Menino whines to Congress because he doesn't have a clue how to do his job...

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Boston to press Congress for tougher gun laws
January 9, 2007

BOSTON (Reuters) - Boston, facing a spike in gun violence and murders, will press the new Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives to come up with tougher national gun laws, Boston's mayor said on Tuesday.

Thomas Menino, who has led a nationwide campaign against inner-city gun violence, said he would meet House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California in Washington this month to push for stricter gun laws.

"We need to convince Congress to pass common sense gun laws -- laws that punish immoral gun dealers and protect our citizens," he said in his annual "State of the City" address.

Menino, a Democrat, said police took more than 1,800 guns off of Boston's streets last year, twice as many as 2005.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Menino lead "Mayors Against Illegal Guns," a campaign that includes 123 mayors in 44 states, Menino said. It aims to get illegal guns off America's streets.

In September, the FBI released 2005 figures showing violent crime rising 2.3 percent, the first increase in four years, as a wave of murders and shootings hit smaller U.S. cities with little experience of serious urban violence.

Some experts have viewed the increase in violent crime as the result of law enforcement resources being shifted toward anti-terrorism efforts. Others attribute it to softer gun laws, budget cuts that have left fewer police on the streets and more people living in poverty.

Attempts at tightening gun laws are opposed by advocates of unrestricted access to firearms, led by the National Rifle Association, which wields enormous influence in Washington and backs candidates who support easier gun ownership in local and national elections.

There are more than 200 million guns in private hands in the United States, according to the Justice Department.

Boston recorded 74 homicides last year, one short of a 10-year high in 2005, Boston Police statistics show.

"Guns create fear that can kill our communities," Menino said in the 89-year-old Strand Theater in Dorchester, one of Boston's most violent neighborhoods.
Boston was a leader in halting violent crime in the late 1990s when politicians basked in what became known as the "Boston Miracle." Homicides dropped 77 percent between 1990 and 1997 and the city went for almost two years without a homicide against anybody under 18.

Menino blames the upswing in violence on illegal gun trafficking and weak federal and state gun laws.

<Pelosi> "Who the f**k is this guy?"... "What the f**ck is he mumbling about?"... "And who the f**ck let him in here?" </Pelosi>

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Menino lead "Mayors Against Illegal Guns," a campaign that includes 123 mayors in 44 states, Menino said. It aims to get illegal guns off America's streets.

How about getting illegal aliens and criminals off the streets first???

Attempts at tightening gun laws are opposed by advocates of unrestricted access to firearms, led by the National Rifle Association

OY! I can't type on this kid-friendly forum how that line gets me!

-= chuck

In September, the FBI released 2005 figures showing violent crime rising 2.3 percent, the first increase in four years, as a wave of murders and shootings hit smaller U.S. cities with little experience of serious urban violence.

I remember when this report came out, the FBI's disclaimer was something to the effect that the report is PRELIMINARY, and that it usually changes as ALL of the data comes in.

Well, I just looked up some stats at: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cvict_c.htm

Here are some nuggets for Mumbles:

"Violent crime and property crime rates in 2005, as estimated by BJS's National Crime Victimization Survey, are at the lowest levels recorded since 1973 - the first year that such data were available. The rate of every major violent and property crime measured by the survey fell significantly between 1993 and 2005. The violent crime rate fell 58 percent during that period, and the property crime rate declined by 52 percent. The number of violent crimes decreased from an estimated 11 million in 1993 to 5.2 million in 2005."

"Between 1993 and 2005 the overall rate of firearm violence declined from 5.9 per 1,000 persons age 12 or older to 2 per 1,000. In 2004 the rate was 1.4 per 1,000 and in 2003 it was 1.9 per 1,000. During 2005 offenders armed with a firearm accounted for nine percent of all non-lethal violent crimes."

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/press/cv05pr.htm

I'm still looking up more data and will post when I get it.

Last edited:
...laws that punish immoral gun dealers...

As opposed to laws that punish ILLEGAL gun dealers?

Typical statist prick politician - trying to legislate morality. What the hell is an "immoral gun dealer" anyway? A gun dealer who eats meat on Friday? One who practices pre-marital sex? Cheats on his wife?

So he wants "laws that punish immoral gun dealers, reagrdless of whether they are in violation of THE LAW. And, of course, the Democrats will insist that they alone get to determine what constitutes moral behavior.

Arresting and prosecuting anyone who fails to live up to Nancy Pelosi's "moral code".

Anyone else have a real bad feeling about this?

I don't think the problem here is that Tommy doesn't have a clue (though, I confess, he plays one well on TV). I think the problem is that Tommy doesn't want to face up to reality.

Now nearly 10 years ago, we had a very effective program in Boston. It was the result of an unlikely collaboration between the Police Commissioner (Evans), the District Attorney (Martin) and the United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts (Stern). The program was based on the fact, which remains the case today, that 95% of the problem in Roxbury/Dorchester was caused by a small group of sociopaths, as well as the recognition (at least privately) that the Massachusetts criminal justice system was incapable of dealing effectively with this reality.

So the unlikely troica agreed as follows: BPD would target the largely known group of bad people and arrest them, for whatever, discovering unlawfully carried weapons in the process. The DA would quickly process the cases through arraignment, and then arrange for them to be diverted to the federal system. The USA would then indict and prosecute these folks, generally successfully and with resulting serious sentences in sometimes far away federal institutions. (The most common count was "felon in possession," though the list of crimes for which convictions were obtained was quite long.)

As a result, the homicide and firearms assault rate in Areas B and C plummeted.

Tommy is quite familiar with this program BECAUSE HE CAMPAIGNED HARD (AND ULTIMATELY SUCCESSFULLY) FOR ITS TERMINATION! (As did the Boston Globe, which day before yesterday editorialized that what we needed was "more arrests.")

Tommy's (and the Globe's) problem: virtually all of the "customers" of this program were black. Well, duh, so were virtually all of the shooters (as, for that matter, were virtually all of the victims). Jeekers, you can't have the Mayor of Boston seen as a dude who is hard on blacks (whether or not they go around shooting and killing people).

Unfortunately, Evans, Martin and Stern are all gone. Whatever other issues one might have had with any of them, individually and collectively they had the integrity and courage to recognize the problem and the solution and then to implement it.

So, yes, a wringing of a politician's hands is sometimes symptomatic of cluelessness. However, it can also be (and in this case is) a sympton of gutlessness.

The latter, in my opinion, is a more serious offense.

RKG- nice write up of a nice way to REALLY address this issue. It's a damn shame people can't see thru Menino's shallow attempt s to really curb violent crimes.

I do have a questions regards to the illegal access to firearms. Since we know these scum bags are oftentimes lowly repeat offenders, going after them right the first time makes the most sense. But- isn't there any way to trace where all these firearms come from? I'm having a hard time believing that these firearms are purchased in MA and/or transfered from MA residents. Isn't there a trail regardless of where they came from? I have to imagine that Tom could work harder on that end... and I don't mean by putting a blanket statement to NH, ME and VT, etc to require stricter laws themselves. Sounds like he's taking the lazy way out...

I agree 100% RKG and the below is so very true...

So, yes, a wringing of a politician's hands is sometimes symptomatic of cluelessness. However, it can also be (and in this case is) a sympton of gutlessness.

I do have a questions regards to the illegal access to firearms. Since we know these scum bags are oftentimes lowly repeat offenders, going after them right the first time makes the most sense. But- isn't there any way to trace where all these firearms come from? I'm having a hard time believing that these firearms are purchased in MA and/or transfered from MA residents. Isn't there a trail regardless of where they came from? I have to imagine that Tom could work harder on that end... and I don't mean by putting a blanket statement to NH, ME and VT, etc to require stricter laws themselves. Sounds like he's taking the lazy way out...

I wouldn't want to give the false impression that I have any specific information, but I'm told that the bulk of seized semi-auto pistols come from one of the Carolinas.

I wouldn't want to give the false impression that I have any specific information, but I'm told that the bulk of seized semi-auto pistols come from one of the Carolinas.

Thanks. OK, so for arguments sake- let's go with the Carolinas. Isn't there anyway to trace them to the source(s)? Won't the feds cooperate in these situations? I'll admit I'm somewhat naive about these situations. However I'm always an advocate of getting to the ROOT of the problem.

I don't think the problem here is that Tommy doesn't have a clue (though, I confess, he plays one well on TV). I think the problem is that Tommy doesn't want to face up to reality.

Now nearly 10 years ago, we had a very effective program in Boston. It was the result of an unlikely collaboration between the Police Commissioner (Evans), the District Attorney (Martin) and the United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts (Stern). The program was based on the fact, which remains the case today, that 95% of the problem in Roxbury/Dorchester was caused by a small group of sociopaths, as well as the recognition (at least privately) that the Massachusetts criminal justice system was incapable of dealing effectively with this reality.

And what he fails to realize (or refuses to admit), is that the increased level of firearms/gang related crime is due in part to the thugs that were locked up as a result of that program ("Operation Ceasefire"), have served their time and are returning to their neighborhoods seeking to reclaim their turf.

Time to round'em up again (along with the newer breed of miscreants), for some heavy duty hard time.

It worked once before and it'll work once again, but because of the reasons you stated, that will never happen (even more so with Patrick in office). [angry]

Thanks. OK, so for arguments sake- let's go with the Carolinas. Isn't there anyway to trace them to the source(s)?
And exactly what, Dave, is that going to do about the murdering thugs on the streets of Boston?

Fine, so they don't have guns. Next they'll start with machetes, knives, baseball bats... And the strange thing is that whether someone is killed with a knife, gun or a baseball bat, they all have one thing in common: s/he is DEAD.

The guns are NOT the issue here; they're a smokescreen (and a damn good one,too, if you're falling for it along with all the Bostonians who keep re-electing that idiot).

And exactly what, Dave, is that going to do about the murdering thugs on the streets of Boston?

Fine, so they don't have guns. Next they'll start with machetes, knives, baseball bats... And the strange thing is that whether someone is killed with a knife, gun or a baseball bat, they all have one thing in common: s/he is DEAD.

The guns are NOT the issue here; they're a smokescreen (and a damn good one,too, if you're falling for it along with all the Bostonians who keep re-electing that idiot).

Ok Ross- so I'm falling into the liberal trap right? Let's face it the problem is the scums on the streets we know that... but guns are involved. And if we want to ignore that fine. Point is there is illegal activity going on BEFORE these shootings occur as well. It is part of the problem too. I'm not saying we need more gun control at all... but the reality is Ross- if this keeps getting worse it WILL impact us. My question, suggestion was how do stop illegal gun traffic... which is a problem IMO.

Fix these problems and let the AG go after bat and knives later. It's probably next anyway.

Ok Ross- so I'm falling into the liberal trap right? Let's face it the problem is the scums on the streets we know that... but guns are involved. And if we want to ignore that fine. Point is there is illegal activity going on BEFORE these shootings occur as well. It is part of the problem too. I'm not saying we need more gun control at all... but the reality is Ross- if this keeps getting worse it WILL impact us. My question, suggestion was how do stop illegal gun traffic... which is a problem IMO.

Fix these problems and let the AG go after bat and knives later. It's probably next anyway.

You are playing RIGHT into the antis' trap to ban the private sale of firearms.

And you didn't even realize it.

Speaking of smokescreens and mirrors...

Mumbles is always quick to point out that "most" crime guns come from out-of-state.

Well...DUH!!!

Look at a map of the US recently? Massachusetts is but a tiny little piece of it all. I would certainly expect "most" of the gun sused in crime to come from out of state.

What he NEVER tells you is that year after year, MASSACHUSETTS tops the list of individual states "supplying" criminals with guns (approx. 40%).

I would expect the balance, coming in to MA from out of state, to be WAY higher, based solely on geography. The biggest problem is not guns coming INTO massachusetts, it the the criminals in Massachusetts, committing crimes using the guns that ar already IN MASSACHUSETTS.

Of course to recognize that reality might mean his entire philosophy is flawed, so Mumbles just ignores it and spreadds misinformation to make himself look good.

And, the mindless zombies in that city buy that shit up like it's going out of style.

Sad.

Ok Ross- so I'm falling into the liberal trap right? [snip]
Yup, you swallowed it hook, line and sinker. Get rid of the hoodlums on the street and the problems go away. That's all there is to it.

Menino, a Democrat, said police took more than 1,800 guns off of Boston's streets last year, twice as many as 2005.
Here's a suggestion if only there were somebody with at least a single brain cell out there listening: Forget about the 1,800 guns. Take the 100-200 punks off the street who keep buying those guns and using them to kill anybody who looks at them the wrong way. That, and only that will do squat to eliminate the "gun violence" problem. Unless of course you've got proof that those guns are running around on their own without any people within contact distance, shooting people at random.

Attempts at tightening gun laws are opposed by advocates of unrestricted access to firearms, led by the National Rifle Association, which wields enormous influence in Washington and backs candidates who support easier gun ownership in local and national elections.

Reality check: I'd be willing to bet that the NRA would be more than happy to support any additional laws you might like to propose that would increase the penalties for (1) the goblins mentioned above who run around shooting other people, or (2) people who knowingly provide guns to those goblins. They'd also be in favor of more police to enforce those laws. They might ask in return that you do something like no longer attempting to destroy the lives of law abiding citizens and businessmen who do nothing more than make minor bookkeeping errors with no demonstrable criminal intent or effect.

Ken

its simple...

Ross and others you are correct... it aint the friggen gun.

Menino is a gutless person, along with Bloomberg, they are suckering
the public into believing that restricting the supply with solve the problem,
well it won't........

How about life sentence with no parol for these offenses....period.

No more bullshit, you will soon a sharp decrease in the sorts of problems
in Boston....

Simple, but that of course solves the problem... their ain't no grand standing
and fist waving about "how he's gonna solve the problem" no heroism
nothing...

Think he might be afraid he might become a victim?????????????

JimB

It's not the infestation of illegals.[thinking]
It's not the dirt bags coming in for a free "Welfareachusettes" ride.[thinking]
It's not the limp dicked judges not handing out tougher sentences.[thinking]

It's got to be the guns!!!

Doing a great job Mumbles...keep up the good work... you ignorant fat bag of pus.

You are playing RIGHT into the antis' trap to ban the private sale of firearms.

And you didn't even realize it.

Honestly I don't see it... really. So you're right. Let's face it- there have to be lots of illegal trafficing going on. Illegal is illegal... should we ignore this? I DO NOT want to ban private sales of firearms... but if someone knowingly sells guns illegally or brings firearms into MA illegally they should be punished to the full extent of the law. It seems pretty simple to me.

Yup, you swallowed it hook, line and sinker. Get rid of the hoodlums on the street and the problems go away. That's all there is to it.

Yes... but who is selling these illegally to the hoodlums? They should get thier fair share too. I hope we'd at least agree to this.

That would be the problem of whichever Carolina it's happening in.

What WE should be worrying about up here in Mumblestan is putting Menino's feet to the fire and demanding that he stop blowing smokescreens all over the place and do what he needs to do - what his people did 10 years ago when they put these animals away.

Have I mentioned lately that I not only hate this state, but Mumbles as well?

It's NOT the freaking guns. It's the freaking court system that does NOT punish the criminal. It's the freaking DA's who do deals for less time to get someone else. It's the bloody GD "get out of jail early cuz you've been a good boy/girl" parole board. Give me a F'ing break.

Okay - not that it will do any good, but WE, the people of MA, know exactly how Mumbles is NOT doing the law enforcement thing. So...everyone write to good ol' Bella Pelosi and TELL her that.

Gee isnt it funny how VT a state with no pistol permits , that anyone who hasnt been convicted of a domestic misdomeanor or a felony can carry concealed weather they are a VT resident or not, has the lowest homicide rate in the country.
Its not the quality of gun laws, its the quality of the people living in certain places.

Back
Top Bottom