Metal Gun Locker

Walmart has 8 gun steel lockers for $100 + .97 cents shipping to your home.
Yes they are light duty, but they will keep you guns off the floor and keep them away from the kids. I just inherited 5 long guns and a pistol and my current safe is already stuffed.

Walmart has 8 gun steel lockers for $100 + .97 cents shipping to your home.
Yes they are light duty, but they will keep you guns off the floor and keep them away from the kids. I just inherited 5 long guns and a pistol and my current safe is already stuffed.

Link?

I used to own one, until some A-Hole pried it open and stole my 11-87. I guess if my house wasn't broken into it would have been ok. They are decent, but not very secure compared to a regular safe.

I used to own one, until some A-Hole pried it open and stole my 11-87. I guess if my house wasn't broken into it would have been ok. They are decent, but not very secure compared to a regular safe.

Apples to oranges don't you think? You can't really compare it to a safe.

BTW, to the OP this is the cabinet you have to assemble yourself if you didn't notice. I don't know if that matters to you, just an FYI. Still a good deal. Dicks has the ten gun's on sale once in a while for less. $89.99 I think.

You can beef up security on these with hasps bolted to them using large steel washers btw. Thats what I did when I used to store my guns in them.

I remember you posted a thread on that right?

Yep, this one I did had heavy duty steel rivets with fender washers behind them. You can put them top, side, and bottom and get padlocks. Ugly and a little time consuming but pretty effective at beefing up security on sheet metal cabinets.

100_0945.jpg

I would love a real gun safe. I have the room for it, but not in the budget right now. I even looked at industrial grade locking cabinets, but they were in the $500 and up range. So off the Wally World.

BTW, to the OP this is the cabinet you have to assemble yourself if you didn't notice. I don't know if that matters to you, just an FYI. Still a good deal. Dicks has the ten gun's on sale once in a while for less. $89.99 I think.

Dang, I GOOGLED "gun safe" "gun Locker" for about an hour before I ended up with Walmart. Dicks never came up on any of the searches. If I had seen it earlier I probably would have bit the bullet and got this one. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3377108
I did just get an email saying my Walmart one has shipped....and I really don't have the extra $80 right now. I can live with it.

I wasn't necessarily comparing it to a safe, just stating there are better ways to secure your firearms. I have another, which has padlocks similar to what SKS Ray has. They are nice for the money, and are far better than nothing. But are easily broken into unless you take extra security measures.

Came yesterday. Took a good half hour to assemble because of my big meathooks and the small nuts and bolts that came with it. I'm happy with it and was also happy to see that even though it came from Walmart it was MADE IN THE USA. I'll built a 24" base for it then bolt it to my basement wall.

There are a few other things you can do if you want to beef them up a little more.

1) Prying usually functions by bending the out-side frame and the door appart. You can reinforce these ares with some common angle iron and or square tubing. Measure the inside depth of the door (they're normally recessed) and pick up piece of stock that just fits. Cut the fill width and brace the door at top, bottom and either side of the lock (takes 4 bars) - If they use a veritcal bar lock, you'll need to cut the bar stock for the vertical locks. Then either add a full length piece to the open-side of the door frame to prevent it from bending or 4 short reinforcing bars horizontally from the inside of the door frame to the outer wall of the cabinate.

2) The locking mechanisms generally pass through fairly light metal and are typically somewhat weak. You can reinforce the cabinate frame that the locking bars pass through with a small piece of flat stock (target 1/8") with a cut-out for the locking bar to pass through. You can also replace the locking bars with stronger / thicker metal. You only need to reinforce the bard an inch or two into the door area, so you don't need to replace the entire locking bar on a vertical top/bottom locking system, just the last 3-5 inches.

3) When you mount it to the wall, select your bolt size (I'm a huge fan of 3" long 3/8" Tap-Con Stainless Steel Masonry Bolts) then pick out the largest fender washer that will fit that bolt. For even stronger mounting, pick up 2 pieces of 2" wide 1/8" thick steel bar stock and drill 2 holes that just fit your bolts the same spacing as the cabinate holes and use that as your "washer"

Yes, there's a lot of work described there and it's still not as secure as a proper safe, but for materials, you're adding $10-$20 to a $100 cabinate rather than buying a $500 safe and and you're ending up with something that will require a LOT of work to access.

If you're still worried about someone cutting through the side, reinforce the sides as described for reinforcing the door. 3 bars as the 1/4, 3/4 and 1/2 points. this will force someone cutting through to cut through the bar-stock as well as the thin wall.

For mounting, Rivets or the smooth headed cartiage bolts (have a square piece under the head to lock into a square hole) with the head on the out-side. With thin metal like the cabinates, torquing the bolt will draw deform the metal around the square hole to hold the bolt from turning while preventing it from being turned externally.

One other thing I did when I used sheet metal cabinets was bolt them together. I figured if someone were to try to take the cabinet if they couldn't get into it, they'd have a hell of a time carrying 3 bolted together.

I would also think that putting them in an area that would be tough to go through the sides would improve your security as well. For example, I put my safe in a basement corner, so there's only the front and one exposed side for people to try to break through.

Went in last Sat. Almost full already. I'm starting a safe fund...today.
gunlocker.jpg

I have the brown one that you have there. I lined it with 1 x strips and then used plank board and made shelves. That's what I keep my ammo in...

You know, you don't need a safe fund. Go see the folks over at Eastern Security Safes, tell them that I sent you....you can pick out a safe, pay on it over time and have them deliver it to your house.

I worked with Roger over there and it took me about a year to pay it off...but they will let you do that if you would like.

You know, you don't need a safe fund. Go see the folks over at Eastern Security Safes, tell them that I sent you....you can pick out a safe, pay on it over time and have them deliver it to your house.
Will they deliver it before it's paid off? :)

I have the brown one that you have there. I lined it with 1 x strips and then used plank board and made shelves. That's what I keep my ammo in...

I worked with Roger over there and it took me about a year to pay it off...but they will let you do that if you would like.

Awful nice suggestion. Lay away for a safe. I might have to get involved for one.

On a similar topic, anyone know where I could get some (preferably locking) metal cabinets? I'm thinking like utility type cabinets. The shelves need to be able to support some weight. Most of what I find online is either low price + high shipping, or high price + low shipping. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground...

On a similar topic, anyone know where I could get some (preferably locking) metal cabinets? I'm thinking like utility type cabinets. The shelves need to be able to support some weight. Most of what I find online is either low price + high shipping, or high price + low shipping. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground...

Go to Dick's, grab one of the gun cabinets and make your own shelves.

Back
Top Bottom