• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Military Arms (e.g. M1 and 1911) 2-gun match: May 29, 2011

Interested in a rifle and pistol shoot using good old fashioned iron sights? How about bringing out the M1 and your favorite 1911 or the trusty S&W model 10?
Depending on the numbers of shooters, a Military arms two-gun match is scheduled for May 29, 2011 at the Harvard Sportsmen's Club, Action shooting pits.

Rifle and pistols used for each of the four planned "objectives" (stages).

Pre-registration is required and the match is subject to cancellation (if there aren't enough folks comfortable with the smaller capacities).

If you are interested and want details post or email [email protected]

Either one! Bring a wheel gun, the MIlitary and Police Mod. 10 if you want. Also, if you want specifics I can eamil you the details.

send me an email and I will send you the info. The idea will be USPSA like safety rules but more of an IDPA scoring, time plus.
It will be movement and targets like USPSA with some different targets thrown in for challenge. Sure, a S&W 1917 would be welcome!

The preference is for the WW2 era rifles but if that is what you have, we are considering a limit on the magazine loading to 10, to be more in line with the vintage M1's. Absolutely No AR's, that will be for the USPSA 3-gun fun.

How about a S&W Model 1917?

I'd like some details about the format, etc. I'd certainly be in for something USPSA-like.

send me an email and I will send you the info. The idea will be USPSA like safety rules but more of an IDPA scoring, time plus.
It will be movement and targets like USPSA with some different targets thrown in for challenge. Sure, a S&W 1917 would be welcome!

MARS - it might be easier on you (and us) if you write up a quick paragraph with as many details as you have and post it here. A lot of us seem like we would interested but need more information. Rather than have all of us send you emails and then you try to respond, a more formal and complete post here might be the easier solution.

Good luck with the shoot.

Aloha,
Doug

What equipment will be needed? I assume for pistols:

- holster
- 2 magazine carriers or three speedloader holders
- 2 magazines or three speedloaders

What do we need for the rifle? Is a sling required? How about magazine carriers? How many mags? How many rifle rounds per stage?

If I need to get some mag carriers for my M1 carbine, I want to start looking now. Speaking of which, anyone know where I can find a kydex M1 carbine holder? I can find a fabric m1 carbine pouch...

Last edited:
MARS - it might be easier on you (and us) if you write up a quick paragraph with as many details as you have and post it here. A lot of us seem like we would interested but need more information. Rather than have all of us send you emails and then you try to respond, a more formal and complete post here might be the easier solution.

Good luck with the shoot.

Aloha,
Doug

This please.

Sorry everybody- I am a novice here at NES.
by popular demand and good common sense (thank you), here is a shot at the general description and goal.

DATE; 29 May 2011 (Sunday)
Time: Shooters meeting 8:30 AM, Start at 9:00.
Where: Harvard Sportsman’s Club, Harvard, MA (Action shooting pits)
Cost: $20
Pre-registration by 14 May 2011 is required.

Objectives (“stages”):
Four objectives, using both your rifle and pistol. At least one reload for each and expected a round count of 20 or less for each. Expect the totals to approach 80 rounds of rifle and 60 pistol.

Equipment:
Mil. Spec’s is the primary goal,
Mod. M1 –Garand
Mod. M-1903
Mod. M1– Carbine
Mod. M1903
Mod. M1917
Alternatively. Mod. M1A1, M-14 or other Military issue rifle pre-1960, chambered for .30 cal or greater. Bolt action or semiautomatic welcome.

Mission Failure: AR15’s, M16’s and any other “modern” issue;
Leave all the optics and AR’s at base camp (home).

Side arms: Mod. 1911 or M1927, .45 is your primary objective
Mod. 10 Smith and Wesson M&P Revolver in .38
Mod. M1903
Alternatively, any single stack .45 to be loaded with 8 rounds of ammunition maximum for the duration of the Mission or any revolver with a caliber designation greater than .38

Other equipment;
Safe and secure (non-USPSA speed, type) holster (period appropriate would be appreciated but not required for this match;
Ammo pouches (pockets are fine too);
Rifle sling is optional;
Three magazines or reloads should be planned for.
Note: Pistols in a shoulder holster will be started empty.

Goal:
Enjoy an Action shooting event in memory of the Veterans of World War 2 and the Korean War while shooting authentic or replica military arms and venerable 1911 is also 100 years old! While the event will be competitive in nature, safety and FUN is the objective, in that order.

Sounds pretty fun. I may have to look around for a cheap Carbine in the near future, but feeding one looks ridiculously expensive.

Sorry everybody- I am a novice here at NES.
by popular demand and good common sense (thank you), here is a shot at the general description and goal.

Goal:
Enjoy an Action shooting event in memory of the Veterans of World War 2 and the Korean War while shooting authentic or replica military arms and venerable 1911 is also 100 years old! While the event will be competitive in nature, safety and FUN is the objective, in that order.

Very good posting this. Sounds good and I will have to work with my Garand some. [wink]

A: Sign me up. I'll be there.
B: Can I share a rifle with another shooter? I have a friend who would like to attend but who doesn't have a military rifle. Unless she can use my SMLE or my Mosin, that is.
C: A modern 1911 (like a SW1911) is OK, right?

Last edited:
A: Sign me up. I'll be there.
B: Can I share a rifle with another shooter? I have a friend who would like to attend but who doesn't have a military rifle. Unless she can use my SMLE or my Mosin, that is.
C: A modern 1911 (like a SW1911) is OK, right?

Sure, that should be fine

Objectives (“stages”):
Four objectives, using both your rifle and pistol. At least one reload for each and expected a round count of 20 or less for each. Expect the totals to approach 80 rounds of rifle and 60 pistol.

Equipment:
Mil. Spec’s is the primary goal, The Twins are Mil. Spec.
Mod. M1 –Garand
Mod. M-1903
Mod. M1– Carbine
Mod. M1903
Mod. M1917
Alternatively. Mod. M1A1, M-14 or other Military issue rifle pre-1960, chambered for .30 cal or greater. Bolt action or semiautomatic welcome.
The Twins can be fired in semi-auto,

Goal:

All he had mentioned is his post was shoulder-fired weapons. If you can shoulder a Ma Deuce...

All MARS listed are U.S. military firearms. Are you bringing a U.S. Mil.-Spec. firearms? [grin][wink]

To All Attending This Event: I do not mind going last. [smile]

All MARS listed are U.S. military firearms. Are you bringing a U.S. Mil.-Spec. firearms? [grin][wink]

To All Attending This Event: I do not mind going last. [smile]

wonder if a semiauto 1927 thompson in military configuration with 50 round drum would count as both rifle and pistol :D

Sounds like a blast, too bad will be away that weekend.

Last edited:
Yup. M-1 Garand & 1911. Alas, the 1911 will either be a modern S&W or it's going to speak English with an Argentine accent. [laugh] Unless I can get my buddy up from NJ with his new Remington-Rand, that is...

Depending on what MARS says, I'll either be sharing the Garand with my shootin' buddy or loaning her a Lee-Enfield. (Hey, they WERE our Allies...) But he hasn't said specifically yea or nay on the Enfield. My M1 Carbine is not reliable right now and needs the TLC of a good smith.

Although... after reading the packet, Adam, I don't think he's going to want you to use Ma Deuce, either. Somehow, I think that when folks have steel plate targets they want to use them more than once... and anything in .50 would turn a steel plate into Swiss cheese.

wonder if a semiauto 1927 thompson in military configuration with 50 round drum would count as both rifle and pistol :D

I'd think it's a "rifle" only. Shame you won't be there; it'd be GREAT to see it.

i'm trying to coax one of my friends to come to the shoot with me but i only have enough garand ammo for one shooter. does anyone have any extra they wouldn't mind trading for greenbacks? he still hasn't given me the yes or no so i may or may not need to purchase it off of you. PM me if you do. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom