Maybe the Post office staff aren't so bad

So I was collecting the last bits of winter yard debris this Saturday when the mailman came up to me.

"Collected much ammo?" He asked.

Now I'm thinking, OMG a raving anti-gun liberal who has seen all my "American Rifleman" magazines. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that he is actually a fellow gun-nut and we spent the next 10 minutes talking guns and politics.

He also agreed that most fellow mailmen (and women) are very much anti-gun.

I also told him to checkout Northeastshooters.com

My postal lady just asks me to have my ammo sent via U[strike]S[/strike]PS instead so she doesn't have to lift multiple 40+lb boxes....

Last edited:
I've had cast bullets come USPS. Jack.

I am not suggesting that the USPS doesn't deliver ammo. They do. Doobie was saying his postal delivery agent (aka; the mail lady) wants him to use, and this part is in question, the USPS to send them instead so she doesn't have to lift the heavy boxes. I think he meant to type UPS, not USPS.

Dont you love federal empoyees - "hey can you use a private company from now on since I'm lazy...?"[rolleyes]

wow I remember the days when postal employees were great shots.

How 22 years has changed things

Was a mail carrier back in 94-96 and the post master and his managers found out I had a few guns. They brought me into the office (just me and them) and asked me how I liked my job and if I was happy with everyone. Kinda spooked me out but I guess they took the going postal thing too serious.

Was a mail carrier back in 94-96 and the post master and his managers found out I had a few guns. They brought me into the office (just me and them) and asked me how I liked my job and if I was happy with everyone.

Heh, you should have told them, "Everything is fine. You guys are great. But, you know, sometimes I just get so angry for no reason. I just feel like, you know, lashing out. Funny. But I guess everybody feels that way, huh? Well, have a good one guys."

"I am not suggesting that the USPS doesn't deliver ammo. They do."

Umm, its against postal regs to mail ammo....you know that, right?
UPS or other non-usps package delivery service only for ORM-D small arms ammunition. See ref below:

341.21 Nonmailable Explosives
Nonmailable explosives found in the mailstream must be immediately reported in accordance with POM 139.117.

Nonmailable explosives include, but are not limited to, the following:

Common Fireworks. Fireworks are classified as Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. Fireworks include roman candles, skyrockets, helicopter–type rockets, cylindrical and cone fountains, pyrotechnic wheels, illuminating torches, firecrackers, salutes, and combinations of items that are designed to produce any of the aforementioned types of effects. All types of fireworks are prohibited from mailing.
Fuses. Fuses are classified as Division 1.3 or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. All types of fuses (except safety fuses as permitted under 341.22) are prohibited from mailing.
Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any firearm, is prohibited from mailing.

Last edited:
Was a mail carrier back in 94-96 and the post master and his managers found out I had a few guns. They brought me into the office (just me and them) and asked me how I liked my job and if I was happy with everyone. Kinda spooked me out but I guess they took the going postal thing too serious.

How did they find out about yours guns? Just wondering if you mentioned it to other co-workers or if the brass did a records search to find out who had permits or something like that.[thinking]

/John

"I am not suggesting that the USPS doesn't deliver ammo. They do."

Umm, its against postal regs to mail ammo....you know that, right?
UPS or other non-usps package delivery service only for ORM-D small arms ammunition. See ref below:

Ammo is more than powder. Bullets are also ammo and they are not limited by that. Nor is unprimed brass. If you notice what Jack was saying, he was talking about lead cast bullets. Though I question just how well that regulation is adhered to, although I won't be elaborating.

I had 1000 350gn JHP .500 caliber bullets delivered by USPS to the house. My post man asked me, "Hey, are you into reloading?"

I told him, "Yeah, why?"

He said, "What else comes in 2 small boxes that weigh 25lbs each and rattle?"

How did they find out about yours guns? Just wondering if you mentioned it to other co-workers or if the brass did a records search to find out who had permits or something like that.[thinking]

/John

There were 3 or 4 guys into collecting and we got talking and someone overheard. One thing lead to another and I guess they wanted to see what my frame of mind was. Just a bit paranoid I guess.

Up until the early 70's the window clerks use to have Colt 38's seating in a holster nailed under the frame of counter.

All the guys that worked the mail train that went back and forth to New York carried Colt 38's and they had a arsenal of Shotguns and Thompson's Tommy Guns too in the baggage cars they worked in.

They also use to have a pistol range on the roof of the South Postal Annex for every one to qualify at.

That's why you see Colt 38's and holsters advertised for sale some times listed as a Post Office Gun.

Last edited:
I was going to reply to you that she was obviously kidding. But on second thought, maybe she wasn't [thinking]

No, she was kidding. at least as far as I could tell, she said it with a smile as she handed me the multiple boxes.

Back
Top Bottom