• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Middlesex County Gun Buyback Idiocy

P-14

NES Member
Details here.

UPDATE: Cambridge & Several Other Communities in Middlesex County Partner to Host First Regional Gun Buyback Initiative

Community and faith-based organizations, five greater Boston area police departments (Cambridge, Arlington, Belmont, Somerville and Watertown) and the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office will partner to host the county’s first regional gun buyback initiative in June.

The regional initiative - modeled on successful efforts in Cambridge and several other communities in Middlesex County over the past three years - is focused on providing residents with a safe and secure way of removing unwanted firearms from their homes. Buyback events will occur throughout the month of June, beginning next week on June 11 in Cambridge, Arlington and Belmont, continuing June 18 in Watertown and concluding June 25 in Somerville.

“Nationwide more than 20,000 people commit suicide with a firearm and another 16,000 are injured in unintentional shootings each year,” said Middlesex Sheriff Peter J. Koutoujian. “Providing residents with an avenue to safely dispose of unwanted firearms makes our communities – and especially our homes – safer, and we are proud to support our partners in this effort.”

[banghead]

Can I sit by with a sign and legally buy C&R guns without an FFL if they do not have a license and I have a C&R?

The transfer would have to be done thru an 01FFL if they don't have a license. If they do then you can do the eFA-10 on it. Either way the transfer has to be recorded in the MIRCS system.

The Belmont Gun Buyback event provides a safe, no questions asked, no ID required, way for Belmont residents to dispose of unwanted firearms (working or non-working) and ammunition.

Gift cards vary from $25-$100 which sucks. Still, it would be funny if it became a sh*tshow of patched together worthless junk "guns" and old garbage ammunition. No ID required, no questions asked, so people from every town are welcome to come make this a "success".

Funny how some of these are the safest most incident-free towns imaginable yet they think this crap is actually making a difference. How many gun homicides has Belmont seen in the past 20 years? I bet its under 10 total including suicides. Solid problem they're solving, what a waste of time and money.

Gift cards vary from $25-$100 which sucks. Still, it would be funny if it became a sh*tshow of patched together worthless junk "guns" and old garbage ammunition. No ID required, no questions asked, so people from every town are welcome to come make this a "success".

Funny how some of these are the safest most incident-free towns imaginable yet they think this crap is actually making a difference. How many gun homicides has Belmont seen in the past 20 years? I bet its under 10 total including suicides. Solid problem they're solving, what a waste of time and money.
Belmont has 0 (zero) murders since at least 2002.
Same with Watertown (I guess the Tsarnev brother doesn't count...).
Arlington has a whopping 5, including the triple murder a couple years ago where some headcase pretending to live a normal life killed his wife and two kids before suiciding.
Cambridge and Somerville certainly have had more murders over the years.

Not that any of this matters for the purposes of "gun buy backs"... all of which are pointless PR charades.

It makes them feel better and that is what they really want. They don't want to make things safer, it is the look at what I did crowd.

I still don't get exactly how it is OK for a PD to encourage unlicensed people to transport firearms. Anyone who gets picked up that day for possession without a license should just say they were headed to this fiasco.

I still don't get exactly how it is legal for a PD to allow unlicensed people to transport firearms. Anyone who gets picked up that day for possession without a license should just say they were headed to this fiasco.

FIFY

Last edited:
Awesome. I've got a few old bolt action shotguns that barely work and no sane person will buy. I was thinking of turning them into floor lamps, but this will make money, not cost it. [smile]

No questiones asked...It would be great if someone turned in a Davey Crockett Morter lol

DavyCrockettBomb.jpg

The purpose of buybacks is to condition the public to believe that privately owned guns are bad, which is why the guns are always destroyed rather than examined, with quality guns going back into lawful commerce.

Everything else is window dressing.

VERY interesting update via Facebook, from someone that works in the APD:

"To clear up the confusion, if our armorer sees something of value, we direct them to a dealer. Most of the guns we receive are non-functioning, rusted and/or are in pieces. We would never take and destroy firearms that are worth a lot without letting the owner/person turning in know."

This is a new one for me. Never heard of a PD doing this before.

VERY interesting update via Facebook, from someone that works in the APD:

"To clear up the confusion, if our armorer sees something of value, we direct them to a dealer. Most of the guns we receive are non-functioning, rusted and/or are in pieces. We would never take and destroy firearms that are worth a lot without letting the owner/person turning in know."

This is a new one for me. Never heard of a PD doing this before.

PDs have gotten some bad press for destroying or nearly destroying things that have resale and/or historic value, like that StG44 that got turned in in CT a while ago that was thankfully intercepted by a knowledgeable officer and redirected to a museum.

Still pretty shady to take something you know is valuable from some little old lady whether they profit from it or melt it.

What a normal person would do is not be a dirtbag and not basically steal a valuable firearm from some old widow. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it doesn't make it any better that they're taking something of value and not melting it... It's basically stealing at that point if they are selling it or donating it to a museum.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

The purpose of buybacks is to condition the public to believe that privately owned guns are bad, which is why the guns are always destroyed rather than examined, with quality guns going back into lawful commerce.

Everything else is window dressing.

This. The real disturbing part is the condition of kids to believe that all guns, even fun toy ones, are bad...

"A $5 ice cream gift card will be provided to any children who turn in any toy guns."

Dammm...I should set up a table next to the police station in the 'hood with a sign that says "I'LL BUY YOUR GLOCK FOR 10% MORE THAN THEY'LL GIVE YOU" and buyback a few dozen from the Homeys... then re-sell them on NES or Gunbroker for double or triple what I paid the brotha for all his gen4's...

Just sayin'
[wink]

Dammm...I should set up a table next to the police station in the 'hood with a sign that says "I'LL BUY YOUR GLOCK FOR 10% MORE THAN THEY'LL GIVE YOU" and buyback a few dozen from the Homeys... then re-sell them on NES or Gunbroker for double or triple what I paid the brotha for all his gen4's...

Just sayin'
[wink]
Careful, an NES member who tried the "cash for guns" thing at last year's Waltham thing was threatened with the charge of "peddling without a license". I'm sure other cities have similar obscure laws that can be used to suppress.

I recall years ago, a cop at a pin shoot was telling a story about a widow who called the PD about someone coming for her late husbands WWll 1911 and he responded. He was showing it off and someone asked "What did you pay her for it" and he said "Oh,no...no no...", shaking his head.
I wonder how many buy back guns disappear that way.

I recall years ago, a cop at a pin shoot was telling a story about a widow who called the PD about someone coming for her late husbands WWll 1911 and he responded. He was showing it off and someone asked "What did you pay her for it" and he said "Oh,no...no no...", shaking his head.
I wonder how many buy back guns disappear that way.

Yeah, probably plenty of families have an old gun somewhere in a drawer or at the back of a closet that belonged to someone now deceased who was the licensed owner, only nobody has any interest in owning it and nobody has an LTC or FID either. Would be nice if we could educate the nonlicensed public on how to get firearms like that out of their homes and back into the stream of legitimate commerce without getting themselves in trouble. A nice old gun goes to someone who'll give it a good home and the family gets a few dollars for it.

Back
Top Bottom