MFS Needs Your Recommendations for Range Guns...

You have a point...I will rethink the .500. It is definitely a "wow" gun.
As long as your backstop can handle it without getting punctured or torn to shreds, it certainly leaves an impression on the shooter, and is actually available for purchase at many gun stores in this state without jumping through AG's hoops.

I like the suggestion of the KRISS. Personally, I think an older pre-ban semi-auto 9mm UZI would be a good investment. The gun is built sturdier than some cars I've seen, so wear and tear at the range would be negligable. Replacement barrels aren't a big investment. It's a very soft shooter with all that weight in it. I've had the chance to fire one at the S&W SSC a couple times... being such an iconic gun, it does turn heads. I remember the guy in the lane to my right kept getting pelted with ejecting brass, but it didn't wipe the goofy smile off his face as I fired off a couple 32 round mags. A post ban model would be fine as well, if the few hundred dollar premium for the IMIs was a concern.

Wow guns =
Under the current DCJIS interpretation of MGL, allowing someone to hold a machine gun, even under the direct supervision of someone who has a MG license, is a "transfer" (albeit very temporary) and not allowed unless the person holding the gun on a temporary basis also holds a MG license.

Sigs and Berrettas in addition to what you have. I would go with a wide variety of firearms types and manufacturers.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Under the current DCJIS interpretation of MGL, allowing someone to hold a machine gun, even under the direct supervision of someone who has a MG license, is a "transfer" (albeit very temporary) and not allowed unless the person holding the gun on a temporary basis also holds a MG license.

Right, I forgot that this state is so f-up.

Restate my statement.
Any FA firearm look-a-like in semi-auto only.

I think the KRISS is a great idea and for me, would qualify as 'wow', at least before I shot it. I have no idea what it's like to shoot so I can't say what I'll think afterwards.

I think full auto anything (except maybe .22lr) would be a bad idea in an indoor range. Plus, in MA, there's so many legal pitfalls that I wouldn't do it.

Massachusetts could F- up a wet dream, oh wait they just did...

I agree, but the range is not rated for rifle calibers. Would need to get a handgun-caliber AK (maybe Saiga variant?).

Duh my bad - then of course the old MP5 look alike .22's would be fun.
Maybe even some of those cool conversion carbines for the glock, 1911, etc.

Another vote for more Sigs - but none of that SigPro nonsense. A 229 in 9 and .40 would help a lot of people decide on what caliber their first handgun should be.

SOME WOW GUNS: 357/44 lever action, 44 desert eagle, anaconda, a 9mm 1911, some sort of pistol caliber SBR.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Not up on the laws for public ranges in MA, but MFL has them. Should have known MA.gov would ensure that that couldn't happen.

MFL has a select-fire KRISS, not semi-auto only? My understanding of the Hughes amendment to FOPA is that it is unlawful for any civilian to possess a machine gun registered after 5/19/86. Given that the KRISS is a relatively new design, any select-fire version should only be available to LE/MIL. Someone please jump in and correct me if I am mistaken.

A nice USPSA Open rig like an SV IMM or STI MatchMaster would have some "wow factor" to most, but A)it'll eat up half your budget, B)you'll have to spend half your time tinkering with it, and C)you'll have to spend the other half custom loading for it so maybe that's not a good idea after all [laugh]

MFL has a select-fire KRISS, not semi-auto only? My understanding of the Hughes amendment to FOPA is that it is unlawful for any civilian to possess a machine gun registered after 5/19/86. Given that the KRISS is a relatively new design, any select-fire version should only be available to LE/MIL. Someone please jump in and correct me if I am mistaken.
You are forgetting dealer samples.

Like M1911 said, Post-86 DS gets around this. The dealer basically needs to be friends with a CLEO somewhere, though, in order to pull this off.

-Mike

Like M1911 said, Post-86 DS gets around this. The dealer basically needs to be friends with a CLEO somewhere, though, in order to pull this off.

-Mike

So FFL + good CLEO relationship = potential dealer samples. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Like others said, a Sig 226 (or 229) and/or a Beretta 92 because it's nice to have a variety of grip sizes for newbies to try and these guns have large double stack grips. Although the new Sig E2 grip is thinner.

Also, not to split hairs I don't know if they have a SF Kriss , but I have witnessed someone firing a full auto Thompson. Also assumed it was a rental, didn't ask, but the way the person was handling and had assistance, looked like a rental. Last to be heard from me on the subject, didn't mean to thread jack.

UZI, if you want I would SBR it. Just for the Wow Factor.
Beretta 92FS
Beretta CX4 Storm, Maybee throw some Tacticool stuff on it again for the WOW factor.
Desert Eagle, the only problem is it needs FMJ ammo Lead = Bad. But really does have the Wow Factor

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom