Converting Non Res to Res Permit to Carry

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Before I call the MSP I'll ask here first.

Do I need to get a new safety certificate in order to convert my current license to resident?

I've had a MA LTC for almost 40 years. I've had my Non Resident Maine and NH permits about 20 years if not longer. They have never expired.
I've looked at the application and if it says it, I didn't see it. I only see "new" applicants. I'm not exactly a new applicant with such a long history.

I don't want to hear about Constitutional Carry. I'll maintain my NH Non Resident but will most likely not bother with a neutered MA LTC. Not planning on returning much down here anyway.

I would call ME SP. I had a few questions over the years and they were very good about answering and holding to the answer (it's not like MA). I suspect that they won't require a new cert, but best to ask. If they have a discoverable Email address, it might be best to ask there as you'll have documented proof of the answer.

I would call ME SP. I had a few questions over the years and they were very good about answering and holding to the answer (it's not like MA). I suspect that they won't require a new cert, but best to ask. If they have a discoverable Email address, it might be best to ask there as you'll have documented proof of the answer.
Great point but I want the card. One foot is already moved there.

The first time I applied (probably 10 yrs ago), I contacted them and asked if I really need to take a course, since I teach those courses. ME SP told me no, just submit a copy of my NRA Instructor certificate. They are quite reasonable. [In contrast, MA FRB wouldn't allow that.]

Do you still have a copy of your older safety certificate? If so, they should take that. They took mine and at the time it was 8 years old.

As for your second comment - IMHO I would get a MA NR LTC, I recently got mine and it was about 2.5 months from start to finish. It was unrestricted. Yes, going to Chelsea can be a pain, but you only have to do it once every 5 years. Once you get down there you can park in their lot, so there is no driving around looking for parking. So its less painful in that regard. Its right off Route 1, last exit before the bridge.

The problem I had was to get to certain places I was going in NH, it was easier to drive through Mass, so I got it for that, plus I do visit Mass enough to make it worth it.

Do you still have a copy of your older safety certificate? If so, they should take that. They took mine and at the time it was 8 years old.

As for your second comment - IMHO I would get a MA NR LTC, I recently got mine and it was about 2.5 months from start to finish. It was unrestricted. Yes, going to Chelsea can be a pain, but you only have to do it once every 5 years. Once you get down there you can park in their lot, so there is no driving around looking for parking. So its less painful in that regard. Its right off Route 1, last exit before the bridge.

The problem I had was to get to certain places I was going in NH, it was easier to drive through Mass, so I got it for that, plus I do visit Mass enough to make it worth it.
I’ll see how much I return south but frankly I don’t see it happening too much. Sure our friends adult kids are getting married and there’s also a few people Id return for if they passed but I’m not bunking up at friends primary houses interfering with their lives to come down and say hi.
For well over 10 years I’ve been looking at getting the hell out of MA and that time is right around the corner.
If other states don’t require some bullshit interview then I can’t get very excited on going thru the process and if it resulted in a neutered LTC that would be 100% useless to me not forgetting the near 600 mile round trip.

600 miles - well you are pretty far up there then, so I see where you are coming from. Just FYI - the interview was just making sure I filled the form out right and that was it. Its actually less of a pain in the ass than when I had to get/renew my resident permit.

But I hear you, I wasn't a huge fan overall, but I did it since I do return once and a while.

Glad to hear you are getting out, enjoy!

I called MSP today and would have had a hard time finding someone this nice most everywhere down here in MA. She needed to look up a few things.
MSP is my issuer but I knew that.
Go to web and fill out only the first page of the resident application and print. Place a 2.00 check with the application.
Fill out tchange of address area once I actually move.
Fill out and mail within 30 days of taking residency.
Fresh permit will be mailed.

Done and over. No need for a fresh safety course and I couldn’t find that information in the applications.

Just to update this because nobody uses the search function. 😂

Fresh permit was applied for and issued in just about 7 days all through the USPS.

Still nothing from NH.

Back
Top Bottom