Medical Marijuana and Guns

I was watching one of those cop shows last week,they were looking for a poacher and went to a home of a friend/relative who grows medical Mary Jane they had .22 AR.

Nothing happened looks like that's gonna change

Maybe the state of California will revolt , tell the ATF they only get jurisdiction in interstate commerce and
california will issue their own in state dealer licenses ....

Or maybe a few lawyers will get fat paychecks and nothing happens.

but people can drink alcohol and still own firearms.....that makes a lot of sense.
At the end of the day, yes, this whole thing is non-sense. I'd just rather see responsible behavior that has been made illegal in places like CA and MA (i.e. owning a 30rd AR magazine, or an AR with a flash hider and collapsing stock) dealt with before pothead's 2A rights are squared away.

At the end of the day, we need to end the war on drugs and stop all this nanny-state non-sense, but for me its a matter of priorities.

At the end of the day, yes, this whole thing is non-sense. I'd just rather see responsible behavior that has been made illegal in places like CA and MA (i.e. owning a 30rd AR magazine, or an AR with a flash hider and collapsing stock) dealt with before pothead's 2A rights are squared away.

At the end of the day, we need to end the war on drugs and stop all this nanny-state non-sense, but for me its a matter of priorities.
i agree there are bigger issues related to 2A, but if medical marijuana helps my best friend from having the cancerous tumor that he just had removed from coming back, i dont want to see his guns taken away and his rights trampled on.

i agree there are bigger issues related to 2A, but if medical marijuana helps my best friend from having the cancerous tumor that he just had removed from coming back, i dont want to see his guns taken away and his rights trampled on.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing about pot that stops tumors from coming back. It's used because it makes people feel better when they're going through chemo or other cancer treatments. If it prevented cancer, we'd all be smoking it.

its really disgusting if you stop thinking of it as pot and think of it as medicine. It is an intoxicant, and firearms shouldn't be used under the influence, but lots of medicines doctors give out are intoxicants. should u lose ur guns when u have wisdom teeth out and get a vicodin script?

That's interesting. If you follow the link to their cite, and then poke around a bit, you find this piece:

No clinical trials of Cannabis as a treatment for cancer in humans were identified in a PubMed search; however, a single small study of intratumoral injection of delta-9-THC in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme reported potential antitumoral activity

Hardly conclusive, but it's still news to me.

Well I suppose I would rather see assault weapons bans repealed first too, because that directly affects me...

But I disagree with the main point of your argument. I think gun ownership & medical marijuana issue is equally important if not more important.
It would serve to support or establish that 2A is truly a fundamental right and can't be denied based on rather trivial and non-violent circumstances.

Well I suppose I would rather see assault weapons bans repealed first too, because that directly affects me...

But I disagree with the main point of your argument. I think gun ownership & medical marijuana issue is equally important if not more important.
It would serve to support or establish that 2A is truly a fundamental right and can't be denied based on rather trivial and non-violent circumstances.
Unless they also overturn the broader drug prohibition, then it will be a narrow ruling...

Yes, its possible that a good lawyer might be able to dive through a door opened by the opposition to this, but more often than not, they don't...

its really disgusting if you stop thinking of it as pot and think of it as medicine. It is an intoxicant, and firearms shouldn't be used under the influence, but lots of medicines doctors give out are intoxicants. should u lose ur guns when u have wisdom teeth out and get a vicodin script?
all depends on how often you are using it. i have pain pills for my back, but i dont take them everyday/all day. i have access to alcohol, but i dont drink every day all day. if marijuana is issued for pain, its your responsibility to keep that and guns separate, just like im sure everyone here does with alcohol.

all depends on how often you are using it. i have pain pills for my back, but i dont take them everyday/all day. i have access to alcohol, but i dont drink every day all day. if marijuana is issued for pain, its your responsibility to keep that and guns separate, just like im sure everyone here does with alcohol.

Absolutely agree, but the idea that someone lose their guns because they have legal access to marijuana, just like we all have legal access to alcohol, is ludicrous. Now if they are found using firearms under the influence, then fine, they should face the same penalties as those found under the influence of alcohol would. I realize it's much harder to tell in most people, but that point is moot imo.

ATF says that medical marijuana users are prohibited.

So a government organization that broke the law and sold guns to drug dealers and other criminals is saying that people who take a particular medicine are prohibited from owning guns? They only want the illegal marijuana dealers/users/trafficers to have guns?

Absolutely agree, but the idea that someone lose their guns because they have legal access to marijuana, just like we all have legal access to alcohol, is ludicrous. Now if they are found using firearms under the influence, then fine, they should face the same penalties as those found under the influence of alcohol would. I realize it's much harder to tell in most people, but that point is moot imo.
i agree 100%

No argument... Adults should be able to decide to impair themselves as they see fit, whether permanent or temporary - but they must also pay the full cost for the consequences...

True, but what's the worst thing a gun owner high on pot is going to do? Build a new gun rack/bong? i dunno. I can't see taking away someone's fundamental rights because they smoke.

Isn't disclosing someones medical history a flagrant HIPA violation? All narcotics are controlled substances. Why is our government deciding that it's OK for persons who have firearms and a scrip for Valium, Percosett, Oxycodone and the like but not Marijuana. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. First they come for the pot smokers then anyone with a scrip for a drug they don't like. It looks like our government will take any opportunity they can to deny citizens 2A rights. It only took lawmakers 10 years to figure out prohibition on alcohol wasn't going to work. We've been fighting the drug war for 30 years now and nothing has changed. Just like in the old days the prohibition on drugs is making criminals rich and costing lives. When was the last time you got up in the morning, watched the news and didn't see a story about how someone on drugs or trying to find the money for drugs committed an unbelievable crime? It's time to stop the insanity.

True, but what's the worst thing a gun owner high on pot is going to do? Build a new gun rack/bong? i dunno. I can't see taking away someone's fundamental rights because they smoke.

Well that's kind of like someone stoned driving. It's illegal and I, personally, think you're a dick if you do it, because you're endangering others regardless of how well you think you can handle yourself. However, stoned driving, in most people, is certainly safer than drunk driving.

Back
Top Bottom