bill

I'd suggest retirement or a career change before moving to Cambridge. That place is moonbat central.

Buy as many as you can manage to beg, borrow or steal to buy, register them in Mass. and sell them at a hefty profit. It ain't combat pay, but it helps.

-Bill

When did that become a requirement? I was under the impression that firearms that you bring with you into MA upon first move do not need to be registered. As we don't have a Firearm registration program in MA. We only register the sale of firearms in MA. So only firearms purchaced on his Permit or after obtaining his permit (ie purchace at Kittery) after moving into MA need to be Registered.

Drgrant or someone else...please let me know if I'm wrong on this one.

Then you will receive a hunting+target restricted license (meaning concealed carry isn't allowed on it) and possibly maybe get it unrestricted after the first year. You will get boned $100 a year for the privilege. This is the nonresident procedure in a nutshell.
One more thing int he nutshell - the non-resident permit does NOT allow the purchase of guns or ammo in MA (you would not be able to purchase handgusn in MA as a non-resident under federal law, so that limitation is from the department of redundancy department department)

Working in Cambridge? I'd still live in southern New Hampshire. Unless you have a real aversion to driving.

Actually, Cambridge will issue ALP/PP at times. They're not as red as you would otherwise think.

It's pretty non trivial, though. It's like Boston but the "Box" that applicants must fit in seems to be wider. It means you will still have to do a dog and pony show. I wonder if you have to do it again at renewal or not, haven't heard from anyone who has renewed an unrestricted in PRC yet.

-Mike

Aren't there some towns that will issue a Resident permit to AD military on orders to the town?

Yes, there are SOME. And there are some that absolutely will NOT issue to AD Military on orders to that town!!!

The OP needs to do some serious recon before committing to a domicle in MA! I also recommend NH and NOT MA!

Have you considered living in Somerville? It is right next to cambridge and is easier to get your unrestricted Class A. I did not have a problem getting mine.

Aren't there some towns that will issue a Resident permit to AD military on orders to the town?

yes.

OP, skip all that mumbo jumbo and get in contact with the chief of police of where you intend to live. ID yourself and go from there... IF you plan to live off-base, be very careful on the mags (see post #16) and any "evil" features on semi-auto rifles.... otherwise, it's a non-lissue. either ship the mags to your HOR while your here or throw em in with your house-hold good (mags, not guns)... unless you plan on knocking off a bank, make sure you use 10rd mags [laugh]

-if you have rifles with those "evil" features, leave them home (if you live on base), store them in your unit Arms Room, ship them home (HOR) or neuter them to use them in MA....

you CAN apply for a resident permit in the town you live in... some chiefs may try to tell you otherwise. go on mass.gov and see the definition of a "resident"

quoted here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ent-LTC-and-out-of-state-residency?highlight=

I also work at Hanscom as a civilian and I`m a SFC. in the USAR. I live in Leominster, a green town. You can drive to Alewife T station and take the red line into Cambridge if you choose. Any town west of RT.495 will be much cheaper than any town near Cambridge. My daughter lives in Somerville. Full of green yuppies and 20 somethings. At least you`ll have killer BHA.

Back
Top Bottom