MFS is building a second indoor range

How did the tests go?

The testing went ok. We were hoping to be able to integrate frangible ammunition right away. However, the ammo hits a little too hard for our backstop. Once we complete construction of our second range (a few weeks) we are going to modify our current backstop to handle the ammo.

We are likely looking at a January finish date.

We currently have 22,000 rounds of frangible .223, .308, and 7.62x39 in stock.

[shocked] [shocked] [shocked] [shocked] [shocked] Where does the majority of that $1,000,000 go????? It seems like it wouldn't be that expensive but clearly I'm off...

also, pics?

The steel used for the baffles/backstop and the HVAC are the biggest expenses.

Smaller bills like the electric for $40k or the ceiling and concrete work for $60k add to quite a bit of money.

range.JPG

This is a pic from last week. The ceiling was completed today.

The testing went ok. We were hoping to be able to integrate frangible ammunition right away. However, the ammo hits a little too hard for our backstop. Once we complete construction of our second range (a few weeks) we are going to modify our current backstop to handle the ammo.

We are likely looking at a January finish date.

We currently have 22,000 rounds of frangible .223, .308, and 7.62x39 in stock.

So does this mean that only frangible ammo will be certified?

Newbie Question, but where does 7.62x54r fit in to all of this, I thought it was similar in size to the .308. I have a Mosin-Nagant I wanna shoot, but if the cartridge is too big maybe I'll trade it in for a smaller caliber rifle.

We’re getting close…

We could have opened a few weeks ago but we purposely delayed the construction to incorporate some important upgrades.

For example we poured a lot of money into the range to improve the sound environment for those both inside and outside the range. We also upgraded the backstop.

I will try to post pics in a few days…

So when's the grand opening of range #2? I'm going to be getting myself a .308 rifle for Xmas and am hoping to play with it there Christmas week.

Next week we will complete most of the range.

Here is what we have completed up to now:

range1z.JPG

range2z.JPG

range3zz.JPG

We custom made the stalls using armor plates encased in particle board. The stalls will be coated with rhino guard.

hall1z.JPG

This is the view looking down the hall into the new section

halltoold.JPG

This is looking down the hallway to the original section of the building...the floor should be installed by now.

class5z.JPG

This is a one of the new classrooms we built

halltoclass.JPG

This is the hallway accessing the second new classroom

Last edited:
Excellent news! The number of members has grown immensely over the past 6 months (good), but the number of lanes has remained the same (bad). Plus the hours don't exactly cater to the 9-5 crowd most days, which means one has to wait in line for a half hour to get their turn. The range 20 minutes away and 25% of the cost starts to look much more appealing. This addition should hopefully alleviate that!

We're getting there...

We expect to make a lot of progress next week.

Just signed up for my range membership and am looking forward to some range time with my new gun. Question: When the new 12 lanes open, will the current 5 still be usable for a total of 17 lanes, or are the original 5 going away?

Last I checked, they had no clue when the 12 will be open. It's been "soon" for months now due to some issues. Until then, we just wait in line for the already limited hours they're open. Or don't wait at all depending on the day; the range was closed early tonight due to "problems with the backstop". Good times all around!

Just signed up for my range membership and am looking forward to some range time with my new gun. Question: When the new 12 lanes open, will the current 5 still be usable for a total of 17 lanes, or are the original 5 going away?

When the new range is open we will have a total of 17 lanes. Shortly after we open the new range we are going to close the old range for maintenance. We are also planning to modify the old range so rifle calibers can be shot there.

Last I checked, they had no clue when the 12 will be open. It's been "soon" for months now due to some issues.

Building a range is complicated and involves many moving parts. Any “issues” we have faced are simply what you would expect with such a large project. The new range will be done shortly.

Our project has been more than just building a new range. At the same time we are constructing a retail store and expanding our education and training department with the construction of two new classrooms.

All these projects will be completed soon.

Any confirmation as to rifles allowed yet? Have some 7.62 and 5.56 that I would love to come shoot if you guys are building for that.

When the new range is complete we will begin to modify the old range for rifle use. We are too early in the development of this project to estimate its completion. We would hope that by sometime in February we will be finished with the rifle modifications.

No, it's Feb for the rifle mods to the existing range.....

Logic would dictate that one would probably not start to modify range B until range A is open, particularly when you have a customer base of students and members who need to be serviced.

Back
Top Bottom