• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ME non res LTC

I live in MA(go ahead and have pity on me), and I would like to get a Maine LTC. Does anyone know how I can go about this?

Last I knew you have to call the state police and leave your name and address on the answering machine and they send them right out. I still have my app. that I order a while ago but you have to get your own pictures and I have just been too lazy to do it.

I believe I downloaded my app online and mailed it in.

The non-res is like something I could make at home with my lamination machine.

Real cheap.

Just looked at the application and it reads worse than a Mass resident one. I can barely make sense of it.
Plus its $60 and NH was only $30 and half the trouble. Who'd have guessed Maine was so tight compared to NH?!

Hey thanks, as always. I found it on the state police site. The only thing I'm afraid of is the question that says:

To your knowledge, have you ever been the subject of an investigation by any law enforcement agency within the past 5 years regarding the alleged abuse by you of family or household members.

I've never been involved in any abuse but I had a restraining order put on me for non violent reasons and there was never any conflict or confrentation it was pretty much matter of fact, but the cops questioned me quite a bit and that is technically an investigation.

If I answer yes do I get denied?

If I get denied I know that goes on my permanent LTC record.

Just looked at the application and it reads worse than a Mass resident one. I can barely make sense of it.
Plus its $60 and NH was only $30 and half the trouble. Who'd have guessed Maine was so tight compared to NH?!

And Mass Non-res is $100/year! [grin]

Hey thanks, as always. I found it on the state police site. The only thing I'm afraid of is the question that says:

To your knowledge, have you ever been the subject of an investigation by any law enforcement agency within the past 5 years regarding the alleged abuse by you of family or household members.

I've never been involved in any abuse but I had a restraining order put on me for non violent reasons and there was never any conflict or confrentation it was pretty much matter of fact, but the cops questioned me quite a bit and that is technically an investigation.

If you answer *no* and they think you are lying - they will definitely deny it.

I would consult a lawyer or at least read the actual law where it states the reasons for possible denial. In either case you might have to attach a letter describing details about your RO.

Good luck!

Bobkatt,

I've had very good luck emailing the Sgt point of contact listed on the ME website. I had a question filling out our permits and he responded within a day. Of course, for your situation, he's not a lawyer but I presume because he is the POC, he's the one who is doing the investigation so there's certainly no down side of talking with him in advance of filing, IMHO, IANAL etc...

We (my wife and I) submitted our apps in the Jan/Feb time frame. The check has been cashed for some time now, and we're just waiting the arrival. NH was significantly faster! Yes, we needed to send all 10+ pages including copies of our MA LTC as well as a recent (within 5 years) photocopy of attending a basic approved firearms course + 2x2 photos.

ME is hurting revenue-wise and the $$$ doesn't compare to NH, but the law is the law (isn't that a Judge Dredd quote?) Good luck and post-back when you know more.

-ed

ME looks much harder than it is. Fill out the form, send a check and two passport sized photos as well as your MA LTC. Wait about three weeks. ME is SHALL ISSUE even for non residents. I've done it twice, it's really easy.

I understand that RI NR permits are issued by the Attorney General's office. Used to be easy, but now is almost impossible. I've never tried, so I don't know for sure.

CT is fairly easy, the CSP does it. I have the packet, but haven't done it yet.

VT is the toughest of all. No matter what you do, they just won't issue a NR LTC! [wink]

Gary

I believe you NEED to have a license from your home state to get a nonres anywhere.

Incorrect. You do not need a home state license to apply for a non-res in Florida. Which is why you have to send them evidence of training (acceptable list is in the packet) and a card with fingerprints.

Thanks for the help, all. I emailed the officer whos email address is listed on the licensing website with my question. I'll let you know if I hear from him.

How does everyone usually go about getting their 2x2 photos?

Thanks for the help, all. I emailed the officer whos email address is listed on the licensing website with my question. I'll let you know if I hear from him.

How does everyone usually go about getting their 2x2 photos?

CVS takes photos for passports and it should work for this. They can resize to any size with the machine they have in the store.

Does anyone know the deal in NY? If I was to travel from Boston to NY, would I need to register in each state I travel through or can I just lock it in the trunk until I get into NYC?[thinking]

Does anyone know the deal in NY? If I was to travel from Boston to NY, would I need to register in each state I travel through or can I just lock it in the trunk until I get into NYC?[thinking]

BigD,

In case you missed it, here's a similar question but for a different state (PA).

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34134

Alternatively or in addition, here's what the NRA is suggesting:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

Good luck figuring out the requirements for each state you pass through regarding transport. Locked and in the trunk would seem logical but logic and gun laws don't always weigh equal.

-ed

Ed, thanks for the info. It looks like NY is tuff unless you are going to a NRA competition and can prove it.

NRA website for NY:

NEW YORK--The transportation of handguns is prohibited except by a resident with a license to carry.

A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a separate locked container.

Nonresident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for purposes of any NRA-approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license or firearms registration card from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a fully opaque container.

New York State has strict laws governing illegal possession of handguns which can result in a possible seven-year jail sentence for offenders.

Caution--New York law presumes that an individual stopped in possession of five or more handguns, without a state permit, possesses the handguns for illegal sale, thus subjecting this person to an increased sentence.

Caution--New York is the only state that prohibits the transportation of handguns without a license. Travelers should therefore be particularly careful since they face severe consequences should they inadvertently violate the state's highly restrictive statutes.

NEW YORK CITY--A city permit is required for possession and transportation of handguns and long guns. New York State handgun permits are invalid within the city limits; however, New York State residents may transport their licensed handguns unloaded through the city if these are locked in a container and the trip is continuous. Long guns may be kept in the city for only 24 hours while in transit and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container or vehicle trunk for the period.

New York City forbids possession of an "assault weapon," which includes various specified semi automatic rifles and shotguns, or revolving cylinder shotguns. It is unlawful to possess an "ammunition feeding device" capable of holding more than 17 rounds in a handgun, or more than 5 rounds in a rifle or shotgun.

In all cases, the general rule should be observed. The New York State law on illegal possession applies to the City as well

Caution--New York is the only state that prohibits the transportation of handguns without a license. Travelers should therefore be particularly careful since they face severe consequences should they inadvertently violate the state's highly restrictive statutes.

Crap, talked about trapped in New England. Thank God we're always going North. I guess that leaves you flying over the State, taking an ocean boat around the State, perhaps driving around the State via Canada, or if you have a good arm and can drive fast, throwing it across the border into PA. I know one poster in a different thread mentioned problems with NJ as well.

Let us know how you do and best of luck.

-ed

I emailed one of the officers on the web site and here was his response:

A restraining order would show up in our background investigation and
could be used against your for determining good moral character. If
you
were investigated by a Law Enforcement Agency, then you would have to
mark yes. Please check with your local agency to see your status.

I still don't Know if I was investigated by the Law Enforcement Agency, but I think he is suggesting that if I contact that agency, they will let me know. So that is what I am going to do. I'll post news when I get it.

Once you have MA you can get the app for NH online. Cost $20 and takes a week. ME you need to call for and it is $60 and is a pain but you get it in 2 months. Don't bother with RI. It is such a pain. I just avoid the State for that reason.

A restraining order would show up in our background investigation and
could be used against your for determining good moral character. If you were investigated by a Law Enforcement Agency, then you would have to
mark yes. Please check with your local agency to see your status.

Bobkatt,

Better to err on the side of openness and completeness than to give ME any additional ammunition. I believe, from poor memory, that if you answer yes, they want an explanation sheet. IANAL, but I would presume that this sheet is your opportunity to show that despite the situation, you are still of good moral character. You may wish to consider including character references: letters of support from local pastor, local LEO, others that might support your good moral character.

I look back at my youth (lasting (continuing?) well past when it should have) and can't believe I'm even standing here today. Had I ever once stopped to consider the impact my youthful actions may have had on my ability to carry, it would have scared me straight into priest-hood. (Okay, maybe not but you get my point). Anyway, I know it's money, but consider consulting with a lawyer if only to discuss the potential costs and options...

Good luck and again, keep us in the loop.

-ed

How long ago was it, could you wait for 5 years to pass and avoid the issue all together? I would talk to a lawyer anyway, because he/she can help you describe the situation in a manner that is accurate and doesn't damn you (if you try too hard to explain you could screw yourself). Good luck.

?????

Hi. Is there any other benifit to getting the non-res other than transport ?? Easier purchases????? Thanx Stash

Back
Top Bottom